Sponsored

Going from a Luxury SUV to a Jeep - Opinions Please!

OP
OP
McG

McG

First Name
McKenzie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler MOAB, 2018 Toyota Tundra XP CrewMax
I'm late to the party here but congrats on the new toy. I came from a fully loaded Land Rover and I smile every time I see my Rubicon. Even though it takes a little more work to drive it, I find it fun every time.

I haven't seen any mentions of this but I used to cringe at every pothole and dollar signs would flash before my eyes thinking of the parts and service call with the LR but the Jeep just shrugs them off. Plus, it's far easier to repair and get parts for than European cars, not to mention cheaper.

Enjoy the Jeep, it's unique abilities and the many waves and looks you'll get.
Thank you so much! Even though I've only had my Jeep since Friday, I keep finding myself looking for reasons to drive somewhere. And I love seeing it when I walk into the garage.
And YES about the potholes! I would wince every time I hit a pothole, or really rough railroad tracks in the Macan. But the Jeep takes it like a champ. It's awesome.
Sponsored

OP
OP
McG

McG

First Name
McKenzie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
McG

McG

First Name
McKenzie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wrestled with the same thing - traded in my Range Rover last week - couldn't be happier - drove it for 2 years - it just felt pretentious. I found my people. My Sahara rides as well as it did. If you decide it's not for you it'll at least gold it's value
I know exactly what you're saying. I loved the Porsche, don't get me wrong, but it just didn't feel like ME. "Pretentious" is a good word for how it felt some situations. I never regretted buying the Porsche - I'm glad I did and I enjoyed the experience- but now that I'm in the Jeep, it just feels right.

OP
OP
McG

McG

First Name
McKenzie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dont do that. The air pressure rises because the tires are heating up. When you park it again and they cool down, it will go back down again.

I dont know what the difference is between hot and cold but lets say 5psi.

30 colds then rises to 35 when hot.

If you let more air out to hit 30 when hot, then youll be at 25psi cold.

You dont want to go too low when hot or youll damage the tires. Ok for slow off road driving but not on a highway.

If people say 30 cold is good then where it lands when hot is the sweet spot.
Ahh, gotcha. Makes sense. I'll leave it be for now and see how it does.

Sponsored

Jeeper Fever

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2-Door Manual JLR
Dont do that. The air pressure rises because the tires are heating up. When you park it again and they cool down, it will go back down again.

I dont know what the difference is between hot and cold but lets say 5psi.

30 colds then rises to 35 when hot.

If you let more air out to hit 30 when hot, then youll be at 25psi cold.

You dont want to go too low when hot or youll damage the tires. Ok for slow off road driving but not on a highway.

If people say 30 cold is good then where it lands when hot is the sweet spot.
It won't rise that much. 28-29 cold rises 1-2 psi 'hot', tops. The sun, and ambient temperature, make a bigger difference than an hour or two of freeway driving. At 40+ psi, the tires don't heat up at all, no matter how long you drive.

This is for stock 33 KO2s on my JLR.

The difference is minimal, I run 28 psi, and drive on the freeway at around 85 mph. Yes, it handles better than at 32 psi. I checked.

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
It won't rise that much. 28-29 cold rises 1-2 psi 'hot', tops. The sun, and ambient temperature, make a bigger difference than an hour or two of freeway driving. At 40+ psi, the tires don't heat up at all, no matter how long you drive.

This is for stock 33 KO2s on my JLR.

The difference is minimal, I run 28 psi, and drive on the freeway at around 85 mph. Yes, it handles better than at 32 psi. I checked.
85 mph in a Wrangler?...Yikes! 85 mph at 28 psi in a Wrangler?....You CRAZY boy! Get ready to replace those KO2's soon. :like:

gentryTX

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
OP, I read the first and last pages of this thread so see you already got the Jeep...congrats!!! I traded in a BMW X5 for my JLUR. Best decision on a vehicle of my life...worst was buying a BMW and suffering through what the trade-in value was.

13 months and 20,000 miles in...I am just as excited driving this vehicle today than I was the day I brought it home. Has all the capability I could want or need at the moment and has proven to be a highway warrior (had to do a lot of unexpected highway driving the past year for my job.)

Enjoy it!

gentryTX

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
85 mph in a Wrangler?...Yikes! 85 mph at 28 psi in a Wrangler?....You CRAZY boy! Get ready to replace those KO2's soon. :like:
I don't condone going 85 MPH on just about any road, but fun fact...on stretches of Highway 130 that bypasses Austin, Texas the speed limit is 85 MPH. If your stock Wrangler cannot keep up with the pace of traffic then you might not want to hop on that road. Imagine being passed by a semi rock hauler that's going 90+ MPH.

TravisRogers

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
You’ll be happy. I came from a G63 and haven’t looked back. It’s a different car, a different ride, and a different experience.

I remember the first scratch on the G. I needed counseling and an Zanax. I have a real scuff on the Wrangler bumper and I feel I’m better for it. I let my kids eat in the Wrangler and I don’t even care if they put their feet on the seats.

People don’t think I’m a rich douchebag anymore, which is nice, and I’ve never come out to the Wrangler to find a bunch of kids leaning on it taking pictures. I’m probably going to go back to the luxury car at some point but it’s been a nice change.

Sponsored

First Name
MW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.0 l JLUR
I know exactly what you're saying. I loved the Porsche, don't get me wrong, but it just didn't feel like ME. "Pretentious" is a good word for how it felt some situations. I never regretted buying the Porsche - I'm glad I did and I enjoyed the experience- but now that I'm in the Jeep, it just feels right.
Almost every time I go somewhere someone will stop me to talk to me or ask questions or just comment on how cool it is. Today it happened on three different occasions and all three times it was other Jeep owners. It really is this unique family and an easy way to meet new people.

RobbieZ63

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I'm going into this fully aware that I can't reasonably expect a Jeep to drive as smooth as a Macan. But there's always that nagging in the back of my mind that if I pull the trigger, I'll regret it. One side of my mind is saying "Are you crazy? you have a Porsche, and you want to replace it with a Jeep??" and the other side is saying "GET THE JEEP, GET THE JEEP!"

I wish I could have both, but I unfortunately haven't won the lottery yet :) I feel like I'm getting to the point where after 6 years of driving luxury vehicles, and accepting all the costs that go with them, that maybe I'm ready for something more carefree and fun. And I can only imagine that driving around with the top off of a Jeep would check both of those points.
I am absolutely in your dilemma as we speak. "Are you crazy? Get the Jeep" dilemma. I have a 2018 BMW 4 Series, that, truth be told, Im a little disappointed with, for several reasons. I have a Wrangler on hold that should arrive this week, so I have to make a decision pretty quickly (relatively speaking. I could always back out) But Im pretty sure Im going Wrangler

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
You should have seen the guy in the YJ...

:P
Seriously though, I think you should reconsider running your tires at 9 psi below the recommended pressure. It might feel right to you, but running that low will shorten the tire tread and sidewall life. Remember, this isn't NASCAR.

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
I don't condone going 85 MPH on just about any road, but fun fact...on stretches of Highway 130 that bypasses Austin, Texas the speed limit is 85 MPH. If your stock Wrangler cannot keep up with the pace of traffic then you might not want to hop on that road. Imagine being passed by a semi rock hauler that's going 90+ MPH.
This reminds me of my first thought when I saw the Jeep's speedometer goes up to 120: "Wow, that's a bit optimistic, isn't it?" It is kinda like how when my 4-year-old wanted to wear his bike helmet while practicing his jumping, just to make sure he doesn't hurt his head if he hits it against a cloud - I guess it doesn't really do any harm, but I'm not sure I see the need.
Sponsored