roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Anyone go this way?

I'm thinking of getting rid of as much metal in my winching gear as possible. I saw a video where the author got rid of his metal winch hook/shackle. He showed some videos of ropes breaking and the hook/shackle flying through the windshield.

I get it. Having a big metal hook/shackle on the end of a winch rope doesn't make much sense. Dang, I just bought a new pretty red shackle a few months ago too.

The Coolest Winch Fairlead You've Never Seen! Yankum Ropes Sets The Bar! - YouTube

How to Re-tie a Locking Brummel Loop at the end of your winch-line WITHOUT unspooling your winch!! - YouTube
Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Wouldn't switching to a synthetic line or using a line dampener be much easier? Both prevent the tension in the line building up and flying back toward your Jeep. If/when the line breaks, it just drops straight to the ground.

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

My only thought with this, is that most vehicles don't have tow points safe for a soft shackle/synthetic line, and you are going to end up putting a shackle in the recovery setup anyways.

Always good to eliminate extra weight and metal, though! I am using a Factor55 Flat Splicer because it weighs less than a standard hook and thimble, and can hook onto the factory tow points without extra connections and still protecting my winch line.

If you have the right gear, and know how to rig it, this seems like a cool setup too.

58Willys

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Back in the day, it was always standard practice to drop a loop of chain over the winch cable; so if anything broke the broken piece didn’t become a flying projectile. Carefully inspect any and all rigging before use.

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Wouldn't switching to a synthetic line or using a line dampener be much easier? Both prevent the tension in the line building up and flying back toward your Jeep. If/when the line breaks, it just drops straight to the ground.
I have a synthetic line. In fact, that's a requirement in going "metal-less". A synthetic line stretches like a rubber band. And yes, a line damper is to "catch" the energy of a broken line.

Synthetic Winch Line Breakage - YouTube

The breaking of the line like shown in the video, isn't as big a hazard as when a shackle connection breaks on the anchor end and there is a metal hook/shackle still on the line. The synthetic line has stored energy and will slingshot the hook back toward the winch. Yes, it won't have the energy of a steel cable, but the hook itself, has enough energy to injure. Even using a line damper is a calculated risk. You have to place the line damper where it will provide the most reduction of the hazard. But there is still a substantial hazard, particularly in a zone around the metal end fittings and the damper. Eliminating the metal in the system, drastically reduces the hazard.

Sponsored

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
My only thought with this, is that most vehicles don't have tow points safe for a soft shackle/synthetic line, and you are going to end up putting a shackle in the recovery setup anyways.

Always good to eliminate extra weight and metal, though! I am using a Factor55 Flat Splicer because it weighs less than a standard hook and thimble, and can hook onto the factory tow points without extra connections and still protecting my winch line.

If you have the right gear, and know how to rig it, this seems like a cool setup too.
I agree, sometimes using a metal shackle is inevitable. But when I use my winch to self-recover, I can see totally eliminating metal most of the time.

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I agree, sometimes using a metal shackle is inevitable. But when I use my winch to self-recover, I can see totally eliminating metal most of the time.
100% agree. For self recovery this seems great. I am thinking more along the lines of vehicle to vehicle recovery because at times that may be your only option.

Also, I know that bending a synthetic line over a point that is too narrow causes fatigue and possibly damage to the fibers. Is a standard bow shackle a wide enough point if you need to hook to another vehicle? If I recall, the diameter of the line comes in to play on this.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
100% agree. For self recovery this seems great. I am thinking more along the lines of vehicle to vehicle recovery because at times that may be your only option.

Also, I know that bending a synthetic line over a point that is too narrow causes fatigue and possibly damage to the fibers. Is a standard bow shackle a wide enough point if you need to hook to another vehicle? If I recall, the diameter of the line comes in to play on this.
That's why you always use a soft shackle instead of directly connecting your winch line. Let the soft shackle take the abuse, it's much easier and cheaper to replace.

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer

If you look at where a hook goes on your winch rope, there's your minimum bend radius.

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

That's why you always use a soft shackle instead of directly connecting your winch line. Let the soft shackle take the abuse, it's much easier and cheaper to replace.
Totally agree. I am just curious if the diameter of a soft shackle or standard 3/4" bow shackle is enough to prevent rope fatigue. I am sure it will be fine 99% of the time. Just something to look into.

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

If you look at where a hook goes on your winch rope, there's your minimum bend radius.
Typically there is a metal thimble on the end of the rope that keeps it from going past the minimum bend radius. This process eliminates that and potentially allows the line to bend past where it should.

It may not be an issue, but something to consider.
Sponsored