Goin2drt's Sting Gray JLUR build

OP
OP

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Well it appears we finally found the issue. I poorly made cooler. The welds at the top were weak and that is where we could see it leaking. After reaching out to PSC they would not help at all.

Ordered the new cooler at Jeg's on my own dime ($100) and luckily it only cost me a bottle of bourbon to my mechanic to swap it out. Funny I noticed that even though PSC wouldn't help clearly they have had issues with the cooler because they now are doing a different one in the kits.

Oh well if this fixed it once and for all I am happy and let the other mods commence.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well the next project will finally be the top hoist. They came back in on Amazon and picked one up. I ordered the extra Topsy bracket and optional parts for the hoist.

Once that is up, off comes the top and I will start that project and document it. Going to paint the inside of the top black and install the Hothead headliners. I was going to install the less expensive Boom Mat headliner but then a member here was selling a new set of HH so I bought them. Stay tuned.

OP
OP

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Racor hoist install. I was waiting for these to come back in stock. I was deciding between this, the Lange and the Garage Smarts. Garage smarts just didn't seem to be worth the money for as littel as I will use this. Lange just went up in price and would not offer any discount. Couldn't beat this one for the price.

Over all the install was simple and the instructions are great. I took a lot of time deciding and measuring the exact placement. My joists were not perfectly lined up so I decided to mount off center about 4 inches rather than running 2 x 4's etc.

Also the rack mount to the tray if you will had really long bolts left after mounting them so I did not want those to scratch the top so I cut them all shorter with my dremel. Other than that I followed the instructions.

So far I will say this product is quality and seems very steady. The manual wind hoist is no big deal and I did use my drill to remove it for the first time. Works smooth and perfect.

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image5.jpeg

image6.jpeg

image7.jpeg

image8.jpeg

image9.jpeg

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Gecko Ordered 5/4/21 Delivered 8/27/21
Ive been thinking about getting one of these lifts for my hardtop, how tall are your ceilings? mine are only 9' and im wondering if it will still work

OP
OP

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ive been thinking about getting one of these lifts for my hardtop, how tall are your ceilings? mine are only 9' and im wondering if it will still work
9’10” and I have a ton of room. When removing the top I am limited to how far I can lift it up because of the garage door opener but still can lift it up off the Jeep as much as you see in the pic. Because it is off centered a bit I will have to park nose in first when the top is off.

Sponsored

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Gecko Ordered 5/4/21 Delivered 8/27/21
9’10” and I have a ton of room. When removing the top I am limited to how far I can lift it up because of the garage door opener but still can lift it up off the Jeep as much as you see in the pic. Because it is off centered a bit I will have to park nose in first when the top is off.
Thanks for the reply, I think my ceiling is like 9'2" or 9'3", so I might give it a shot

OP
OP

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Roof painted black and adding Hothead liners.

Well here are some before and after pics of the latest project. I painted the roof and added Hothead liners.
1. 3 cans of satin black spray paint from Lowe's
2. Lots of masking tape and drop cloths
3. I did hothead liners with sound assassin strips. I did this only because I got a great deal. I was actually going to do Boom Mat from Amazon instead. I think the HH are a bit on the pricey side.

A few pointers from what I did.
  • I removed the top and laid it flat on the ground.
  • I removed most all of the hardware and taped off everything really well. Also used a lot of paper and film to mask for no overspray.
  • Really not much prep other than clean the top. It is pretty rough already.
  • Everything else is pretty straight forward.
Looks great and finished. Just sitting in the Jeep you can tell it will be quieter as less echo. I will drive it and report back.

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image5.jpeg

image6.jpeg

image7.jpeg

image8.jpeg

image9.jpeg

image10.jpeg

image11.jpeg

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Nice rig journal brother...... Rig looks fantastic, and yours is definitely my favorite garage on here, lol..... my question is to do with the compressor mounted under the seat. How long does it take to air up? Does the heat generated from it affect anything, like the seat or back seat ? I’m still using portable viair, and it takes me 15 minutes to do all 4.

OP
OP

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice rig journal brother...... Rig looks fantastic, and yours is definitely my favorite garage on here, lol..... my question is to do with the compressor mounted under the seat. How long does it take to air up? Does the heat generated from it affect anything, like the seat or back seat ? I’m still using portable viair, and it takes me 15 minutes to do all 4.
Thank you. It does not get that warm. I originally had it in the engine bay before they had any other option. I am at about 12 minutes or so.

OP
OP

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Next project was the AFE high tuck exhaust.

I bought this one from @Northridge4x4 - https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...xp-hi-truck-axle-back-exhaust-system-w-no-tip

Instructions are pretty good. Hard to get to many of the bolts but once you get all the correct extensions figured out it was simple. The instructions do say it is easier to just remove the hanger brackets rather than trying to take the stock exhaust out of the hangers while installed. This was a game changer. Again tough to get to those 2 bolts for the 2 brackets but once you do all was good.

The new exhaust definitely looks better and has to be 40lbs lighter (I did not weigh it). For the $90 I think it is worth it. All it is really is a small piece of mandrel bent tubing and they finish off the tip not more more than that. AFE welds their big ugly logo on it but it will be out of the way enough. I bet the logo cost more than the rest of the pipe :CWL:

Here are a few pics of the install. I will review the sound once I take it out and spend a little time with it.
Jeep Wrangler JL Goin2drt's Sting Gray JLUR build IMG_7464
Jeep Wrangler JL Goin2drt's Sting Gray JLUR build IMG_7465
Jeep Wrangler JL Goin2drt's Sting Gray JLUR build IMG_7466
Jeep Wrangler JL Goin2drt's Sting Gray JLUR build IMG_7467
Jeep Wrangler JL Goin2drt's Sting Gray JLUR build IMG_7468

Sponsored

OP
OP

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First impression on the exhaust.

Nice “throaty” sound when getting on the gas. Makes the V6 sound a little more manly if you can really do that to a V6.

There is definitely drone at 2500 RPM in 5-7 gears. On the Highway once it gets into 8th gear it is fine and sounding like stock.

Juforrest

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Taco Truck
First off great build. It’s refreshing to see people give honest opinions about expensive mods that really aren’t that great.(PSC) what was your daily driver before the JL? Does the tire carrier still make noise with the extra weight of wheel tire combo?

OP
OP

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First off great build. It’s refreshing to see people give honest opinions about expensive mods that really aren’t that great.(PSC) what was your daily driver before the JL? Does the tire carrier still make noise with the extra weight of wheel tire combo?
Thank you, yeah no sponsorship here so I will give my honest opinion always.

Daily driver is a Subaru Crosstrek for work as I drive way too many miles a week for the JL. Wife drives a 17 Grand Cherokee.

I have been very happy with the LOD stuff. The wheel carrier does not rattle at all and we have had this monster spare on for quite some time. My only knock on LOD is their big ugly badging that is riveted in. Not a fan.

I have a Diode Dynamics 12” light bar coming next to install on the front bull bar. I bought the fog version as I actually need it for fog and very dark roads around here. I don’t do any night wheeling so I didn’t need a spot.

Juforrest

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Taco Truck
How would you rate the ride quality of your suspension setup? Is the Tazer a pain in the butt to use? Sorry for all the questions, I’m just trying to get as much info as possible before I buy.

OP
OP

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How would you rate the ride quality of your suspension setup? Is the Tazer a pain in the butt to use? Sorry for all the questions, I’m just trying to get as much info as possible before I buy.
Personally I think my lift is very close to a stock feel. It is not harsh and the only part where it feels different than stock is when hitting a pothole.

The Tazer is simple once you get the hang of it. It is not very intuitive but I watched a YT video from Eddie at way a life. Not I have had it for so long, married it and unmarried it, adjusted the different settings so many times it is second nature.
No problem with all the questions. Glad to help.
Sponsored