Sponsored

Gobi stealth roof rack and Baja design lights installed!

Mred000

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Hey
I have the Mopar 2” lift and 35” tires
Awesome thanks, that's what I have for lift (not installed yet) and also what i am planning for tires, yours looks right where I want mine to sit.... Thanks
Sponsored

DToxic

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
So I do have wind noise on the passenger side,
My JL is really loud inside even with the Mopar headliner thing.
I’m thinking I’ll do a sound deading type of headliner down the road
Is the cabin noise from your tires?

OP
OP
James

James

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2018 Jaguar XE, 2018 Fiat 500E
Occupation
Real Estate Broker
Is the cabin noise from your tires?
No,
I always had noise from the hardtop, adding the rack and lights made a lot more. It also killed my mpg

imapseudonym

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Hella Yella Rubicon
No,
I always had noise from the hardtop, adding the rack and lights made a lot more. It also killed my mpg
Making me doubt my Gobi purchase ha. Love the look and the Gobi is the only rack that seems like it will work with the soft top. But definitely not excited about a crap ton more noise and killing mpg. Maybe I should dump my RTT and call it a day ha

OP
OP
James

James

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Real Estate Broker
Making me doubt my Gobi purchase ha. Love the look and the Gobi is the only rack that seems like it will work with the soft top. But definitely not excited about a crap ton more noise and killing mpg. Maybe I should dump my RTT and call it a day ha
Your going to love it!

I did have a problem after this trip, I bent both upper tabs for the top Stabilizers.
I called gobi, they are making me a new set with heavy duty tabs and I’m sending the ones I have back for them to inspect.

I keep telling all these aftermarket companies to send me their products they want tested to find their weak links. Lol

After going a RTT I’ll never go back to a ground tent! The Ikamper makes camping supper enjoyable. I now have a mini RV that can go almost anywhere

Sponsored

cliff538

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cliff538.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Your going to love it!

I did have a problem after this trip, I bent both upper tabs for the top Stabilizers.
I called gobi, they are making me a new set with heavy duty tabs and I’m sending the ones I have back for them to inspect.

I keep telling all these aftermarket companies to send me their products they want tested to find their weak links. Lol

After going a RTT I’ll never go back to a ground tent! The Ikamper makes camping supper enjoyable. I now have a mini RV that can go almost anywhere
James,

I have the gobi rack and iKamper on my JL too. Ever since I put the iKamper tent on I've lost good satellite radio reception. It cuts out enough to where I can't really listen to it anymore. Do you have this problem with the XM radio? I think I just need to relocate my XM antenna.

OP
OP
James

James

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Real Estate Broker
James,

I have the gobi rack and iKamper on my JL too. Ever since I put the iKamper tent on I've lost good satellite radio reception. It cuts out enough to where I can't really listen to it anymore. Do you have this problem with the XM radio? I think I just need to relocate my XM antenna.
It did the same thing to me. My buddy with a JK relocated his XM antenna to solve this problem. I’ll have to do the same down the road

cliff538

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cliff538.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
It did the same thing to me. My buddy with a JK relocated his XM antenna to solve this problem. I’ll have to do the same down the road
Appreciate it!

If you ever find out how to do it or a kit to relocate let us know!

I've been searching for a kit of some sort but so far no luck.

grapejuice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Great build. With the 35s, 2 inch lift and rack, what is the total height? I'm wanting the same for my jlur but might go to a rhino rack since it's lower profile.

OP
OP
James

James

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Real Estate Broker
Great build. With the 35s, 2 inch lift and rack, what is the total height? I'm wanting the same for my jlur but might go to a rhino rack since it's lower profile.
Hey

It fits in a standard garage no problem. With the Ikamper it’s a no go for the garage.
The gobi rack is supper heavy duty and does not require any cutting or drilling to install.
The only part that sucks is the wait time

Sponsored

OUTZDR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
I also ordered my rack shortly after it came available as well (I think early April). Got it a few weeks ago and installed. Minor increase in wind noise but I also have very good aftermarket sound deadening panels. Gas mileage has plummeted though- but it’s been very windy around here lately so I can’t tell if massive headwinds are affecting this as there are times the Jeep wants to stay in 6th vs easily shifting to 8th pre-rack. Still deciding on what lights front/side/rear and which RTT I’ll go with.

D41BF1B0-30CB-41D7-BF83-1C411A88D888.jpeg

FE48710B-5648-4D14-8D3E-45A9F68DA098.jpeg

12CF79A2-896A-4832-86A7-A6DE94B50147.jpeg

OP
OP
James

James

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Real Estate Broker
I also ordered my rack shortly after it came available as well (I think early April). Got it a few weeks ago and installed. Minor increase in wind noise but I also have very good aftermarket sound deadening panels. Gas mileage has plummeted though- but it’s been very windy around here lately so I can’t tell if massive headwinds are affecting this as there are times the Jeep wants to stay in 6th vs easily shifting to 8th pre-rack. Still deciding on what lights front/side/rear and which RTT I’ll go with.

D41BF1B0-30CB-41D7-BF83-1C411A88D888.jpeg

FE48710B-5648-4D14-8D3E-45A9F68DA098.jpeg

12CF79A2-896A-4832-86A7-A6DE94B50147.jpeg
Looks great!

Are you going to have anything heavy on the rack?
If so you need to put red loctite on all of the nuts and bolts! And I mean every dam one of them!
Can you tell if your rear upper brackets are heavy duty? They had to send me replacement ones because I bent mine really bad.

RisingEagle

First Name
Armond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4DR Ocean Blue Rubicon
Yup, this is what I found as well. Anything on the top of the Jeep will crush your gas mileage, especially highway speeds (70-75mph). I installed some Thule gutter racks and a Tepui 3-man tent, and from that I went from 20mpg to about 16mpg on the highway (Georgia to DC). The Tepui sits about 12" up, so it was just catching a lot of wind to begin with. It didn't feel like it affected handling, but I sure noticed the noise AND the gas mileage hit.
Even with JUST the Thule Aeroblades on the Jeep, I was getting a lot of cabin noise; more than I would have expected

James,
I think the satellite antenna is pretty sensitive; when I had the rack and tent up on top, I couldn't use the SiriusXM either. luckily with the new-Jeep-purchase you get the full package of XM - which includes the XM app for your phone - so if you have unlimited data, for the first year you can use Apple CarPlay (or Android) and just use the XM app streamed through your phone. I found it actually works better; if you get a call or something, it 'pauses' the radio play and you pick up where you left off. You can also fast-forward past songs you don't care for (or commercials on talk radio channels) - I believe it was like 10 fast-forwards or something. really convenient

I've since taken the rack and tent off the Jeep. I might give the backbone a shot, but I use the Jeep as a commuter and daily-drive it. Having a tent up there seems to be about a 20% punch to gas mileage which, more than anything else, affects how often I actually have to stop to get gas. Maybe having a quick-release system so the tent can go on and off pretty quick would help, not sure what just the rack will do to mileage.

I also have the Hothead Headliners - those things are amazing. I added the sound deadening strips and I've had people (who have been in plenty of Jeeps in the past) get in mine and go holy-cow this is one quiet Jeep. Just as important - the wife now stays warm when it's cold out; those things really help a lot with the heat. I'd recommend if you go with those to spring for the sound-deadening strips, and take your time, follow the directions for installing.

Wonder if the Ursa Minor would hurt gas mileage like a rack + tent. I really like how those seem to work over the tent. Of course in a perfect world I'd have some type of hammock configuration...

time will tell

OUTZDR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Looks great!

Are you going to have anything heavy on the rack?
If so you need to put red loctite on all of the nuts and bolts! And I mean every dam one of them!
Can you tell if your rear upper brackets are heavy duty? They had to send me replacement ones because I bent mine really bad.
How can you tell if they’re heavy duty? Is there a diameter difference? I will be using a rooftop tent and will carry other gear occasionally up there. Sucks that you had that issue-considering we paid nearly $2000 for a rack that takes 8 months to arrive and is supposed to accommodate 800lbs static/300 lbs moving weight, it should be monstrously sturdy right out of the box.

OUTZDR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
I also have the Hothead Headliners - those things are amazing. I added the sound deadening strips and I've had people (who have been in plenty of Jeeps in the past) get in mine and go holy-cow this is one quiet Jeep. Just as important - the wife now stays warm when it's cold out; those things really help a lot with the heat. I'd recommend if you go with those to spring for the sound-deadening strips, and take your time, follow the directions for installing.
Yep I have those too and agree one of the best things I did to the Jeep (and I think the very first thing I did to it).
Sponsored