EJ3CTA

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I went from a Tacoma back in the early 2000's to two Legacies, and then a CR-V before I bought my RWD Sahara. I was worried about the same thing after having driven AWD for more than a decade. This winter will be interesting, but as long as you have good tires and don't drive like it's a race car you should be ok with RWD. Besides, you can always put it into 4H when the weather gets really bad.

I've always found black ice to be more of a problem in the Northeast and ice doesn't care what you drive.
Sponsored

Sunin-Retired

First Name
Sunin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue Rubi on order, 2013 Prius c, 1999 10th Anniversary Miata
Hello all I'm new here. I've had a 1999 TJ that I sold about 3 years ago so im not new to Wranglers but this will be my first daily driver. My wrangler was a second car and I had an Acura MDX as a primary. Used the wrangler for occasional off roading and kept it down at the shore house with top and doors off mostly just for cruising down there. So fast forward and two kids later I miss my Jeep. Been reading reading reviews how these are so much more improved on the pavement Im considering getting one as my primary car. Couple questions I have are: I'm used to AWD from driving the MDX and my current infiniti QX80 is the Sahara worth getting over the Rubicon just for that? I never drove the jeep in heavy rain and im worried about having a rear wheel drive all the time now especially with kids. Also if anyone has had both can they comment on the ride quality on highway driving vs Sahara and Rubicon. I will find out a little today but a little test drive isn't going to tell me much. Is the Rubicon much rougher ride? I don't see myself off roading much especially with kids now but I just love the Rubicon look and I will be changing the Sahara wheels and tires anyway so might as well just get the rubicon. Im just really apprehensive going from AWD to 2WD as a daily driver. Any thoughts will be appreciated thanks.
Will you be doing any true off-roading?

Brew211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLURM, Tundra, 2022 JLU 392 XR
Vehicle Showcase
I loved how the Rubicon looks but my budget, daily driving needs, and off roading needs (along with a very creative salesperson) led me to a Sport S with some immediate aftermarket upgrades including leather. After I bought it I had the Rubi shocks and springs installed along with take off Rubi tires and wheels.

That said, I've always swapped my Sahara and Sport JK shocks to the Rubis. I've noticed they ride better meaning more firm for better handling. The rumour was that Rancho makes them. Not confirmed. The Rubi tires will be firmer given they are all terrain. I drove my new Sport S for about a week prior to the shock, spring and tire changes. There is a slight difference in ride but I mean slight. I came from a 2018 Ram Longhorn 1500 and the first few days I knew I was now in a Wrangler again. Three weeks out I've already forgotten.

Bottom line, I got the look and features I wanted and saved $8K over the Rubi. I've done some pretty hairy wheelin' in my 2012 Sahara with a slight lift and M/Ts so all models are very capable.

Buy what you need. Looks can be changed. Mods happen. Here's my set up.

20180721_163310.jpg

Go Devils!

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Nobody needs a RUBICON--

All that's required is your inner self to want one

You can build up a Sport/Sahara to be able to OVERWHELM a RUBICON(STOCK), BUT

It still won't be a RUBICON

W.E.

JIMBO

Tex117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Unlimited Sport S (Sold); 2019 JLUR
OP, I am in the same boat as you. when I spec'ed out both the Sahara and the Rubicon, the Rubicon was only about 2000 more. Moreover, since I wanted a stick, I couldn't get the selec trac (a big feature on the Sahara). I came to the conclusion that I would really only be paying for the non-red dash feature of the Sahara where I could get much more value for 2000 with the Rubicon.

When I order when the banks open in Sept. it will be a Rubicon. (And praying that I will have a non-red dash option in black).

Sponsored

LouNYC

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
For me, the Sahara was a no brainer. I have no plans to go off roading. I have a family that wants to enjoy the Jeep as well. The Rubicon was too bumpy while sitting in the rear.

I have seen Sahara's do the MOAB trails. That was good enough for me. I live in NJ and my Jeep will mostly be parked in mall parking lots.

Whatever you decide you will still be winning. Good luck.

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
Buy what you like, like what you buy
Seriously have you looked into Jeeps Selec-Trac ? Might be worth looking into

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2015 SRT Grand Cherokee
I was like you also. Considered Sahara and Rubicon. North Jersey based also. Like you, I don't do much offroading - in fact, I drive about 100 miles roundtrip a day to get to/from work. I initially thought I wanted a Sahara but once I saw the Rubicon aggressive styling, I had to have it. Priced both out the way I wanted them, then factored in that I would be changing wheels, tires, etc. on the Sahara and it actually turned out cheaper to get the Rubi.

A few months, 6,600 miles later, no regrets with my manual JLUR. LOVE it and very happy with my choice. As others have said, get what you really want.

Vandy23

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JlU Sahara
North Jersey guy here as well to chime in...went with a Sahara but looking back I wish I had given the Rubicon more thought. I love that hood! Off roading not so much...rock crawling probably never, but damn that’s one aggressive looking vehicle!!

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RETIRED
I've seen a FORD CROWN VICTORIA--STOCK, do most of MOAB-

Make your OWN DECISION and be proud ofit-

W.E.

JIMBO

Sponsored

crash13

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I also traded in an MDX for my first Jeep. Punk’n Rubicon, loaded. Tested both and found very little difference in ride quality and noise. It will be my DD also. Downtown Toronto. in a suit daily. Mostly chose over the Sahara just in case I would go off-roading having never done it. Fast forward 6 weeks. Have been off-road 5 times, dinged all 4 rims, put on stronger Motobuilt diff covers, used the skid plates extensively (probably due to being a newbie:) and have driven through trails up to 30” deep in water. I’m addicted!
Nothing stops This vehicle. I’m wheeling beside guys with years of experience and they are amazed at what the stock Rubi JL can do.
Plus I love the look and was planning to upgrade the tires anyway. And With all these capabilities, I am not worried one ounce about a Canadian winter. Show me 4’ of snow and I’ll cruise through it on my 33 All Terrains in 4H. Pretty sure I’ll be the guy making a beer run next blizzard when others can’t get out of their driveways!

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RETIRED
Yeah, I'm the same way and have been for 10 years--

I'm the only one in my neighborhood that doesn't shovel the driveway WHEN IT SNOWS--

Not just the JL. but JK/RAM/RANGER, I've always just "DRIVE" outta the garage and back in--ya gotta love 4wd-

W.E.

JIMBO

RubyTheCon18

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon, 2016 Jeep Wrangler JK
Hello all I'm new here. I've had a 1999 TJ that I sold about 3 years ago so im not new to Wranglers but this will be my first daily driver. My wrangler was a second car and I had an Acura MDX as a primary. Used the wrangler for occasional off roading and kept it down at the shore house with top and doors off mostly just for cruising down there. So fast forward and two kids later I miss my Jeep. Been reading reading reviews how these are so much more improved on the pavement Im considering getting one as my primary car. Couple questions I have are: I'm used to AWD from driving the MDX and my current infiniti QX80 is the Sahara worth getting over the Rubicon just for that? I never drove the jeep in heavy rain and im worried about having a rear wheel drive all the time now especially with kids. Also if anyone has had both can they comment on the ride quality on highway driving vs Sahara and Rubicon. I will find out a little today but a little test drive isn't going to tell me much. Is the Rubicon much rougher ride? I don't see myself off roading much especially with kids now but I just love the Rubicon look and I will be changing the Sahara wheels and tires anyway so might as well just get the rubicon. Im just really apprehensive going from AWD to 2WD as a daily driver. Any thoughts will be appreciated thanks.
As far a the ride in a Rubicon, we drove our 2018 JLU from Central Indiana to Florida, a 19 hour drive, and the ride was comfortable and smooth.

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
...Couple questions I have are: I'm used to AWD from driving the MDX and my current infiniti QX80 is the Sahara worth getting over the Rubicon just for that? I never drove the jeep in heavy rain and im worried about having a rear wheel drive all the time now especially with kids. Also if anyone has had both can they comment on the ride quality on highway driving vs Sahara and Rubicon. I will find out a little today but a little test drive isn't going to tell me much. Is the Rubicon much rougher ride? I don't see myself off roading much especially with kids now but I just love the Rubicon look and I will be changing the Sahara wheels and tires anyway so might as well just get the rubicon. Im just really apprehensive going from AWD to 2WD as a daily driver. Any thoughts will be appreciated thanks.
I went from an M3 (wide tired RWD manual) to a JLUR. I'm happy with the purchase, did drive it at an offroad park once already, but liked the package aesthetic of a rubicon. You could do similar aftermarket with any JLU though.

-With a manual, you can chirp tires fairly easy on grade.
-Tires make some squeels on more parking lots than normal tires. (like when you're at a clean parking garage, but happens on some open blacktops too)
-Less traction stopping is noticeable.
-You will hear that road noise, especially braking, low speed turns with windows/top open.
-All of the above with any water or moisture on road.
-First few weeks I locked up once or twice.

I've gotten used to the above and my driving style has slowed to match the car...been more observant a little further ahead to get more reaction time.

I'd say the rubicon is aesthetically tougher/offroad looking, and expect that driving style/feel a little. I've been happy with it, but the Sahara AWD/tires would be more like the average SUV. Also, my spouses Toureag holds the road very well (braking, cornering) and amazing in any snow. It probably has a system more like the MDX/sahara. But going from a RWD sports sedan that made 1/4" snow feel like a rallycross, it should be an improvement for me! Haha.

Good luck with it. Try some test drives even if you factory order to see what you think.

EDIT: sorry for long post...but also going from 20 years of sports sedans I figure I would go all jeepy on this for the JLUR. YMMV :) Getting sahara and aftermarket stuff is very viable too (or sport if you don't need the AWD system).

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I was like you also. Considered Sahara and Rubicon. North Jersey based also. Like you, I don't do much offroading - in fact, I drive about 100 miles roundtrip a day to get to/from work. I initially thought I wanted a Sahara but once I saw the Rubicon aggressive styling, I had to have it. Priced both out the way I wanted them, then factored in that I would be changing wheels, tires, etc. on the Sahara and it actually turned out cheaper to get the Rubi.

A few months, 6,600 miles later, no regrets with my manual JLUR. LOVE it and very happy with my choice. As others have said, get what you really want.

Yep, this is the one vehicle (first new one too) that I just went with what I felt like and not the "right choice". LOL, think wranglers are like that?!?!
Sponsored