Goin2drt's Sting Gray JLUR build

OP
OP

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
I just want to say @Goin2drt I just really love this build and watching the progress as it takes shape. Any updates on anything? Are your components still working as well as you expected?
Nothing new. Next project is for the Jeep. Lift for the top and then I am going to paint the interior roof black and add hothead headliners.

I am completely happy with the entire set up. Only things I would change on the build if I was doing it now.
  • Mount the dual ARB under the passenger seat. This was not available when I built mine and just don't want to spend the few hundred bucks to change it.
  • I love my wheels but they are heavy as hell. No big deal driving etc but to remove that spare and change it cannot happen with one person. I get a little sketch about that.
  • Lastly it is small but it bugs me that my powder coated stuff like the bumpers etc do not match the String Gray perfectly.
Other than that I love it and it gets plenty of compliments.

Thanks for asking.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Finally got her out to see how it would go with all the new mods. We moved to KY and haven't had it out. Got to use the winch for the first time (once for someone else and once for me) and I will say completely happy with the Smittybuilt. It was weird but we were in a interesting situation where I needed to back up in 4WD Lo and it would stay in Lo and kept popping out. I finally got it to stay but it was frustrating. Also took a few times to get the lockers to lock.

Cleaning off the mud was a chore.

IMG_5516.jpeg

IMG_5520.jpeg

IMG_6271.jpeg

IMG_6276.jpeg

IMG_6279.jpeg

IMG_6280.jpeg

IMG_6297.jpg

OP
OP

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well today I finally moved the ARB. I bought my JL so early only option was the under hood mount. That was fine but now I moved to even more in-climate weather so I felt getting it inside would be better.

I bought and installed the Innovative JK under seat mount. I added the air hose system as well as the gauge system. $240 total.
https://www.innovativejkproducts.co...or-jeep-jlu-for-use-with-arb-twin-compressor/

The instructions are pretty good but here are my few details.
  1. I removed the passenger seat. Highly recommend this.
  2. I ran the wire down a very small opening between the fuse box and the body which kept it away from the exhaust and then up into the passenger drain plug hole.
  3. I connected it to the Aux switch system #3
  4. Taking apart the plug worked best with a paper clip (in the instructions) but when I marked the wires with a sharpie it came off so I guessed and got them right putting it back together.
This is what I will say about the product that is positive.
  1. It works great.
  2. The added gauge makes it nice as the valve pops when you get to your desired PSI when filling up.
  3. hose system seems very stout although you would think it is weak based on the connectors.
  4. Hose system is also very light and compact and they supply a bag to carry it.
  5. Instructions are well done
Things I do not like
  1. I feel sort of ripped off. It is not a good value at all. You could do the entire system for literally $30 or so if you had the time and the means to source the products. Now they did all the work and put it all together so you don't have to hassle but I bet the parts cost them about $20-$30 (maybe a little more but you get the point)
  2. For the bracket that the hose attaches to each seat would have been nice for a small template to drill the holes. no big deal but would have been nice.

fatmanontwowheels

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Well it is finally complete, for now. I had the lift and tires for months just sitting there. Finally took it in to get the RockKrawler 2.5" Adventures Series 3 installed, Fox shocks, under armor belly skids and then I just put on the Hutchinsons and Toyo's. Looks great by my standards. Tires don't look all that beefy in the pics but holy cow they are. Way wider as well.

Jeep Wrangler JL Goin2drt's Sting Gray JLUR build IMG_6297

Just curious to know is this your daily driver also? I am in the market for the Hutchinson's too and my Jeep is my dd. I had Racelines on my TJ and just could never get them balanced right, at lest not enough for daily driving on the interstate.

OP
OP

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just curious to know is this your daily driver also? I am in the market for the Hutchinson's too and my Jeep is my dd. I had Racelines on my TJ and just could never get them balanced right, at lest not enough for daily driving on the interstate.
Yes DD. I will tell you my tire shop said these were a bitch to mount and balance. They got it perfect but they said it wasn’t easy. Honestly love the wheels but they are heavy as hell. No way you are changing a spare solo.

Sponsored

fatmanontwowheels

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Yes DD. I will tell you my tire shop said these were a bitch to mount and balance. They got it perfect but they said it wasn’t easy. Honestly love the wheels but they are heavy as hell. No way you are changing a spare solo.
Yea the weight has me a little concerned too. I have the 2.0 and dont want to push my luck. Not to say the engine cant handle it and I am only going 35's so I still have some research to do. I pretty much have the wheels narrowed down to either AEV's or the Hutchinson's. Maybe Walker Evans.

Oh and did you sell the factory steel bumpers?

OP
OP

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea the weight has me a little concerned too. I have the 2.0 and dont want to push my luck. Not to say the engine cant handle it and I am only going 35's so I still have some research to do. I pretty much have the wheels narrowed down to either AEV's or the Hutchinson's. Maybe Walker Evans.

Oh and did you sell the factory steel bumpers?
I did sell the steel bumpers. The Hutchinson's are awesome and so far not many have them so I wanted that as well. I would have done the Black Rhino Armory if I didnt do these. I wanted the military look a bit.

OP
OP

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Time for some more mods so stay tuned as I will update this thread. On the docket.
  1. Front end trail camera - Amazon Camera with Tazer wire harness - already here and ready to tackle install.
  2. Ceiling lift - I think I am going Garage Smart but trying to get a deal and buy with a coupon to help the pain @Quadratec I am talking to you....any 20% off coupons?
  3. Then I will finally be taking off the top, painting the headliner black, adding dynomat and then Hothead Headliners.
Those will be the next projects. I still need to add a light bar to the top of the bull bar. I have a few other things I want to get done as well.

Last edited:

morreale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR / Shelby GT500
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
  1. Ceiling lift - I think I am going Garage Smart but trying to get a deal and buy with a coupon to help the pain @Quadratec I am talking to you....any 20% off coupons?
looking at this as well. let me know if you find a deal and i'll do the same.

OP
OP

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Goin2drt's Sting Gray JLUR build 13AAEA26-5E4B-449F-876D-FF63C7A50383
Jeep Wrangler JL Goin2drt's Sting Gray JLUR build 49E88CA9-EFD9-44C9-99F6-643CC35F590B
Jeep Wrangler JL Goin2drt's Sting Gray JLUR build 10CE7EAE-11FB-48FD-B3FC-591878B26715
Jeep Wrangler JL Goin2drt's Sting Gray JLUR build 50AE2D22-2607-4A9D-9581-F0CCB4E552A0
Jeep Wrangler JL Goin2drt's Sting Gray JLUR build 55B0E934-2A25-44FD-8135-F68D32F4583A
Jeep Wrangler JL Goin2drt's Sting Gray JLUR build F8295834-955D-4271-912E-09DFB0F899AB
Jeep Wrangler JL Goin2drt's Sting Gray JLUR build 3A9911AF-77F6-4510-ADDC-719D7F645014
Time for more mods. It has been awhile as it has been in the shop a lot getting the PSC steering system fixed.

Added I front off road camera
  1. Camera ordered was this one - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083SF5VVN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  2. Because I have a Tazer already I then ordered this connection plug - https://www.zautomotive.com/product/video-cable/
  3. I then ordered a few extra things all from Amazon; extra wire, micro add a fuse, 22.5mm drill bit and this stuff to run the wire through for a cleaner install - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082B7GK9C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
First started at the radio and followed the Zauto instruction for installing the video cable in the stock radio wire harness. I have an 18 so I used those specific holes.

First freebie FYI - the camera will have a very long cable to run from radio to front. At the radio there is a red power wire and the yellow video jack. YOU ONLY USE THE YELLOW VIDEO JACK. Red wire you don’t use.

Then I install the camera. It comes with a cheap drill bit drill the hole. It snapped and the hole drill part skipped on the paint and made for some ugly scratches. Get yourself a good bit. Ordered one from Amazon. Also got a rubber auto washer to use on the install to cover up some scratches. My bumper are gray and a bitch to color match.

Second freebie FYI. There is a green and white wire and the end by the camera. Cut both those loops for no grid lines and front facing. Fine print tells you that.

I then ran the ground and power through the nice heat shield and run the wire along driver side engine bay, up and over through the wire channel over to the fuse box. I used an add a fuse and used the heated seat spot in the fuse box. Grounded the wire right by the battery at those ground posts and completed.

Camera quality is no where near the rear but it will do. You can’t get HD on the front facing camera.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Added the @Redline Tuning Redline hood struts today. I ordered directly from them, used the code and they were $90. Ordered in the morning they were shipped same day and arrived 2 days later.

Packaging is quality and makes you feel good about spending the money. Instructions are perfect. I decided to cut about an inch of the weather stripping and secured it with double sided tape rather then have it flap over the bracket like the install pics.

I will say so far I am impressed. Gas shocks seems to be high quality and if the plastic ball ends hold up then winner winner chicken dinner.

Now time for a little old-fashioned with @Chocolate Thunder favorite bourbon Johnny Drumm

E021CCF0-07B7-4A8D-B7E2-198B93360495.jpeg

8AC6390F-242D-47AF-86D5-BCF2F64E78BD.jpeg

A681F7AA-1A59-41D9-A0A4-147CF091C93E.jpeg

417039CB-D616-4C3C-B39D-93DE144B8940.jpeg

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Added the @Redline Tuning Redline hood struts today. I ordered directly from them, used the code and they were $90. Ordered in the morning they were shipped same day and arrived 2 days later.

Packaging is quality and makes you feel good about spending the money. Instructions are perfect. I decided to cut about an inch of the weather stripping and secured it with double sided tape rather then have it flap over the bracket like the install pics.

I will say so far I am impressed. Gas shocks seems to be high quality and if the plastic ball ends hold up then winner winner chicken dinner.

Now time for a little old-fashioned with @Chocolate Thunder favorite bourbon Johnny Drumm

Jeep Wrangler JL Goin2drt's Sting Gray JLUR build 417039CB-D616-4C3C-B39D-93DE144B8940

Jeep Wrangler JL Goin2drt's Sting Gray JLUR build 417039CB-D616-4C3C-B39D-93DE144B8940

:LOL:
This is all I drank of this swill. It’s all that I ever will drink of it. If/when COVID-19 is ever over, I’ll pour it into a really fancy decanter and tell my alcoholic brother in law that it’s expensive “good stuff” and he’ll finish it off before the weekend is over. Nice Jeep.

image.jpg

OP
OP

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Still chasing my steering demons. Just ordered this so my mechanic and I (yes I am doing some wrenching with him) are going to replace the leaking PSC (which I am learning stands for Piece of Shit Company) cooler that they will do nothing about. Going with a better aftermarket version and hopefully this will finally kill the demons and we can focus on other mods.
Jeep Wrangler JL Goin2drt's Sting Gray JLUR build Screenshot_2020-11-03 B M 70266 SuperCooler Universal Cooler 20,500 BTU JEGS
Sponsored

Last edited: