Gobi Rack Installed on 2 Door Sport

MNML_OVRLND

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S
Just received and installed my gobi rack on a JL sport 2 door. Really happy with the rack, but noticing a rattle (almost sounds like it’s hitting the back of the hardtop with the adjustable bumpers). I’ve tightened these down fully and it still seems to be making the noise. The wind noise isn’t a problem at all and on road, it is very quiet, it is just when I hit dirt. Haven’t had it on long enough to know how the MPG is affected yet.

Anyone else run into this issue / have a solve?

pics below:
Jeep Wrangler JL Gobi Rack Installed on 2 Door Sport F2DD1B1B-6478-4AB3-9281-BD9FF54EF67F

Jeep Wrangler JL Gobi Rack Installed on 2 Door Sport 65442154-1844-43A8-8C1C-B70FC69133BD
Sponsored

Myron

First Name
Myron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler, 1964 Land Rover SIIA 88
Wish I could help you debug your rattle, but just wanted to say nice job. I have a 2-door and have considered the Gobi, and yours looks great!

What bumper and winch are you using?

Myron

OP
OP
MNML_OVRLND

MNML_OVRLND

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S
Wish I could help you debug your rattle, but just wanted to say nice job. I have a 2-door and have considered the Gobi, and yours looks great!

What bumper and winch are you using?

Myron
Thanks Myron! The bumper is the Quadratec QRC Stubby bumper. (I’d like to go aluminum at some point but I haven’t seen any on the market that I love yet). The winch is a Warn EVO 8 synthetic line. Haven’t had to use it for any recoveries yet, but seemed to work great when I was putting the tension on the line.

As for the rattle, I’ve started messing around with adjusting the bolts and got it to improve slightly today. I think it’s user error and I just need to keep adjusting until it goes away... fingers crossed I can figure it out.

NewbieJL

First Name
Suanne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-door Rubicon JL
Just received and installed my gobi rack on a JL sport 2 door. Really happy with the rack, but noticing a rattle (almost sounds like it’s hitting the back of the hardtop with the adjustable bumpers). I’ve tightened these down fully and it still seems to be making the noise. The wind noise isn’t a problem at all and on road, it is very quiet, it is just when I hit dirt. Haven’t had it on long enough to know how the MPG is affected yet.

Anyone else run into this issue / have a solve?

pics below:
Jeep Wrangler JL Gobi Rack Installed on 2 Door Sport 65442154-1844-43A8-8C1C-B70FC69133BD

I am considering the Gobi for my 2 door JL Rubicon. Can you remove your hard top completely with this rack? This looks great! I ordered the Maximus 3 for 2 door Wranglers months ago and am still waiting. I may need to make a change.

OP
OP
MNML_OVRLND

MNML_OVRLND

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S
I am considering the Gobi for my 2 door JL Rubicon. Can you remove your hard top completely with this rack? This looks great! I ordered the Maximus 3 for 2 door Wranglers months ago and am still waiting. I may need to make a change.
It’s definitely a great looking rack, that’s what sold me on it, always wanted one for my JK and never pulled the trigger. You can remove the whole roof with this rack, the rack pivots back on the hinges above the rear bumper, but you would have to remove the roof towards the side. I know people do it, but I can’t imagine it is that easy... I have a rooftop tent on order, so I am pretty much saying goodbye to the convertible aspect. There is enough room to remove the freedom panels pretty easily still though.

If you end up switching, the wait time for the Gobi’s is extremely long... I ordered mine in early Jan and just received it, so about 7 months. It all depends on how many they have on order though.

Sponsored

dArwich77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Hi,

I just installed the rack yesterday, and I hear some rattling in the rear from teh drivers side, as you said, I adjusted as much as I could.

Did you found where the rattling came from?

I also have a pair of left over pieces wow that cant figure out where they go :whew:

thx for the help!!

OP
OP
MNML_OVRLND

MNML_OVRLND

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S
Hi,

I just installed the rack yesterday, and I hear some rattling in the rear from teh drivers side, as you said, I adjusted as much as I could.

Did you found where the rattling came from?

I also have a pair of left over pieces wow that cant figure out where they go :whew:

thx for the help!!
I never exactly found what was causing the rattle... but I’m happy to say that it is gone now.

I found that the plastic knobs that I hand tightened in the back, I never tightened that with the 1/2” box wrench, once I did that it got better. I also noticed that the plastic knobs were a little down on the threads, so I backed them off to be at the end of the threads to get the maximum travel to push up against the hardtop. That made the rattle much better but it was still there slightly on the occasional bump.

I also realized that I never fully dropped the front bracket that goes through the door bolt (have somone pull back on the rack and then tighten down this bracket). Not sure if that made a difference, but it was something I did.

I have since put a rooftop tent on the rack and since then the rattle is gone. I don’t know if the extra 95 lbs on the rack is helping to hold everything down or if it just needed to settle a little bit. I think it might have had to do something with the roof sticker / protection plates, not fully curing yet and maybe that just takes a couple of days.

Did you ever find out where the extra pieces went? I only had 1 washer left at the end of the install, which I’m guessing was just an extra since I checked every bolt that needed one.

TheLodgeOne

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Looks good! I am at about week 9 of my gobi rack wait time that I ordered back in July! I'm super excited.

Which spec rack is that? I ordered the stealth with multi-light set up. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is that the ranger?

I also have a soft top, so looking at the tightening tabs on top for the hard tops always makes me nervous that it won't be as stable.

OP
OP
MNML_OVRLND

MNML_OVRLND

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S
Looks good! I am at about week 9 of my gobi rack wait time that I ordered back in July! I'm super excited.

Which spec rack is that? I ordered the stealth with multi-light set up. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is that the ranger?

I also have a soft top, so looking at the tightening tabs on top for the hard tops always makes me nervous that it won't be as stable.
You are going to love it! The wait time is annoying, but it really is the best looking option out there in my opinion. Turns the Jeep into an expedition style rig.

I have the multi light stealth rack on mine, the ranger one front hoop extends up way past the actual rack.

I wouldn’t be too worried about the soft top, the top “support” brackets don’t do much and really just prevent sway, but the lower brackets take most of the weight. I’ve seen plenty of soft top jeeps running it with no issues.

Hope the wait isn’t too long for you, I waited nearly 6 months for mine which was ordered right before COVID really took off in the US. Hope they have gotten there lead times down since then, be sure to call them at the 12 week mark, not sure if it was just the timing, but when I called them to ask how much longer, they got it out the door in a week...

traxtion

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Manual Rubicon
You are going to love it! The wait time is annoying, but it really is the best looking option out there in my opinion. Turns the Jeep into an expedition style rig.

I have the multi light stealth rack on mine, the ranger one front hoop extends up way past the actual rack.

I wouldn’t be too worried about the soft top, the top “support” brackets don’t do much and really just prevent sway, but the lower brackets take most of the weight. I’ve seen plenty of soft top jeeps running it with no issues.

Hope the wait isn’t too long for you, I waited nearly 6 months for mine which was ordered right before COVID really took off in the US. Hope they have gotten there lead times down since then, be sure to call them at the 12 week mark, not sure if it was just the timing, but when I called them to ask how much longer, they got it out the door in a week...
Did they charge you immediately or when the order was fulfilled?