Going to MOAB. Need some guidance

MichaelT333

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys
I was hoping anyone who’s been there and is very familiar with it could help me out. I have a 2022 Willys two-door. I have a stock set up, except for a winch and bumpers. And I daily drive my jeep, and it is my only vehicle. I am not looking to go on trails that have a high probability of me destroying my vehicle is a stock Willys OK to do anything at Moab with? Are people going to laugh me out of the park?

Edit. When I say is a stock Willy’s OK to do anything I am referring to like is there a trail that I can do with it? I’m not asking if I can do every trail with it.
Sponsored

lashlee

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR 2.0 Turbo 4 (Wife's), Tesla M3P (mine)
Fins and Things for sure (I was behind a 2 door JK that was all stock), Porcupine Rim, and probably 7 Mile Rim. But like @BuyHold stated, RRW is a great site to use. The Moab book would be another option.

Jcsii

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mb, cj, tj, jt
Be prepared to air down your tires, makes the ride a LOT better on the trails.

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Order the Fun Treks Guide book and bring it in the Jeep. Plenty to do stock. There is more in that book than you could get done in a month.

https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Moab-Backroads-4-Wheel-Drive-Trails/dp/1934838292

The Red Rock guys mentioned above do a good job with very specific trail ratings. Fun Treks has a three tier system, but defines difficulty better in their trail reviews.

Edit: Note, Moab is not a park, it's the city in the middle of 100+ sq miles of off road trails.

KevinC11

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Willys, 2023 JT Mojave
Occupation
Gunsmith/EMT
To simply answer your question, yes, you can do a lot of Moab trails with a stock Jeep. People fly into Moab and rent a stock Jeep from Avis/etc. and drive trails all the time.

There are 100+ miles of trails throughout that can be done.

KevinC

willieself

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2006 TJ Sport
Occupation
Oil and Gas-Production Chemical
Gemini Bridges, Long Canyon, Shafer Trail and Potash Road, Chicken Corners, Hurrah Pass also, Fins and Things. All trails we did in our stock JK on our very first trip to Moab.

Get the 4th edition of the Fun Treks book and look up Trails Offroad website too. As has been mentioned rr4w.com is a great source for trail descriptions.

COJeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR, '23 Donkey because gas is too expensive
Clubs

When are you going to Moab? I'll be there next week with a couple people. We are running Fins & Things, a trail you most certainly can do in your vehicle. If you do it by yourself, and have never been wheeling before, it may be overwhelming. I took my stock JLUR there two weeks after I picked it up from the dealership. I went around the first two obstacles and got to the point where there are three options down. I got out and thought to myself, "what the heck did I get myself into?! I'm going to die." I was lucky enough to have a group of two come up behind me and take me in with them. It was a blast! Seeing other folks do the obstacles gave me the confidence I needed to do them. It also helped that at every large obstacle, their 4 kids got out and cheered me on, "MIKE! MIKE! MIKE! MIKE! YAYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!" It was a blast, those guys seriously made my day and I'll never forget that trip.

Anyway, also check out the facebook group Moab Friends for Wheeling. You'll definitely find someone to go with you and I highly recommend not going alone if this is your first wheeling trip. If you'll be there next week, we can connect and hit some trails together too. There's one that I'd really like to see you try where you go really fast down hill then ride through an arch as a loop, you get to go upside down in your Jeep! :LOL: Hopefully that's obvious that I kid.

OP
OP

MichaelT333

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys
Thanks for all the responses. This is great. I keep seeing YouTube videos of people in like quarter million dollar Jeeps. I was just worried pulling up in a stock Willy’s people would be like haha get out of here with that.

Sponsored

OP
OP

MichaelT333

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys
When are you going to Moab? I'll be there next week with a couple people. We are running Fins & Things, a trail you most certainly can do in your vehicle. If you do it by yourself, and have never been wheeling before, it may be overwhelming. I took my stock JLUR there two weeks after I picked it up from the dealership. I went around the first two obstacles and got to the point where there are three options down. I got out and thought to myself, "what the heck did I get myself into?! I'm going to die." I was lucky enough to have a group of two come up behind me and take me in with them. It was a blast! Seeing other folks do the obstacles gave me the confidence I needed to do them. It also helped that at every large obstacle, their 4 kids got out and cheered me on, "MIKE! MIKE! MIKE! MIKE! YAYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!" It was a blast, those guys seriously made my day and I'll never forget that trip.

Anyway, also check out the facebook group Moab Friends for Wheeling. You'll definitely find someone to go with you and I highly recommend not going alone if this is your first wheeling trip. If you'll be there next week, we can connect and hit some trails together too. There's one that I'd really like to see you try where you go really fast down hill then ride through an arch as a loop, you get to go upside down in your Jeep! :LOL: Hopefully that's obvious that I kid.
I am visiting family in a neighbor state but have to drive thru Moab to get there so I was gonna stop for a few days. It’s in a couple months. And that’s so funny you say that story the exact same thing happened to me. 1 week after getting my new Jeep I attended ocean city Maryland Jeep jam and they have an off road corse. My god was it insane. I was shaking the whole time as I am watching Jeeps in front of me almost flip over. And gouging out scratches on their body and doors. I just thought to myself what was I thinking. I’m about to badly damage my brand new Jeep. I still get nervous thinking about that day. I was able to do about half the stuff then bailed out the first chance I could as this trail was for much much nicer off roading Jeeps. I am just looking to not get myself in that situation again.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Thanks for all the responses. This is great. I keep seeing YouTube videos of people in like quarter million dollar Jeeps. I was just worried pulling up in a stock Willy’s people would be like haha get out of here with that.
You'll see all kinds of Jeeps there, you'll be fine as long as you don't have an angry grill or a hundred ducks on the dash. (even then, no ones gonna say anything)

andy29847

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I use both the Red Rock 4-Wheelers info and the Funtreks book when I go to Moab. Funtrek also has a good website where you can download .gpx files of the routes. For a first timers in a stock Jeep, I'd recommend that you stick to trails rated 3 or less on the Red Rock scale. The trails rated 4 and above are best restricted to experienced drivers in a modified vehicle who are traveling with others that can assist with recovery or repair.

Trails that would be fun for you: Pucker Pass, Potash Rd., the White Rim Trail, the back door into Arches, Onion Creek Rd, Hurrah Pass, and the Schaffer Switchbacks.

willieself

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2006 TJ Sport
Occupation
Oil and Gas-Production Chemical
If that does happen just blow it off and go do your thing and enjoy what a great place Moab is. There is something for everybody there.

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
I've done Moab twice. Once in 1989 in my old '86 Toyota 4WD pickup with 31" tires and no other mods. Did a bunch of trails but the area wasn't developed anything like it is today, so a lot of 'em weren't even named or well mapped. Anyway, the old Yota handled the trails real well.

Fast forward 32 years and I went to Moab again in October '21 in my 2dr 2021 JL 80th Edition. Only mod is 33" tires, but the rear axle has stock LSD and it has factory rock rails. I spent three days doing lots of trails and earned Badges of Honor for Fins, Hell's Revenge and Poison Spider. Locals advise me against trying Top of the World due to the trail being in bad shape at that time.

Your stock Willys is equipped very much like my 80th. You should do well on any trail not listed as extreme. As others have noted, the FunTreks Guide To Moab is pretty much indispensable. A stock JL will handle any of the easy and moderate trails w/o breaking a sweat. Just be careful in choosing which difficult trails to attempt.

Enjoy!
Sponsored