Sponsored

Going from a Luxury SUV to a Jeep - Opinions Please!

OP
OP
McG

McG

First Name
McKenzie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler MOAB, 2018 Toyota Tundra XP CrewMax
Well everyone has an opinion. Mine is this: If your heart is set on a Jeep (even a MOAB-:devil:) you NEED to buy it. You will not regret it one bit. If you get Leather interior and all the premium options like Alpine speakers and 8.4 Uconnect, you will not be able to tell the difference. IMHO
I got the Jeep Friday and it's fully loaded and I'm just happy as a clam!
Sponsored

PGFDE121

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 FX-35
Hi there! I was driving an Infiniti suv for the last several years. I had always wanted a Jeep for as long as I can remember. I finally did it and turned in my luxury suv for a Jeep Sahara. I also did a leveling kit and 33’s for tires and I couldn’t be happier! I drive on highway and we have gone off road. It’s great. Fun to drive all of the non luxury issues don’t bother me a bit. It def takes some getting used to as far as drive style but honestly I can’t wait to go places in my Jeep. Best decision I’ve made. Really is a lifestyle and so much fun.
I just sold my 2006 FX-35 to get the Jeep...and yeah, I miss the sportier feeling of the FX, but the Jeep brings other stuff to the table. Mainly, I can drive a convertible that I don't have to crawl into because its so low.

Reactions: McG

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
This is the dumbest reply I have ever heard. Wranglers driven by people over 35 are trying to look young? I don't know many 17-25 yo who can afford a $55k Rubi or even a $44k Sahara.

@McG - follow this guys advice and let what society, and him imp-articular, dictate what you should and shouldn't drive based on your age and income OR get the freaking Jeep and enjoy it for all it's worth. This guy is clueless and presumably a troll with that few number of posts. I just saw a 70 year old dude give me the Jeep wave the other day and it was great.
The deeper you get into owning your Jeep and and enjoying the Wrangler culture the more fun you will have.
Agree 100% . Jeeps are something I love to drive. I am over 60 and loving every minute of it. Not sure if I could have afforded this in my 20s-30s- heck even 40s. With kids, grade school,, high school, college, games,, dance recitals etc.... I didn't have time to think, much less buy a high priced car.

JL18

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
C13402D3-715F-4A64-8F35-6E4A41BB86EB.jpeg
My wife has a 2018 X5 and I have a 2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara. Love the Jeep! Not as refined as the X5, but more refined than I thought, when I test drove it. I got the hard and soft top. The stereo sounds much better with the hard top. I guess it bounces around inside better with the hard top. I have the upgraded stereo with the Alpine subwoofer. I honestly get more pleasure out of the Jeep than the BMW. Yes, the BMW is a better handling vehicle, but there is just something about the Jeep that I love. Lease it if you unsure.... I did put slightly larger tires and a 2” lift on it

Sponsored

Reasons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB / Black & Tan
Congrats on your new purchase. We too bought a MOAB because it can do 90% of what a Rubicon can. Plus, it is luxurious in and out.

This video shows just how capable our jeeps are with 2 caveats: 2" lift and bigger wheels.

Edit: our family is coming from forever owning Audis and BMWs. I still have my M3 but we have NO REGRETS transitioning into a JL Jeep.

I may even get rid of my M3 for a Gladiator once they become available to test drive.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Congrats on your new purchase. We too bought a MOAB because it can do 90% of what a Rubicon can. Plus, it is luxurious in and out.

This video shows just how capable our jeeps are with 2 caveats: 2" lift and bigger wheels.

Edit: our family is coming from forever owning Audis and BMWs. I still have my M3 but we have NO REGRETS transitioning into a JL Jeep.

I may even get rid of my M3 for a Gladiator once they become available to test drive.
FYI... all trim lines with a lift and bigger tires can do 90% of what the Rubi can do :)

We have a thread going called NC Roll Call (see link in my signature) if you'd like to jump on there. We let each other know when we will be at Uwharie, Windrock or other local trails.

MacMOAB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep MOAB
I wasn't sure where to post this, and I'm new to this Forum, so I'm giving this a shot. Tomorrow I will be going to look at a new Jeep Wrangler MOAB Edition (if you aren't a fan, please refrain from voicing that opinion, this vehicles meets MY needs/wants). I'm in love with this vehicle but I haven't even test-driven it yet. I currently drive a 2017 Porsche Macan S, and before that I had an Audi Q5. My question is for anyone who may have previously been in a similar situation. Did you regret replacing your luxury vehicle with a Jeep? I completely understand its apples to oranges here, but I just wonder since they are so different, if I'll regret it later. Anyone have any thoughts?
I have two (2) luxury vehicles and prefer my 2018 Jeep MOAB for around town driving, easy to handle, and fun to drive.

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Rubicon 3.6l, ‘20 JT Sport S
I actually read that on another thread last week, so I called around, but none of the rental places within 50 miles of me had any Wranglers to rent. A couple even said they didn't think Jeeps were even an option.
Did you try Turo?

Sponsored

Al13

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
I wasn't sure where to post this, and I'm new to this Forum, so I'm giving this a shot. Tomorrow I will be going to look at a new Jeep Wrangler MOAB Edition (if you aren't a fan, please refrain from voicing that opinion, this vehicles meets MY needs/wants). I'm in love with this vehicle but I haven't even test-driven it yet. I currently drive a 2017 Porsche Macan S, and before that I had an Audi Q5. My question is for anyone who may have previously been in a similar situation. Did you regret replacing your luxury vehicle with a Jeep? I completely understand its apples to oranges here, but I just wonder since they are so different, if I'll regret it later. Anyone have any thoughts?
I went from a 2015 BMW X5 to a 2019 Moab and don’t regret my decision at all. The Wrangler is more fun to drive and the Moab has every option my X5 had and all systems are easier to use. My wife has a 2018 Q5 and wants to trade. I did trade tires as the ones that came on the Moab were too loud for my personal taste.

Jcsieman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, Lexus RX 350
Yes and no, I went from a 2015 Mercedes. At times I miss the luxury and quiet cabin. But, overall, the Jeep is more “me”. I love the body on frame feel and the boxy front hood from the driver position. I also love taking the top and doors off and getting some nature or weekend drives around town. It is just fun. Only downside is it is a Jeep (not a Wrangler but meaning the FCA Jeep brand). There is a drop in quality there but overall I don’t mind it. They did a great job on it and having the Sahara helps bridge the “luxury” gap a little. I don’t worry about getting it off road a little, people dringing it with doors, or my kids getting it dirty. Just feels like a vehicle that is meant to take it....not something I should baby.

Driftyd

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JL rubicon
I will
I went from a Cadillac SRX AWD to my Rubicon and I haven’t looked back. I wouldn’t trade my Rubicon for 2 Cadillacs. I will say that the only thing that may bother you will be the wind noise but it’s a Jeep thing. I think once you drive it you’re decision will be made for you. I smile every time I look at my Rubicon so I say go for it you will love it.

Sleblanc63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JlUR 2.0L
Occupation
RV driver, wife annoyer and grand kid spoiler.
Oh really? I thought there were multiple choices! I've heard people talking about the different materials available in the past so I just assumed. Is one better than the other, or is it just personal preference in appearance?
There are two material choices in the trektop. I continually read where the less expensive one grey-ed and didn't want to stay dark black... so I dropped the extra. Love it.
Sponsored