Sponsored

Going from a Luxury SUV to a Jeep - Opinions Please!

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
I'm going into this fully aware that I can't reasonably expect a Jeep to drive as smooth as a Macan. But there's always that nagging in the back of my mind that if I pull the trigger, I'll regret it. One side of my mind is saying "Are you crazy? you have a Porsche, and you want to replace it with a Jeep??" and the other side is saying "GET THE JEEP, GET THE JEEP!"

I wish I could have both, but I unfortunately haven't won the lottery yet :) I feel like I'm getting to the point where after 6 years of driving luxury vehicles, and accepting all the costs that go with them, that maybe I'm ready for something more carefree and fun. And I can only imagine that driving around with the top off of a Jeep would check both of those points.
i dont regret the Jeep at all. After owning lots of vehicles over the last 37 years, I never really thought about the vehicle I drove after the first few days. Jeep is different deal. Love every single time I get in it.
Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
i dont regret the Jeep at all. After owning lots of vehicles over the last 37 years, I never really thought about the vehicle I drove after the first few days. Jeep is different deal. Love every single time I get in it.
This is true too. No matter how nice other cars are, after a while they’re just your car. If that even comes close to happening with your Jeep you just take the doors off and Bam! exciting again.

OP
OP
McG

McG

First Name
McKenzie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler MOAB, 2018 Toyota Tundra XP CrewMax
Not to get off topic here but I upgraded mine and I love it! Also, to note, it is actually almost $300 dollars cheaper than adding the option when purchasing :)

Now to get back on topic:

@McG

I think you will definitely miss the Porsche in certain ways, it’s a great vehicle and it’s very widely known for quality and class.

The Jeep Wrangler on the other hand IMO is also a great vehicle and is widely known for being fun and capable.

You’ll have a much different experience but I think you will enjoy it!

You live in SC it looks like, so, I’d go with just the soft-top option as you’ll never really need the hardtop down here unless you really want one (which I did at one point but decided against it because I’d never use it and didn’t have the extra space when not using it).

At the end of the day if I HAD to compare the two:

Porsche: Great vehicle, quality, class, serious!

Wrangler: Great vehicle, capable, lifestyle, fun!

Thank you for being so objective! I know they are two completely different cars, so saying one is "better" than the other isn't possible. I know I would miss the Porsche, especially when I'm in a hurry or need that nimble driving it provides (not to mention its really comfy). But at the same time, something about a Jeep just speaks to me, and it has for a long time.
I feel like the more I talk about it, the more I keep leaning towards the Jeep!
In the end, it all boils down to how the test drives go. I'll know immediately if I hate it, you know?

The Moab comes with the paint-matched hard top, which I would keep on during the winter months, but I would definitely buy a soft top too and put that on during the summer.

Thank you for your insight!

OP
OP
McG

McG

First Name
McKenzie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's actually a really good point! I've never missed any of my previous cars either, so why would this be different? Granted its the fanciest car I've ever owned, but its still just a car!

Tacoman03

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR Recon 2022 Bronco Raptor
Vehicle Showcase
So my options to drive daily are:
2018 RR Velar
2017 Jaguar F Pace
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon

Which would/do I choose to drive the most....Jeep 100%.........

Hope that helps...we actually just took a 3500 mile road trip from NW Arkansas to Williamsburg and back in the Rubi, storms and all, would do it again!

Sponsored

OP
OP
McG

McG

First Name
McKenzie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is true too. No matter how nice other cars are, after a while they’re just your car. If that even comes close to happening with your Jeep you just take the doors off and Bam! exciting again.
That's exactly what I was thinking! Everything loses its novelty after a while, even a Porsche. But a jeep has so many more options to keep it feeling fresh and fun, and I really love that.

OP
OP
McG

McG

First Name
McKenzie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So my options to drive daily are:
2018 RR Velar
2017 Jaguar F Pace
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon

Which would/do I choose to drive the most....Jeep 100%.........

Hope that helps...we actually just took a 3500 mile road trip from NW Arkansas to Williamsburg and back in the Rubi, storms and all, would do it again!
Yes, that's a huge help! You have quite the line-up, and to know that you consistently choose the Jeep to drive says a lot! Jealous that you have the option though!

OP
OP
McG

McG

First Name
McKenzie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One thing to consider (and you allude to this in your last post) is the “carefree and fun” aspect becomes internalized and subconscious. What I mean by that in other words is that you’re not constantly worrying about your Jeep. I went from a Wrangler to a really nice Mustang then back to a Wrangler because having a “luxury” car (a Mustang is luxury compared to a base 2006 Wrangler) means you’re constantly careful with it- to the point that it can make you anxious. A Jeep can be hosed down for god’s sake. I find myself much more relaxed with my vehicle when it can take the daily abuse and shrug it off.
You took the words right out of my mouth! I have loved my Porsche and my previous Audi, but my god...I feel like I'm always worried about every little thing. At one point (I don't do this anymore) I was sitting on a towel so that the dye from my jeans wouldn't rub off on the light colored leather (is there an eye roll emoji anywhere??) As much as I love my car, at what point is it just not worth the anxiety? That's definitely another reason I'm drawn to the Jeeps so much.

walkerkm

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon, 2016 JKU, 2001 Harley Road King Classic, 1949 Chevy Fleetline, 1958 Chevy Apache
Since 2005, I have driven an Escalade. We bought a brand new one every 2-3 years. So for the last 14 years I’ve been in an Escalade. In December, we traded in our spare vehicle (fj cruiser) for our 1st Jeep-2016 JK. I love driving it, but our daughter is driving the JK everyday and needs it so my driving time was limited...so I traded in my fully loaded 2016 Cadillac Escalade for a new Jl and love it! I actually don’t miss the Cadillac. I also don’t miss the $1500 to replace 1 stock rim when you hit a pothole, the excise tax, the depreciation, etc. The Jeep is not a luxury vehicle, but they have come a long long way and are very comfortable and definitely more fun! Definitely drive one for a while if you are unsure, but I was pleasantly surprised and love our Jeeps!

Sponsored

Ntegtmeyer

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2014 Jeep Patriot Oscar Mike Edition, 2012 Jeep Compass Limited
I’d definitely test drive it first and when you do make sure the tires are all properly inflated. From the factory the tires come over inflated so they don’t get flat spots sitting on the lot. I drop mine to about 34psi and then after driving for they bump up to where they should be at 36psi where they should be. Makes for a much more comfortable ride. With that being said, I think you’ll love the Jeep. Ive always owned Jeeps but have also had a 2016 Escalade at one point. I always caught myself taking the wrangler over the Escalade. The ride isn’t gonna be anything like your current vehicle, but it’s most definitely doable and really not terrible. I love my JL and would buy it all over again if I had to.

OP
OP
McG

McG

First Name
McKenzie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Since 2005, I have driven an Escalade. We bought a brand new one every 2-3 years. So for the last 14 years I’ve been in an Escalade. In December, we traded in our spare vehicle (fj cruiser) for our 1st Jeep-2016 JK. I love driving it, but our daughter is driving the JK everyday and needs it so my driving time was limited...so I traded in my fully loaded 2016 Cadillac Escalade for a new Jl and love it! I actually don’t miss the Cadillac. I also don’t miss the $1500 to replace 1 stock rim when you hit a pothole, the excise tax, the depreciation, etc. The Jeep is not a luxury vehicle, but they have come a long long way and are very comfortable and definitely more fun! Definitely drive one for a while if you are unsure, but I was pleasantly surprised and love our Jeeps!
This is some great information, thank you! I totally get it about how expensive even the "little" things are. The routine maintenance on my Macan ranges anywhere from $1000 to $2600 a pop! Just for an oil change and filter and the normal stuff! It's crazy. Don't get my started on the price of a replacement rim. I know for a fact I wouldn't miss all that. The model I'm looking at has all the options I would choose anyway, so at least I know I'd be happy with that aspect. I'm excited for the test drive tomorrow!

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
Not “luxury” necessarily but I came out of an Acura sedan, and my wife still drives her Acura SUV. I prefer the Wrangler to each by a mile.

OP
OP
McG

McG

First Name
McKenzie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’d definitely test drive it first and when you do make sure the tires are all properly inflated. From the factory the tires come over inflated so they don’t get flat spots sitting on the lot. I drop mine to about 34psi and then after driving for they bump up to where they should be at 36psi where they should be. Makes for a much more comfortable ride. With that being said, I think you’ll love the Jeep. Ive always owned Jeeps but have also had a 2016 Escalade at one point. I always caught myself taking the wrangler over the Escalade. The ride isn’t gonna be anything like your current vehicle, but it’s most definitely doable and really not terrible. I love my JL and would buy it all over again if I had to.

I read something about letting a little air out of the tires on another thread - I'm glad you reminded me!

I don't think anything will be as comfortable as my current car, but the more I read everyone's responses, the more I'm seeing that maybe I'm gonna really like this Jeep regardless!
Sponsored