Sponsored

Going from a Luxury SUV to a Jeep - Opinions Please!

Sleblanc63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JlUR 2.0L
Occupation
RV driver, wife annoyer and grand kid spoiler.
One thing to be aware of is the low end, kid like “presence” factor of a Jeep owner/driver. Late model, top of the line models of Porsche's and Benz’s seem to be associated with mid-age, financially successful ppl, unless they bought them on time, and/or they leased them, in which case anyone a notch or two above a poorboy can afford one. I especially cringe when I see some bloke over 35 years old driving a Wrangler. Kind of like ppl 35+ years old trying to look young, wearing teenager clothes. Yuk, how gross! Wranglers are meant to be owned and driven by kids, maybe 17 to 25 years old, and financially struggling. Just look at the plethora of posts on this board where so many ppl handwring over the base price being $33,000 vs/ an unaffordable $40,000. Point is, if you have to trade in that Porsche, just recognize the all new image you will be projecting. This may be perfectly fine in your mind, but just something to be aware of. You don’t see Wranglers parked in the driveways of a $5M+ houses, whereas you will see Benz’s living at these abodes. Jeep drivers wear Casio G-Shock $60 watches purchased online, whereas Benz drivers wear 18 kt solid gold watches. If you take a client out to dinner in your car, do you really want to project the image of a Jeep owner? Only you can answer this, of course, but it’s a serious business consideration to keep in mind. Once that Porsche is gone, it’s gone. Image, baby.

IMHO JM2C and YMMV! It’s all good!

Sooo... my punk ass jeep makes my coach look cheap? Top picture is my favorite "Image".... baby. AND I don't wear a watch. You're the kind of fool I like to catch out after I've had a couple...
mudJeep.jpg

JeepRV1.jpg
Sponsored

Reactions: McG

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
I know exactly what you're saying. I loved the Porsche, don't get me wrong, but it just didn't feel like ME. "Pretentious" is a good word for how it felt some situations. I never regretted buying the Porsche - I'm glad I did and I enjoyed the experience- but now that I'm in the Jeep, it just feels right.

This is so true about so many things in life. Sometimes you have to experience it to know if it's what you really want. Sadly, with cars, that can be expensive learning. :)

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
C13402D3-715F-4A64-8F35-6E4A41BB86EB.jpeg
My wife has a 2018 X5 and I have a 2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara. Love the Jeep! Not as refined as the X5, but more refined than I thought, when I test drove it. I got the hard and soft top. The stereo sounds much better with the hard top. I guess it bounces around inside better with the hard top. I have the upgraded stereo with the Alpine subwoofer. I honestly get more pleasure out of the Jeep than the BMW. Yes, the BMW is a better handling vehicle, but there is just something about the Jeep that I love. Lease it if you unsure.... I did put slightly larger tires and a 2” lift on it
What size tires are those?

RichD

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
One thing to be aware of is the low end, kid like “presence” factor of a Jeep owner/driver. Late model, top of the line models of Porsche's and Benz’s seem to be associated with mid-age, financially successful ppl, unless they bought them on time, and/or they leased them, in which case anyone a notch or two above a poorboy can afford one. I especially cringe when I see some bloke over 35 years old driving a Wrangler. Kind of like ppl 35+ years old trying to look young, wearing teenager clothes. Yuk, how gross! Wranglers are meant to be owned and driven by kids, maybe 17 to 25 years old, and financially struggling. Just look at the plethora of posts on this board where so many ppl handwring over the base price being $33,000 vs/ an unaffordable $40,000. Point is, if you have to trade in that Porsche, just recognize the all new image you will be projecting. This may be perfectly fine in your mind, but just something to be aware of. You don’t see Wranglers parked in the driveways of a $5M+ houses, whereas you will see Benz’s living at these abodes. Jeep drivers wear Casio G-Shock $60 watches purchased online, whereas Benz drivers wear 18 kt solid gold watches. If you take a client out to dinner in your car, do you really want to project the image of a Jeep owner? Only you can answer this, of course, but it’s a serious business consideration to keep in mind. Once that Porsche is gone, it’s gone. Image, baby.

Wow. Either you're yanking our chain, or you're absolutely clueless! Have a successful long career, put kids through college, pay for a few weddings and homes, say goodbye to your parents, then you can comment on what I drive!

Last edited:

amdl0705

First Name
Amber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 DII, 2019 JLUS
Occupation
Emergency Management
You took the words right out of my mouth! I have loved my Porsche and my previous Audi, but my god...I feel like I'm always worried about every little thing. At one point (I don't do this anymore) I was sitting on a towel so that the dye from my jeans wouldn't rub off on the light colored leather (is there an eye roll emoji anywhere??) As much as I love my car, at what point is it just not worth the anxiety? That's definitely another reason I'm drawn to the Jeeps so much.
I just traded my Land Rover Discovery Sport because of the heavy maintenance costs and worry about it being a luxury SUV. Sold my Grand Cherokee, bought the Rover in Nov 2018, traded it a week ago and bought JLU. Much happier.

Sponsored

douge7

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
I actually read that on another thread last week, so I called around, but none of the rental places within 50 miles of me had any Wranglers to rent. A couple even said they didn't think Jeeps were even an option.
I asked the salesman I have dealt with many times. I was torn BC everyone I asked about the Jeep either absolutely loved it or hated them. There does not seem to be any in between. Anyways my guy let me borrow one from the dealership for 4 days. I fell in the camp of loved it and could not be happier with this vehicle. Coming from a sports car (Camaro) not the same as you but very different vehicles so I was nervous. Have had my Sahara for 2 weeks now and I am so glad I moved into a Jeep.

TexRivers

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
I wasn't sure where to post this, and I'm new to this Forum, so I'm giving this a shot. Tomorrow I will be going to look at a new Jeep Wrangler MOAB Edition (if you aren't a fan, please refrain from voicing that opinion, this vehicles meets MY needs/wants). I'm in love with this vehicle but I haven't even test-driven it yet. I currently drive a 2017 Porsche Macan S, and before that I had an Audi Q5. My question is for anyone who may have previously been in a similar situation. Did you regret replacing your luxury vehicle with a Jeep? I completely understand its apples to oranges here, but I just wonder since they are so different, if I'll regret it later. Anyone have any thoughts?
I went from a Lexus GX460 to a 2019 Moab. The only negative on the Moab for me was the tire noise. I got a set of Rubi takeoffs for $600 and I’m 100% pleased.

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1999 Xj, 2001 Trans Am
Vehicle Showcase

Yeah...an entire wall of crap:

carlton191

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 C4S

Been lurking here for quite some time now, and this post finally pushed me to post. All I can say is this guy is an absolute tool. I currently drive a '17 Porsche 911 C4S, and previous to that drove an Audi S6. I'm trading in the Porsche and picking up a '19 Moab this week and absolutely can't wait.

Sponsored

MOPAR Boy

First Name
Moper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 G63, 2019 S63
There’s no need to compromise wealth flash for off-road prowess. Get yourself a beautiful but ultimate brawny Mercedes Benz G63! It exudes your huge wealth richie-richie status, yet it sports 3, count em, 3, diffs. At the same time, it commands and literally demands massive and instantaneous ultimate super successful capitalist filthy, dirty rich, wealth respect, particularly if you roll a brand new 2019 AMG G63. Problem totally solved!

Snayte

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hella Yella, 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn
Been lurking here for quite some time now, and this post finally pushed me to post. All I can say is this guy is an absolute tool. I currently drive a '17 Porsche 911 C4S, and previous to that drove an Audi S6. I'm trading in the Porsche and picking up a '19 Moab this week and absolutely can't wait.
Welcome to the group and the Jeep life.

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
Wait a minute. I have a Moab. I thought it was a luxury SUV...Darn it.

dibsman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
Didnt read 14 pages of comments but for whoever's asking: dont hesitate, just buy the damn wrangler. you wont regret it. I've had a benz ML, range rover sport, toyota highlander, ford escape and now a 19 JL sahara. The wrangler beats them all. Wish i bought it sooner.

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Wait a minute. I have a Moab. I thought it was a luxury SUV...Darn it.
Any loaded Jeep JL with Leather interior, rides better than a "Luxury" car. Because Luxury is in the eye of the beholder.