Sponsored

Going from a Luxury SUV to a Jeep - Opinions Please!

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Congratulations!!! I think the Sting Grey is a very cool color and the Moab looks amazing. I hope you have many fun miles in her!
Sponsored

Reactions: McG
OP
OP
McG

McG

First Name
McKenzie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler MOAB, 2018 Toyota Tundra XP CrewMax
Congratulations!!! I think the Sting Grey is a very cool color and the Moab looks amazing. I hope you have many fun miles in her!
Thank you so much!!

Impy5

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Congrats, love that color!

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
I traded my Buick Enclave which is probably the best riding SUV out there, The compromises for me was less towing capacity, way more noise especially at highway speeds. I lost cargo room (probably the biggest loss). As for the ride it is no Enclave and a far cry from ANY luxury SUV. We bought it to tow behind an RV and then off road fun at our destinations, (we have owned wranglers and other jeeps in the past though). The overall ride is just OK for a couple hours any more than that I definitely miss the smoother quite ride of the Enclave. More of an issue for my wife, so any long driving we use our Tesla, We have had the Wrangler for 8 months and only have 1000 miles on it though. We did a Seattle to Oregon Coast drive 2 weeks ago, it was quite windy which the wrangler does not handle well and it was quite noisy...

Also note that unlike most convertible cars where you can have a conversation at normal talking levels at highway speeds, not so in the neked Wrangler as the wind noise is loud where the radio is also not very audible, however when you get to lower speeds it is just fine and alot of fune to drive.

It is fun to drive, which is the attraction we have a Infinity G37 hardtop convertible (3rd Car) we are selling soon so the wrangler replaces our convertible (we have dual top option). So we overlook the ride quality for the summer fun factor and the fact it is a great TOAD for our Motorhome Travels.

Myself I would not buy a Wrangler for a main daily driver, that is just me though, many others do and are happy, however understand Wranglers have one of the shortest one owner life, meaning it is very common for people to buy a wrangler for a DD and sell or trade prematurely because it just was not what they expected or the ride was not satisfactory.

I know some will say then why did I buy it, well I think I explained it is not a main driver for us. With that said I could not be happier (with the exception of cargo space and tow capacity) with the wrangler for our use...

ClaytonW

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Lexus LX570
We are going to be replacing those with KO2's (unfortunately the dealer wasn't willing to swap - again, not the end of the world).
20190405_154858.jpg
If you do not plan to do much off-roading, maybe you could consider some less agressive AT tires than KO2. I have MICHELIN LTX A/T2 on my LX 570 and they are very comfortable on road and quite good off-road (it there is not mud). I haven't heard about anyone having them on JL but maybe worth trying.

Sponsored

Sippican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
I wasn't sure where to post this, and I'm new to this Forum, so I'm giving this a shot. Tomorrow I will be going to look at a new Jeep Wrangler MOAB Edition (if you aren't a fan, please refrain from voicing that opinion, this vehicles meets MY needs/wants). I'm in love with this vehicle but I haven't even test-driven it yet. I currently drive a 2017 Porsche Macan S, and before that I had an Audi Q5. My question is for anyone who may have previously been in a similar situation. Did you regret replacing your luxury vehicle with a Jeep? I completely understand its apples to oranges here, but I just wonder since they are so different, if I'll regret it later. Anyone have any thoughts?
I went from a 2015 Mercedes Benz GLK350 with all options ($56,9K). I traded it in for a 2018 Jeep JL Sahara.($52.3K) I love the Jeep so much more. I have every option on the Sahara that I had on the Mercedes, except the automatic high beams. The ride is a little different and actually better in some ways. The Benz had the low profile tires that would feel every pothole. The Sahara rolls right over them. Heated seats, heated wheel, all leather, all the bells and whistles. Love it. Glad I did it.

JohninSC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Congratulation!! And welcome to the Sting Gray family, your MOAB looks great.
My wife drive our Jeep mostly and has no complaints with 35" tires.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
... So without further ado...here's my 2019 Wrangler Moab in Sting Grey!
The only thing that I'll need to adjust to is the loose steering. ...

20190405_154858.jpg
Congratulations!

As for the steering, my Rubicon with the KO2 tires was a real handful on the 300 mile drive home at highway speeds. I was wondering if I had made a big mistake buying it. After reading the experienced members posts here, I lowered the tire pressure down to 34 initially. Getting an improvement, I proceded to lower pressure further, per the recommendations from members here. I currently run them at about 31-32 psi when warmed up. My JLUR drives fine at 75 mph on the freeways of L.A.. I can drive with one hand and drink coffee now. At 37 psi, it was 2 hands and white knuckles at anything over 55 mph.

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to quickly thank everyone for all of your opinions and such thoughtful responses. I truly appreciate the time you all took to help me in the past 24 hours. Truly overwhelmed! To anyone I haven't had a chance to respond to yet, I apologize. I was at the dealership much longer than I expected. So without further ado...here's my 2019 Wrangler Moab in Sting Grey!

The dealership let us take it out for a few hours to help with my decision, and having the time to drive it in different areas was wonderful. Also the rain stopped before we got there, so I didn't have to worry about that thankfully.

I'm absolutely thrilled with it, and my husband loves it too! The color is even better in person, the interior is so impressive, and it has all the features I want, except ventilated seats (not the end of the world, obviously). I got every option available as far as I know (except the dual top package, but I will buy a soft top soon).

I'm shocked at how spot-on everyone was with their description of driving a Jeep. It was so fun, and I had such a big smile on my face! The wind noise was loud on the highway of course, but it wasn't a deal breaker for me at all. The Alpine sound system sounds great and helps muffle any extraneous noise. And boy do those mud tires howl! We are going to be replacing those with KO2's (unfortunately the dealer wasn't willing to swap - again, not the end of the world). I've also just ordered a 13" replacement antenna.

The only thing that I'll need to adjust to is the loose steering. BIG difference from the Macan. But I feel like if that's the only issue I'm having, then I've made a good choice.

I don't want this post to turn into a novel, but again THANK YOU SO MUCH to everyone on this thread for all your help. The Jeep Community has already proven itself to be a great group. And I also already got my first "Jeep Wave". :) :)

20190405_154858.jpg
It’s gorgeous! Congrats! Now get that top off ASAP and enjoy the sunshine!

Sponsored

OP
OP
McG

McG

First Name
McKenzie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s gorgeous! Congrats! Now get that top off ASAP and enjoy the sunshine!
Thanks! As soon as this weather rolls through and the sun comes back out, we're gonna give it a go!

OP
OP
McG

McG

First Name
McKenzie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Congratulations!

As for the steering, my Rubicon with the KO2 tires was a real handful on the 300 mile drive home at highway speeds. I was wondering if I had made a big mistake buying it. After reading the experienced members posts here, I lowered the tire pressure down to 34 initially. Getting an improvement, I proceded to lower pressure further, per the recommendations from members here. I currently run them at about 31-32 psi when warmed up. My JLUR drives fine at 75 mph on the freeways of L.A.. I can drive with one hand and drink coffee now. At 37 psi, it was 2 hands and white knuckles at anything over 55 mph.
We dropped the air down to 35 psi once we got home, and it has helped a bit. Doesn't feel so bouncy now.

OP
OP
McG

McG

First Name
McKenzie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you're gonna get a soft top.......
newtop.jpg
What kind of soft top do you have? I hear some are much better than others, so I don't know where to start.

OP
OP
McG

McG

First Name
McKenzie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Congratulations it looks great, that's the one color I would consider over the black I have!
Thank you! My favorites are always Black and Gray :)

OP
OP
McG

McG

First Name
McKenzie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Congratulation!! And welcome to the Sting Gray family, your MOAB looks great.
My wife drive our Jeep mostly and has no complaints with 35" tires.

Thank you so much!
Sponsored