Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 Toyota TRD PRO
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Who uses a Goal Zero Yeti? I just picked up a Yeti 1500X one up for $1483 after tax using a 30% coupon at Cabela's. It looks like it will work good with our Dometic CFX3 DZ75 and make it easy to switch between our vehicles. We usually power the fridge using our Manley ORV trailer with dual Battle Born 100aH batteries but this would make it nice for quick overnight camping trips without taking the trailer. This model is Li-ion NMC, 140 Ah and comes with a MPPT charge controller.

I'm researching on if it's possible to charge it using my Zamp Solar panel that has a built in charge controller and am coming across different opinions. It has 2 charging ports, a proprietary 8mm and a power pole charging port but since it has it's own charge controller it looks like I will need to bypass the controller on my Zamp panels or just pick up a Goal Zero panel.
Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I've owned a 400 for almost a year and it has never let me down. I don't use mine for large draw appliances or for overnight power.

Mine got sand and moisture behind the display cover and they have sent me a 500X in exchange.

I don't have anything but good things to say about their products so far. I use their lantern, as well.

For your solar power input question, I would just go with the Goal Zero Panel. Only because the controller inside the 1500X will be calibrated to accept the full range of input power from their own panel. That said, I have no experience with the Zamp Panels.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase

69 ORIGINAL

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS 3.6L & 2020 JLUS 2.0L
Occupation
Finance
I've had the Goal Zero Yeti 1000 for a few years now. It is awesome. Can keep my 55L fridge going for 2-3 days, keep camp lights on at night and charge up other stuff. Proved real helpful in large power outages as well - to keep things going like laptops, cell phones, blender - priorities, right? I'm usually moving during the day, so just charge it up with the 12V plug in the back. I have a Goal Zero Boulder 100W briefcase solar panel to charge it, but since I'm moving just about every day, only used it a few times to prove it could work. Now, leave the Boulder at home to save on the space and weight. Would take the Lithium Yeti over an integrated AGM-based system any day.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Overland Productions

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase
I purchased five sets of 500X (with solar panels and lights) and sent them to Puerto Rico to family post Hurricane Maria. All are still in use today and they love the ability to be prepared for when the power goes out.
This is my new favorite post on this forum. Ever.

gbr

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase

Sydwaiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 73 CJ-5
Except for that stupid handle.
And the lack of accessories, cords, etc. Maybe it's just because they are so new compared to GZ and in time more things will be available. I still went with the Jackery 500 though. So far I'm liking it. Real test comes this weekend.

Sponsored

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue Wrangler Unlimited Willys
A bit of a dated thread here, but I noticed that REI will have the Goal Zero power banks on sale for 20% off starting this Friday, May 21st. (I do NOT work for REI, just a helpful hint if someone is looking to get into one and can save a bit of cash)

My first 500X failed whilst out camping, but it was a known issue and GZ made it good and sent me a new one. So far so good.

I bought Rock Pals solar panels that work with the GZ as most any should as long as the voltage specs line up, though I have not actually used them camping (I just tested compatibility when I got them).

Cheers!

OC_1964

First Name
Beryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
I have a goal zero yeti 400 with two additional 400s plugged in, thus now a 1200.

IMO, the advantage of the 400 is that it will charge while driving the JL, the lithium models aren’t able to charge while driving and operating equipment at the same time.

It has run non-stop for the last three years with no issues. Super happy with product.

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
I have a goal zero yeti 400 with two additional 400s plugged in, thus now a 1200.

IMO, the advantage of the 400 is that it will charge while driving the JL, the lithium models aren’t able to charge while driving and operating equipment at the same time.
Just wanted to verify the Lithium stations do charge while driving the vehicle and operating equipment. I have a Yeti 500x (new version manufactured after the firmware fiasco) and it runs my fridge and a few other small draw things like headlamps and lights. I've tried it both ways, using the 12v charger adapter and the normal wall plug into my JLUR's factory inverter, and both charge the unit while driving - well, in fact. Overnight I lose about 20-22% of the charge as read on the front display if I arrive in camp around 4pm and leave around 10am. It's fully charged in about 1-1.5 hrs of driving.

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Just wanted to verify the Lithium stations do charge while driving the vehicle and operating equipment. I have a Yeti 500x (new version manufactured after the firmware fiasco) and it runs my fridge and a few other small draw things like headlamps and lights. I've tried it both ways, using the 12v charger adapter and the normal wall plug into my JLUR's factory inverter, and both charge the unit while driving - well, in fact. Overnight I lose about 20-22% of the charge as read on the front display if I arrive in camp around 4pm and leave around 10am. It's fully charged in about 1-1.5 hrs of driving.
I second this post. My lithium 500x charges fine while driving and supplying the fridge. Errrmm... well, it does now anyway after getting past the firmware fiasco that I got caught in with my first one. I ran a line from a 15 amp aux wire to the back to plug the Yeti into. Fits nicely under my floor plates out of the way. So far so good...

OC_1964

First Name
Beryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Finished my install of equipment, just need to finish the shelf to allow use of space above Goal Zero without piling items on it.

B863CEB6-23E4-4C01-8821-591BF6E7CFDB.jpeg
Sponsored