Sponsored

Going from a Luxury SUV to a Jeep - Opinions Please!

OP
OP
McG

McG

First Name
McKenzie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler MOAB, 2018 Toyota Tundra XP CrewMax
Not “luxury” necessarily but I came out of an Acura sedan, and my wife still drives her Acura SUV. I prefer the Wrangler to each by a mile.
This is good to know! Do you ever take the Jeep on long-distance drives? If so, do you find it comfortable enough for that?
Sponsored

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
This is good to know! Do you ever take the Jeep on long-distance drives? If so, do you find it comfortable enough for that?
Yup. Taken it on 3-4 drives of about 700 miles round trip. It is no problem at all IMO. A little loud with the soft top, but no big deal, my kids just turn their iPads up a little.

Reactions: McG

Firemadz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Battalion Chief
I wasn't sure where to post this, and I'm new to this Forum, so I'm giving this a shot. Tomorrow I will be going to look at a new Jeep Wrangler MOAB Edition (if you aren't a fan, please refrain from voicing that opinion, this vehicles meets MY needs/wants). I'm in love with this vehicle but I haven't even test-driven it yet. I currently drive a 2017 Porsche Macan S, and before that I had an Audi Q5. My question is for anyone who may have previously been in a similar situation. Did you regret replacing your luxury vehicle with a Jeep? I completely understand its apples to oranges here, but I just wonder since they are so different, if I'll regret it later. Anyone have any thoughts?
I went from a 2008 Audi Q7 to a 2018 JLU Rubicon. I think the ride is much better overall.

OP
OP
McG

McG

First Name
McKenzie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yup. Taken it on 3-4 drives of about 700 miles round trip. It is no problem at all IMO. A little loud with the soft top, but no big deal, my kids just turn their iPads up a little.
Awesome, that makes me feel better. I'd probably keep the hard top on for traveling, so that would help. Thanks for the info!

OP
OP
McG

McG

First Name
McKenzie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I went from a 2008 Audi Q7 to a 2018 JLU Rubicon. I think the ride is much better overall.
Wow, really? I've heard the ride of a jeep described as "different", but not "better"! That's pretty impressive.

Sponsored

walkerkm

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon, 2016 JKU, 2001 Harley Road King Classic, 1949 Chevy Fleetline, 1958 Chevy Apache
This is some great information, thank you! I totally get it about how expensive even the "little" things are. The routine maintenance on my Macan ranges anywhere from $1000 to $2600 a pop! Just for an oil change and filter and the normal stuff! It's crazy. Don't get my started on the price of a replacement rim. I know for a fact I wouldn't miss all that. The model I'm looking at has all the options I would choose anyway, so at least I know I'd be happy with that aspect. I'm excited for the test drive tomorrow!
And all of the worring that comes with a luxury vehicle...did I lock it, is someone parked super close to me, is there a shopping cart touching it, could the wind blow and push a shopping cart into it, etc. it turns us into worriers...the cost of service, and upkeep, etc. enjoy your test drive and maybe ask them if you can keep it for a while-few hours. Take it on the highway, look it over, watch YouTube videos on it-my favorite is the factory video-watch how they’re made. Enjoy & have fun!

OP
OP
McG

McG

First Name
McKenzie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And all of the worring that comes with a luxury vehicle...did I lock it, is someone parked super close to me, is there a shopping cart touching it, could the wind blow and push a shopping cart into it, etc. it turns us into worriers...the cost of service, and upkeep, etc. enjoy your test drive and maybe ask them if you can keep it for a while-few hours. Take it on the highway, look it over, watch YouTube videos on it-my favorite is the factory video-watch how they’re made. Enjoy & have fun!
Glad to hear I'm not the only one constantly worrying about that stuff. It's exhausting.

And thank you!

m5guy

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 & 23 392, 23 JT, BMW M5, BMW X7, Denali 3500
My first post here. Wife is getting rid of her Escalade and going to drive the new Wrangler (JLUR) for the summer until the redesigned Escalade is released this fall. She likes the Jeep, but definitely would not suit her as a long-term daily driver, particularly through the winters. We got it as a fun vehicle to do everything from the beach to Silver lake to Drummond Island in Michigan.

Others have provided great guidance here - drive it and see what you think. I wouldn't put the Macan in the luxury vehicle class - more sport crossover - however my guess is you'll be most disturbed by road/wind noise not ride quality. Macan isn't the smoothest riding vehicle. Drive and decide if you can deal with the difference - weigh both the positives and the negatives.

mazeppa

First Name
y = x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
Don't forget to check the differences in insurance cost, I am assuming you will probably be delighted with the savings of the Wrangler compared to the Porsche premiums. Unbelievably Wrangler insurance cost are usually a better value compared other vehicles.

OP
OP
McG

McG

First Name
McKenzie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My first post here. Wife is getting rid of her Escalade and going to drive the new Wrangler (JLUR) for the summer until the redesigned Escalade is released this fall. She likes the Jeep, but definitely would not suit her as a long-term daily driver, particularly through the winters. We got it as a fun vehicle to do everything from the beach to Silver lake to Drummond Island in Michigan.

Others have provided great guidance here - drive it and see what you think. I wouldn't put the Macan in the luxury vehicle class - more sport crossover - however my guess is you'll be most disturbed by road/wind noise not ride quality. Macan isn't the smoothest riding vehicle. Drive and decide if you can deal with the difference - weigh both the positives and the negatives.

I'm not a luxury car connoisseur, I just like what I like. In my world, the Macan is luxury and it's the smoothest ride I've personally had in a car. That kind of stuff is subjective.
Regardless, you probably have a point about the noise. I've seen it mentioned in other threads. But to be fair, I do tend to listen to my music at a higher volume, so I might be able to get past that :)

Sponsored

NTX Black Moab

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab (Black on Black)
Vehicle Showcase
I've had many SUV's over the years and most were either luxury or higher end trims. I've wanted a Jeep Wrangler forever, but every GF (and ex-wife) said NO.

GF (soon to be fiance') got hooked on Jeep Wranglers a few years back, but that ended when she ended her previous relationship. We've been together for a while and she's always wanted another Jeep (her previous foray was owned by her ex). I was planning on looking later in the year, but I was at the dealership looking at Sahara's and there was one black Moab sitting all alone in the back. She had literally come off the truck two days earlier and hadn't even been prepped for sale.

The Moab has all the options a Sahara would have if you were looking to load it up. There are other Moab specific items that just made it unique. Once I saw it, I took a picture and GF said...whatever it takes. A couple of hours later, we were signing the paperwork.

The ride is definitely Jeep. I will say it is a nice ride, but it isn't quiet nor is it ultra luxurious. At the end of the day, it is a Wrangler. You can take the front Freedom Panels off or go completely topless or even better, doors off as well. You cannot do that with any other "luxury" SUV. You cannot get the kind of camaraderie that comes with being a part of the Jeep family. I've had my Jeep a week (I've actually only had a few hours of drive time as my GF has the the Jeep with her and we're doing joint custody till we move in together in 5 weeks) and we've had tons of fun in her already. We're already planning to join some of our local club events and even going to the BFG Ultimate Offroad Show this weekend.

Definitely drive all of them, I suspect, you will love the Moab as much as we do.

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
Then there is the trade in % on a Jeep when you go to sell it. Very few vehicles beat it.

OP
OP
McG

McG

First Name
McKenzie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't forget to check the differences in insurance cost, I am assuming you will probably be delighted with the savings of the Wrangler compared to the Porsche premiums. Unbelievably Wrangler insurance cost are usually a better value compared other vehicles.
Haha yes! I was fully expecting the jeep to be more in terms of insurance, but the quote our carrier gave us was cheaper! What a happy surprise!

bpdunsta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
Thank you for being so objective! I know they are two completely different cars, so saying one is "better" than the other isn't possible. I know I would miss the Porsche, especially when I'm in a hurry or need that nimble driving it provides (not to mention its really comfy). But at the same time, something about a Jeep just speaks to me, and it has for a long time.
I feel like the more I talk about it, the more I keep leaning towards the Jeep!
In the end, it all boils down to how the test drives go. I'll know immediately if I hate it, you know?

The Moab comes with the paint-matched hard top, which I would keep on during the winter months, but I would definitely buy a soft top too and put that on during the summer.

Thank you for your insight!
Got rid of my Acura MDX for a Moab 3 weeks ago. Love it! My only regret: I did not get the dual-top group. If you already know you’re going to get a soft top, it’s much cheaper to get the dual-top group than to buy a soft top afterward.

Reactions: VNT
OP
OP
McG

McG

First Name
McKenzie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've had many SUV's over the years and most were either luxury or higher end trims. I've wanted a Jeep Wrangler forever, but every GF (and ex-wife) said NO.

GF (soon to be fiance') got hooked on Jeep Wranglers a few years back, but that ended when she ended her previous relationship. We've been together for a while and she's always wanted another Jeep (her previous foray was owned by her ex). I was planning on looking later in the year, but I was at the dealership looking at Sahara's and there was one black Moab sitting all alone in the back. She had literally come off the truck two days earlier and hadn't even been prepped for sale.

The Moab has all the options a Sahara would have if you were looking to load it up. There are other Moab specific items that just made it unique. Once I saw it, I took a picture and GF said...whatever it takes. A couple of hours later, we were signing the paperwork.

The ride is definitely Jeep. I will say it is a nice ride, but it isn't quiet nor is it ultra luxurious. At the end of the day, it is a Wrangler. You can take the front Freedom Panels off or go completely topless or even better, doors off as well. You cannot do that with any other "luxury" SUV. You cannot get the kind of camaraderie that comes with being a part of the Jeep family. I've had my Jeep a week (I've actually only had a few hours of drive time as my GF has the the Jeep with her and we're doing joint custody till we move in together in 5 weeks) and we've had tons of fun in her already. We're already planning to join some of our local club events and even going to the BFG Ultimate Offroad Show this weekend.

Definitely drive all of them, I suspect, you will love the Moab as much as we do.
Oh, hi! I've seen your posts in one of the Moab threads. (I've been following them for months).
I'm glad to hear you guys are enjoying the Moab! I'm really excited to test it out tomorrow. The one I have on hold is the Sting Grey, and after seeing pictures of the same color in the Moab threads, I'm even more excited.
Also after reading on this forum for so long, I can already see what a great group the Jeep Community is - I haven't even bought one yet and everyone has been so helpful and nice!
Like you, I love all the configurations Jeeps offer, and it's one of the million reasons I've been contemplating this decision.
I hope you guys continue loving your Moab, and maybe I'll see you on the Moab thread soon if I make the purchase!
Thanks for the insight and congrats on your impending engagement!
Sponsored