Sponsored

Going from a Luxury SUV to a Jeep - Opinions Please!

walkerkm

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon, 2016 JKU, 2001 Harley Road King Classic, 1949 Chevy Fleetline, 1958 Chevy Apache
Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to quickly thank everyone for all of your opinions and such thoughtful responses. I truly appreciate the time you all took to help me in the past 24 hours. Truly overwhelmed! To anyone I haven't had a chance to respond to yet, I apologize. I was at the dealership much longer than I expected. So without further ado...here's my 2019 Wrangler Moab in Sting Grey!

The dealership let us take it out for a few hours to help with my decision, and having the time to drive it in different areas was wonderful. Also the rain stopped before we got there, so I didn't have to worry about that thankfully.

I'm absolutely thrilled with it, and my husband loves it too! The color is even better in person, the interior is so impressive, and it has all the features I want, except ventilated seats (not the end of the world, obviously). I got every option available as far as I know (except the dual top package, but I will buy a soft top soon).

I'm shocked at how spot-on everyone was with their description of driving a Jeep. It was so fun, and I had such a big smile on my face! The wind noise was loud on the highway of course, but it wasn't a deal breaker for me at all. The Alpine sound system sounds great and helps muffle any extraneous noise. And boy do those mud tires howl! We are going to be replacing those with KO2's (unfortunately the dealer wasn't willing to swap - again, not the end of the world). I've also just ordered a 13" replacement antenna.

The only thing that I'll need to adjust to is the loose steering. BIG difference from the Macan. But I feel like if that's the only issue I'm having, then I've made a good choice.

I don't want this post to turn into a novel, but again THANK YOU SO MUCH to everyone on this thread for all your help. The Jeep Community has already proven itself to be a great group. And I also already got my first "Jeep Wave". :) :)

20190405_154858.jpg
Congrats!!
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
We dropped the air down to 35 psi once we got home, and it has helped a bit. Doesn't feel so bouncy now.
The pressure they recommend is so high that the tread contact is on the center of the tire. This allows the contact to shift from side to side when a little steering input changes or road uneven surfaces. When the contact shifts from the center to the outer edge, it causes a steering input.

Some of us here believe FCA Jeep established the 37 psi for CAFE (required fuel economy minimums). Anyway 35 is still to high. It needs to be down around 30 cold. You'll get a low tire pressure light at that pressure. Either ignore it or get a Taser to reset the lower warning threshold.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
I think this comes down to how you use your Macan and how you're going to use the Jeep.

I traded in a Jag F-Pace with the supercharged V6. 340hp in an aluminum body was a helluva lot of fun. I was carving canyon roads all along the Rocky Mountains. It's just damn fun. However I wanted a different kind of fun. When I'm doing 100mph through these canyon roads, I'm the only person having the fun. When I'm going 15-20mph on a rocky trail to climb a mountain, it's with my family and we're having a blast together. Owning a Jeep, over he last year, has been an incredible family experience. While I miss my high speed hijinks I don't think I would trade my JLU to go back into a sports crossover. Maybe I would buy one as a 3rd vehicle (my wife has a JLU as well) but I wouldn't replace the JLU.

Oh, and one other thing, the Jeep community is VASTLY,,, VASTLY better than any Porsche community and I've owned a Porsche to know that. You'll feel like you have a new extended family. Plug into that community and you'll take your enjoyment of a Wrangler to a different level.

OP
OP
McG

McG

First Name
McKenzie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler MOAB, 2018 Toyota Tundra XP CrewMax
The pressure they recommend is so high that the tread contact is on the center of the tire. This allows the contact to shift from side to side when a little steering input changes or road uneven surfaces. When the contact shifts from the center to the outer edge, it causes a steering input.

Some of us here believe FCA Jeep established the 37 psi for CAFE (required fuel economy minimums). Anyway 35 is still to high. It needs to be down around 30 cold. You'll get a low tire pressure light at that pressure. Either ignore it or get a Taser to reset the lower warning threshold.
Oh, that's good to know, thank you! The pressure went up a little bit again after driving, so I do plan on letting a little more air out to offset that rise.

Sponsored

grapejuice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I'm late to the party here but congrats on the new toy. I came from a fully loaded Land Rover and I smile every time I see my Rubicon. Even though it takes a little more work to drive it, I find it fun every time.

I haven't seen any mentions of this but I used to cringe at every pothole and dollar signs would flash before my eyes thinking of the parts and service call with the LR but the Jeep just shrugs them off. Plus, it's far easier to repair and get parts for than European cars, not to mention cheaper.

Enjoy the Jeep, it's unique abilities and the many waves and looks you'll get.

shannond12

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
Reactions: McG

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
If you do not plan to do much off-roading, maybe you could consider some less agressive AT tires than KO2. I have MICHELIN LTX A/T2 on my LX 570 and they are very comfortable on road and quite good off-road (it there is not mud). I haven't heard about anyone having them on JL but maybe worth trying.
The K02s are very quiet. You don't hear them at all.

19SaharaLady

First Name
Crystal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
I wrestled with the same thing - traded in my Range Rover last week - couldn't be happier - drove it for 2 years - it just felt pretentious. I found my people. My Sahara rides as well as it did. If you decide it's not for you it'll at least gold it's value

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to quickly thank everyone for all of your opinions and such thoughtful responses. I truly appreciate the time you all took to help me in the past 24 hours. Truly overwhelmed! To anyone I haven't had a chance to respond to yet, I apologize. I was at the dealership much longer than I expected. So without further ado...here's my 2019 Wrangler Moab in Sting Grey!

The dealership let us take it out for a few hours to help with my decision, and having the time to drive it in different areas was wonderful. Also the rain stopped before we got there, so I didn't have to worry about that thankfully.

I'm absolutely thrilled with it, and my husband loves it too! The color is even better in person, the interior is so impressive, and it has all the features I want, except ventilated seats (not the end of the world, obviously). I got every option available as far as I know (except the dual top package, but I will buy a soft top soon).

I'm shocked at how spot-on everyone was with their description of driving a Jeep. It was so fun, and I had such a big smile on my face! The wind noise was loud on the highway of course, but it wasn't a deal breaker for me at all. The Alpine sound system sounds great and helps muffle any extraneous noise. And boy do those mud tires howl! We are going to be replacing those with KO2's (unfortunately the dealer wasn't willing to swap - again, not the end of the world). I've also just ordered a 13" replacement antenna.

The only thing that I'll need to adjust to is the loose steering. BIG difference from the Macan. But I feel like if that's the only issue I'm having, then I've made a good choice.

I don't want this post to turn into a novel, but again THANK YOU SO MUCH to everyone on this thread for all your help. The Jeep Community has already proven itself to be a great group. And I also already got my first "Jeep Wave". :) :)

20190405_154858.jpg
Congrats and welcome to the family!

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wrestled with the same thing - traded in my Range Rover last week - couldn't be happier - drove it for 2 years - it just felt pretentious. I found my people. My Sahara rides as well as it did. If you decide it's not for you it'll at least gold it's value
I notice there are a lot of luxury brand owners who have crossed shop the JL. I get what your saying. The Wrangler is a very approachable vehicle. A lot more down to earth. People from all walks of life seem to be drawn to it.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Oh, that's good to know, thank you! The pressure went up a little bit again after driving, so I do plan on letting a little more air out to offset that rise.
Dont do that. The air pressure rises because the tires are heating up. When you park it again and they cool down, it will go back down again.

I dont know what the difference is between hot and cold but lets say 5psi.

30 colds then rises to 35 when hot.

If you let more air out to hit 30 when hot, then youll be at 25psi cold.

You dont want to go too low when hot or youll damage the tires. Ok for slow off road driving but not on a highway.

If people say 30 cold is good then where it lands when hot is the sweet spot.

ClaytonW

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Lexus LX570
If people say 30 cold is good then where it lands when hot is the sweet spot.
30 psi cold for stock tires? I think that it's too low. Something like 33-34 psi cold should work fine for C rated tires. Try it and compare. I use 32 psi for 35" BFG KO2 C rated tires and lowering the pressure does not improve anything while driving on-road.

Frontal

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon 2.2 diesel
I have been driving Jeep GC's for the past 15 years, and normally change them every 4 years to make sure I have the latest model.

The last one was the Overland edition, and is what I would class as luxury vehicle.

Are there some features I miss?

There are a couple:

1) Adaptive cruise control, the best thing since sliced bread.

2) Seats the side back automatically to allow easy access.

3) Rain sensing wipers

4) Auto dimming headlights

Do I regret buying a JLU Wrangler?....... Never, just look at the smile on my face!

ClaytonW

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Lexus LX570
1) Adaptive cruise control, the best thing since sliced bread.
I still cannot understand why it's not available in Europe. In USA, we received it for 2019 models and it works great. I could not live without it :)
Sponsored