Jeep4Life0112

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Mojito)
Question for the community,

I currently am driving a 2018 Stock Rubicon which I purchased off the dealer lot 8/31/2018. Options include the updated Alpine speakers and dual top group. No substantial after market parts have been added. In the last 14 months I have put 30,000 miles on it.

Just out of curiosity, I am wondering how much cash (if any) could be generated by downgrading to a Sport JLU (2018-2020). I know there are a lot of variables (private sale vs. dealer trade). Not being well experienced in moving between vehicles, I am wondering if making the switch would result in any extra cash in my pockets at the end of the day. Would love the experience and recommendations of this community.

Thanks much
Sponsored

RockyMtnHigh

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon - Punk'n Orange
KBB puts you at about $39K if you sold it privately. A bone stock Sport 4 door starts at $31K, and then there's the dealer fees and whatnot.

I assume your reason to sell is cash motivated, so yes, you will have some in your pocket at the end of the day, but I don't think it'll be a boatload.

OP
OP
Jeep4Life0112

Jeep4Life0112

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Mojito)
KBB puts you at about $39K if you sold it privately. A bone stock Sport 4 door starts at $31K, and then there's the dealer fees and whatnot.

I assume your reason to sell is cash motivated, so yes, you will have some in your pocket at the end of the day, but I don't think it'll be a boatload.

Thanks, and yes it would be a cash-motivated decision. Wondering if at the end of the day I could reasonably expect to get between $5,000-$6,000 in the swap. If there is a high probability of that being true, I may begin researching this more. Unfortunately I have not been able to take advantage of the Rubi offroading capabilities to the degree I originally planned to, so would like to recoup some of that to put towards other hobbies. Appreciate the feedback.

bturleysc

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler
Vehicle Showcase
I got my base model Sport for 27K, so I would think you'd be able to pocket at least what you're expecting.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper

The only way to get a sport under 30k is by finding a good deal on one with manual transmission. The MSRP of a 2-D Sport with A/C and automatic trans is around 32k. That's a 2 door...

OP if you sell your Rubicon privately you could certainly end up with some money in your pocket anyway, but you'd have to go either 2D, or bone stock 4D.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeep4Life0112

Jeep4Life0112

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Mojito)
Your best chance at recuperating the most is to sell your vehicle privately and buying a used Sport to avoid additional fees and such.
I agree. This is probably the way I would end up going. Thanks for the advice.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
You might be able to find someone wanting to upgrade willing to trade plus cash. Seems like more people want to go from Sport to Rubicon than Rubicon to Sport.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

you want to go to a base sport with roll up windows?

trading in to a dealership towards a new sport, i dont think it would be worth it with what you'd actually walk away with when the smoke clears. not sure what your sales tax rate is but my area is almost 10%. if going for a Sport S, you'd probably break even.

You might be able to find someone wanting to upgrade willing to trade plus cash. Seems like more people want to go from Sport to Rubicon than Rubicon to Sport.
if you were in CA id totally be interested

Mangoman

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Occupation
Pharma R&D
I would think the mileage will hurt some toward trade in. 30,000 in a little over a year is a lot. To me it wouldn’t be worth it just to put a couple thousand in your pocket for other hobbies. I’d just be patient and put money in a savings account until you have what you need and keep your Rubicon.

Last edited:

TBULL52

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Is the Rubi paid off? I know that may seem like a dumb question but it means alot when talking about cash in pocket after your next transaction. The other thing to consider is that since your are trading down and the value of your car is greater than the value of the car you are buying the transaction is likely to be tax free if done at a dealership. You will likely get more in a private sale but will it be enough to make up for the tax free status of the trade in at a dealer? There are a tremendous amount of 2019 and even some 2018 model years left in stock across the country, you should be able to work a really good deal on one of those if you find one at a dealer near you. If your current jeep is paid off and you are willing to buy a 2018 or 2019 you should be able to walk away with 5-6K fairly easy. With that said, my guess is you will miss the refinement of the interior of your Rubi versus a bone stock sport a bunch. Good luck with whatever you do
Sponsored