Sponsored

Going from a Luxury SUV to a Jeep - Opinions Please!

OP
OP
McG

McG

First Name
McKenzie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler MOAB, 2018 Toyota Tundra XP CrewMax
Then there is the trade in % on a Jeep when you go to sell it. Very few vehicles beat it.
I had no idea the trade in value was so good, but I can see why!
Sponsored

OP
OP
McG

McG

First Name
McKenzie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler MOAB, 2018 Toyota Tundra XP CrewMax
Got rid of my Acura MDX for a Moab 3 weeks ago. Love it! My only regret: I did not get the dual-top group. If you already know you’re going to get a soft top, it’s much cheaper to get the dual-top group than to buy a soft top afterward.
I definitely want a soft top too, but that's the one thing my particular jeep doesn't come with. Is that something they can just add at the dealership?

walkerkm

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon, 2016 JKU, 2001 Harley Road King Classic, 1949 Chevy Fleetline, 1958 Chevy Apache
Then there is the trade in % on a Jeep when you go to sell it. Very few vehicles beat it.
Very true...I just ordered a rubicon on Monday and will be trading in my 18 jl when it comes in (I’ve had the jl for 3 months) and I wasn’t taken to the cleaners on my trade in.

Reactions: McG

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
The wrangler is not a refined vehicle. It's not as comfortable as an SUV and it doesn't drive as nice as one. A wrangler is a cheap American car (@29k) and it feels like it. Yes you can load it with options but it doesnt make it a better vehicle. The quality is poor and its reliability is poor. And as a status symbol, nobody in the history of humankind has ever looked at a Wrangler and thought "Gosh that person is really doing well for himself!"

I love my Jeep (when it's not in the shop) but I love it for what makes it a Jeep. The good and the bad.

Last edited:

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
OP, I know you are already sold on the Moab trim but keep in mind it is the only one that comes with mud tires. They are noisier and less comfortable so you might consider changing them.

Sponsored

Chomper

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
The wrangler is not a refined vehicle. It's not as comfortable as an SUV and it doesn't drive as nice as one. A wrangler is a cheap American car (@29k) and it feels like it. Yes you can load it with options but it doesnt make it a better vehicle. The quality is poor and its reliability is poor. And as a status symbol, nobody in the history of humankind has ever looked at a Wrangler and thought "Gosh that person is really doing well for himself!"

I love my Jeep (when it's not in the shop) but I love it for what makes it a Jeep. The good and the bad.
Huh? The Jeep is an SUV. One of the very few remaining SUVs on the road.

Chomper

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I rented a 2018 JK Wrangler Unlimited Sahara last July for 10 days from Hertz. I drove straight through to Florida, an 1100 mile trip, with only stopping for food, gas and to let my son and dog stretch their legs.

Three adults, one three year old in a car seat, a German Shorthaired Pointer and luggage.

It was fine. No one was uncomfortable, though it was a very long day. We made the same 1100 mile return trip driving straight through.

My JL Wrangler Unlimited Sahara is much more comfortable to drive.

JEFFREY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JEEP MOAB 2016 BMW M4 CV
Good question. I've gotten a new BMW every 2 years since 1998. My last SUV was a 15 X5 M Sport. Loved it but I have to say that I might just love my Moab more. There's just something about it that makes it so much fun to drive. I've literally put like 30 miles on my M4 Convertible in the month since I picked up my Jeep. Go for it. I don't think you're regret it.

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I turned in my Bmw 535 and I miss the smoothness and many of the options, but I’m happy w my JLU sport. Hindsight, I should have done a sahara for the upgraded interior. JLU is definitley rough but that’s part of the charm, especially for the driving distances you stated.

Jeep It

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S in Firecracker Red
I wasn't sure where to post this, and I'm new to this Forum, so I'm giving this a shot. Tomorrow I will be going to look at a new Jeep Wrangler MOAB Edition (if you aren't a fan, please refrain from voicing that opinion, this vehicles meets MY needs/wants). I'm in love with this vehicle but I haven't even test-driven it yet. I currently drive a 2017 Porsche Macan S, and before that I had an Audi Q5. My question is for anyone who may have previously been in a similar situation. Did you regret replacing your luxury vehicle with a Jeep? I completely understand its apples to oranges here, but I just wonder since they are so different, if I'll regret it later. Anyone have any thoughts?
i didn’t come from a “luxury” vehicle, but it was a nice 2018 Honda CRV. Turbo 4 cal with a smooth ride, but I don’t miss it. My Jeep drives great, especially for a body on frame rig, and it’s my daily driver for 240-300 miles a week. It’s also rock steady, even at 80mph plus.

As long as you keep the right perspective going in, you’ll know after your test drive if you can part with your Macan or not. What is refined to one person is buckboard rough to another. Only you can make that call.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Sponsored

kdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon JLU (ordered), F430, 2012 JKU
Previous vehicles were the last two generations of BMW M5s. Rubicon is now DD. Here are thoughts:

Pros: For IN TOWN driving its perfect. Love the high stance and visibility. Kids can destroy interior, and room/utility for keys sports equip etc. Can park it anywhere, no concern of curbing wheels or handing keys to valet. Love that its a no worry vehicle. Electronics/CarPlay are really pretty great too.

Cons: for the infrequent highway trips for a 2-3 hours - a lot of wind noise, its loud, and generally a pretty shitty road trip vehicle.

shannond12

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
OP, I know you are already sold on the Moab trim but keep in mind it is the only one that comes with mud tires. They are noisier and less comfortable so you might consider changing them.
Yep - do as I did and drive straight to the tire store if the dealer wont switch them for you.

OP - you have heard plenty from others, but one more - we've owned a Range Rover, MB sedan and Raptor over the past few years. When it was time for new earlier this year, we traded in MB for Grand Cherokee for wife (over another RR) and we were so impressed, we bought the JLU Moab two weeks later. We were able to get two really nice rigs for same cost as the RR and the amount of fun and enjoyment is much higher than we've ever had out of any of our other vehicles. You already know the ride will not be as nice as your Macan, but based on how you are using it, the tradeoffs should be minimal and you can seriously go off-road if you want.

Two top for sure - either during order or aftermarket. It's the only way to go. Think my HT may only go back on during monsoon season or a super long road trip. It's that good.

Last edited:

jlsahara

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Over the last 3 years I’ve had two F-Pace S and a SQ5... I definitely love the Jeep more. Less stressful from somebody scratching up your car and more enjoyable as far as a rebel type of feel.

To be honest, at first it was more tiring to drive the Jeep but with 35’s and LCA’s, either I’ve gotten accustom to it or that setup has helped my Jeep from wondering all over the place. I love it now. I drive without a care or worried about somebody damaging my car since that’s what it is meant for anyways! Also, it has caused me to drive slower so less speeding tickets haha.

As some have mentioned, get used to a lightly more tiring drive and wind noise. I’m used to it now.

Willcbooth

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2015 Lexus GS350 FSport
Vehicle Showcase
My last car was a Lexus GS350 FSport. Bought my Rubicon with a lot of hesitation 6 months ago because of going from my last 4 luxury sport cars to a Jeep. The Lexus sat for 4 months straight after buying the Jeep before I finally got rid of it. 20k miles, and I absolutely love my Jeep. Its a lot more comfortable on long drives than my Lexus was, and has not given me any problems. My last two Lexus's were in the shop more times than I can count. The only down side, is the service at the dealers...I'm about to let my last 2 oil change/tire rotations from Jeep wave go due to the long wait at the dealership and do this myself. I miss going in for an oil change and driving off with a loaner for the day. But it's also brought back a lot of the missed wrenching on cars that I used to do, so I wont mind doing the oil changes.

ClaytonW

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Lexus LX570
I love my JLU Rubicon, but I could not have it for everyday driving. I have it just for off-road trips. With my JK, I could finally survive long trips from Nevada to Moab or Colorado. Now with JL it's even easier. Adaptive cruise control helps a lot on long trips. And of course, I can imagine living with JL if I would need to drive it just for short distances.
But I prefer to keep my Lexus LX570 for everyday driving. Thanks to the adaptive suspension, this SUV is great and comfortable both off-road and on highways. Just because of the stupid bumpers with low approach/departure angles, it's limited for easy off-road trails only. With some custom off-road bumpers and rock rails, it could do much more (it's actually Land Cruiser's twin).
Sponsored