GobiWan Family Build - 22 4xe JLUR

GobiWan

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU Rubicon 4xe
New to this forum but have wrenched on cars since I was a kid with my dad. I was also an engineer in a past life, so I like facts instead of anecdotal information. I'll only comment on what I have experienced first-hand but feel free to add if you've seen something different. Most modifications were fairly simple, and I completed myself, but a quick shout out to CloakWorks for installing my lift. These guys know more about jeeps than I ever will, and with all the geometries at play and the heavier weights of the 4xe, I'm glad I took it to the experts.

We purchased a Gobi 4xe Rubicon this summer so we could better explore the outdoors with our 4-year-old. So far, it's been everything we hoped for and more! Since this is a new hybrid powertrain, I figure this build might help folks as they work through the same things I have (weight, gearing limitations, warranties etc...). I also have the various heights at each stage since there has been debate regarding the 4xe due to its battery, different springs and heavier weight.

Current completed modifications:
- 2.5" MC gamechanger lift
- Fox 2.5 Series Shocks
- 37x12.5r17 Cooper SST Pro Tires
- Teraflex Alpha HD Tire Carrier and Carrier Kit
- MOPAR Rubicon Steel Front Bumper/Skid Plate (and switched over my blue tow hooks)
- MOPAR Grille Guard
- Warn Zeon 10s Winch
- Warn Power Interrupt Kit (to wire into Aux switches)
- Tekk Carbon Fiber Stubby Antenna
- RokBloks removable mud flaps

Modifications on order (Backorder actually):
- AMP XL Sidesteps

Future modifications expected
- Lighting
- Underbody protection
- Wheels (if I can decide on a look and am okay with the weights)

If you have any questions, feel free to shoot them my way (or PM if you want info on how I purchased them. This isn't a cheap hobby, but I use jeep fests, military discounts, or "friends of the forum" any chance I get to lessen the pain). Lastly, not sure if anyone has tried to regear a 4xe, but my understanding is you can't/shouldn't due to the ratios available and hybrid electronics. Let me know if you've done it and it actually worked.
Greg

ElectricalWork.jpg

FinalLiftHeight.jpg

GobiWanFinal.jpg

JeepFullyStock.jpg

NewTires.jpg

Outdoors.jpg
Sponsored

mikem20

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Nice 4xe build! 👍🏻
It’s good to hear about cloakworks. I’m probably going to have them re-gear my Jeep when the time is right. They’re pretty close by and are reasonably priced.

OP
OP
GobiWan

GobiWan

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU Rubicon 4xe
Nice 4xe build! 👍🏻
It’s good to hear about cloakworks. I’m probably going to have them re-gear my Jeep when the time is right. They’re pretty close by and are reasonably priced.
Thanks! CloakWorks did a great job for me and also let me know about the issue with gearing 4xe's, which I wasn't aware of. Also they do events at Prairie City a few times a year to test out your rig (I haven't been to any though). I plan on going out there on my own with some buddies just to see how everything is working.

Thanks again, and you have a mighty nice build yourself!

mikem20

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I’d been to a MC event at prairie city way back in 2013. It’s a good event. Matson is a cool dude and was giving people rides in his Jeep to let others feel how the suspension performed. They do instructional stuff too.
I haven’t been to PC in a while. I see there’s a newer rock section on the opposite end of the obstacle course.

Sponsored

mikem20

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I didn’t know there was a re-gear issue with 4xe’s 😳

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Jeep looks absolutely great, but after all these prime mods, I wonder why you would cheap out on the wheels ??? Unless these big rubbers fit without spacers which I doubt?!?

OP
OP
GobiWan

GobiWan

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU Rubicon 4xe
I’d been to a MC event at prairie city way back in 2013. It’s a good event. Matson is a cool dude and was giving people rides in his Jeep to let others feel how the suspension performed. They do instructional stuff too.
I haven’t been to PC in a while. I see there’s a newer rock section on the opposite end of the obstacle course.
Good to hear it's a quality event from someone that's actually been. I may try and go to their next one and bring the family. Like I said, this is a "Family" build so I look for stuff that's offroad fun and/or out in nature but won't completely terrify the lady or be too unsafe for my little man. They love it which makes it all the more enjoyable for me.

OP
OP
GobiWan

GobiWan

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU Rubicon 4xe
I didn’t know there was a re-gear issue with 4xe’s 😳
I'd definitely consult your mechanic, but folks I trust said don't do it. I'm waiting to hear from someone successful.

OP
OP
GobiWan

GobiWan

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU Rubicon 4xe
Jeep looks absolutely great, but after all these prime mods, I wonder why you would cheap out on the wheels ??? Unless these big rubbers fit without spacers which I doubt?!?
Thanks! Oh and I definitely have spacers. Synergy to be specific and the tires wouldn't fit and clear correctly (or look as good) without them. For me, I think wheels affect the appearance more than most any other mod so I'm very critical of my choice here. Plus I was shocked when I learned the stock wheel only weighs like 21 lbs (or 28 after you add the spacer). So basically, I'm looking for a wheel that's 17x9 (~5" backspacing), weighs around 35 lbs and is something that I really like. Once I decide, you'll be seeing another post about my build.

Real quick, since I love to soapbox, weight is something not enough folks think about and physics is real. 37s range from the 70s to 100 lbs. Adding 20 to 50 lbs at each corner is a lot (the stock tire is around 50 lbs). Wheels also have a huge weight range. I was looking at some Dirty Life wheels which I thought looked badass, but they were dang near 45 lbs. So yeah when you're adding this type of un-sprung weight then you should at least give it some pause. It'll probably seem like it's running fine at first... but physics do catch up. Lastly, I give Jeep a ton of credit here. The JL is actually lighter (not by much) than the JK which is unheard of in the auto industry... a new Hummer weighs over 9000 lbs

Sponsored

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Thanks! Oh and I definitely have spacers. Synergy to be specific and the tires wouldn't fit and clear correctly (or look as good) without them. For me, I think wheels affect the appearance more than most any other mod so I'm very critical of my choice here. Plus I was shocked when I learned the stock wheel only weighs like 21 lbs (or 28 after you add the spacer). So basically, I'm looking for a wheel that's 17x9 (~5" backspacing), weighs around 35 lbs and is something that I really like. Once I decide, you'll be seeing another post about my build.

Real quick, since I love to soapbox, weight is something not enough folks think about and physics is real. 37s range from the 70s to 100 lbs. Adding 20 to 50 lbs at each corner is a lot (the stock tire is around 50 lbs). Wheels also have a huge weight range. I was looking at some Dirty Life wheels which I thought looked badass, but they were dang near 45 lbs. So yeah when you're adding this type of un-sprung weight then you should at least give it some pause. It'll probably seem like it's running fine at first... but physics do catch up. Lastly, I give Jeep a ton of credit here. The JL is actually lighter (not by much) than the JK which is unheard of in the auto industry... a new Hummer weighs over 9000 lbs
I get it... On Gobi , especially with a black top, Black wheels would look great and I would go for Military style to compliment the color, or maybe even get the wheels bodycolored.

My wheels are Black Rhinos, are 17x8.5 with 0 offset, therefore 4.75 inch of backspace. They weight 27lbs. I too, pay a lot of attention in wheel/tire weight combo which greatly affected both my choice of wheels and tires.

I know that some Rubi wheels are 22-23 lbs, but are YOUR model Rubi wheels 22-23 lbs ???. Before my Black Rhinos, I had the Rubi Upgraded wheels, but they weighted 25lbs. I found that out after splitting the wheels and tires for ease of sale. So I only added 2 pounds at each corner for wheels that were 1 inch wider.

OP
OP
GobiWan

GobiWan

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU Rubicon 4xe
I get it... On Gobi , especially with a black top, Black wheels would look great and I would go for Military style to compliment the color, or maybe even get the wheels bodycolored.

My wheels are Black Rhinos, are 17x8.5 with 0 offset, therefore 4.75 inch of backspace. They weight 27lbs. I too, pay a lot of attention in wheel/tire weight combo which greatly affected both my choice of wheels and tires.

I know that some Rubi wheels are 22-23 lbs, but are YOUR model Rubi wheels 22-23 lbs ???. Before my Black Rhinos, I had the Rubi Upgraded wheels, but they weighted 25lbs. I found that out after splitting the wheels and tires for ease of sale. So I only added 2 pounds at each corner for wheels that were 1 inch wider.
I'm also a big fan of Black Rhino wheels. You've got a nice build going. Have you had any issues?

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
I'm also a big fan of Black Rhino wheels. You've got a nice build going. Have you had any issues?
Nope, Only problems I’ve had was regarding the rear defrost connection coming off. Had rear glass replaced once. Until I decided to have it replaced by an aftermarket glass. No problem since. Also had 8.4 radio replaced once because it was bugging and recently that radio’s screen has started to delaminize.

Other than that, just the recalls….

Jeepless

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR XR
Can I ask you how tall your jeep is to the top? I’m debating between 2.5 vs 3.5 and 37” but have a roof rack and need to fit under 80” for garage. Your stance looks killer.

OP
OP
GobiWan

GobiWan

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU Rubicon 4xe
Can I ask you how tall your jeep is to the top? I’m debating between 2.5 vs 3.5 and 37” but have a roof rack and need to fit under 80” for garage. Your stance looks killer.
I’m out of town but will measure when I get back. I will say it’s probably gonna be pretty tight. I’ll have pics for just how tight though.
Sponsored