Go up to 35s or make a big jump to 37s?

Logger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I have dilemma, a good one but still a problem and need some good advice. I have a JLU Sahara with 285/75R17 (33.86”) Nitto Ridge Grapplers (4,500 miles on them). I added them when the suspension was stock and they looked great. That was when I was under the false assumption that I wouldn’t lift it. Well...

Over the weekend I installed Metalcloak’s 2.5” Dual Rate Kit with Rocksport struts (great kit and easy install, incredible ride), which added an even 4” front and rear. Unfortunately, my almost 34s look a little small with the added 4”. Pic below with new dimensions, hope this helps others considering the kit.

So, do I go up to 35s or make a big jump to 37s? I’m concerned the 35s won’t make much of a difference and jumping 3” to 37s will be too much and maybe rub. I really like the Tidge grapplers for their comfort and ride but I’m open to others that may offer a large 35 or small 37.

My use - I’m a newbie and this is my daily driver. I have wheeled it lightly, but I’m learning so no hardcore rock crawling (yet). As you guys know, looks are important but functionality and capability are more important.

I learned an incredible amount from this forum including how to install all my current mods and lift (thanks @rustyshakelford), you guys rock, looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks! Steve

43ACE5EC-25B9-4A2A-9363-9B42891A9873.jpeg
Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I mean if you are talking about functionality and capability, I don't see how 35in with that massive lift aren't going to be enough! I'd be more worried about sway bar disconnects, lockers and strategically placed skid plates before lifting the jeep to the clouds if it was about functionality and capability. Keep in mind the higher you go, the less stable and the higher the changes to go upside down. My 2 cents. But let's let the more knowledgeable jeepers chime in!

Just out of curiosity, since this is your daily driver, may I ask how long your daily commute is? I wont lie though, that Jeep would look sick with 37s. Right now it kinda looks like johnny bravo

giphy.gif

Last edited:

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
Hello. I have a ‘20 Sahara. Like you, mine is a daily driver and then some (took delivery on 9/5 and I already have 5,000 miles on it). I’ve been from Southern Indiana where I live to Eastern Tennessee, Northern Kentucky, Illinois, Michigan, Ohio and Ontario, Canada. Btw, none of those were the same trip. We have also taken numerous drives locally (meaning 50 mile radius from home).

My Sahara has the 2.0.

Added 2” Mopar lift, 20” wheels with 35” tires on 9/10. My 35s are TOYO Open Country A/T II XTREME. 35X12.50RTLT.

I am very pleased. The ride is great. Average mpg with all the travel in just over 1.5 Months is 21.5.

I will let you be the judge. The first photo is my Jeep delivery. Second is with 35s.
F666E291-F136-4236-A519-C06F2E02D826.jpeg

9BC9008D-4FD7-476C-9B4E-9C3B59AA170F.jpeg

OP
OP
Logger

Logger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I mean if you are talking about functionality and capability, I don't see how 35in with that massive lift aren't going to be enough! I'd be more worried about sway bar disconnects, lockers and strategically placed skid plates before lifting the jeep to the clouds if it was about functionality and capability. Keep in mind the higher you go, the less stable and the higher the changes to go upside down. My 2 cents. But let's let the more knowledgeable jeepers chime in!

Just out of curiosity, since this is your daily driver, may I ask how long your daily commute is? I wont lie though, that Jeep would look sick with 37s. Right now it kinda looks like johnny bravo

giphy.gif

Haha! Johnny Bravo! Like I said, I’m a newbie so figuring it out. I don’t need skid plates just yet but wanted a little height, didn’t realize I was going to get 4 out of a 2.5 kit but that’s okay, will make it work.

Daily commute is around town but I took it for a spin on the highway today and it rode as well if not better than stock.

OP
OP
Logger

Logger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hello. I have a ‘20 Sahara. Like you, mine is a daily driver and then some (took delivery on 9/5 and I already have 5,000 miles on it). I’ve been from Southern Indiana where I live to Eastern Tennessee, Northern Kentucky, Illinois, Michigan, Ohio and Ontario, Canada. Btw, none of those were the same trip. We have also taken numerous drives locally (meaning 50 mile radius from home).

My Sahara has the 2.0.

Added 2” Mopar lift, 20” wheels with 35” tires on 9/10. My 35s are TOYO Open Country A/T II XTREME. 35X12.50RTLT.

I am very pleased. The ride is great. Average mpg with all the travel in just over 1.5 Months is 21.5.

I will let you be the judge. The first photo is my Jeep delivery. Second is with 35s.
F666E291-F136-4236-A519-C06F2E02D826.jpeg

9BC9008D-4FD7-476C-9B4E-9C3B59AA170F.jpeg
35s look good! I’m guessing you got more than 2” out of your lift, 35s seem to fill it out.

Sponsored

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
By the combo of the 2” Mopar lift and changing to 35s my running board raised 5.5”.

OP
OP
Logger

Logger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Would love to see more pics of other lifted Sahara’s to get some ideas. Thanks!

L8Knight

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2018 Yukon Denali
I run the same size tires. Wanted the Mopar lift but knew it would look off without 35s. Cant believe the difference that extra inch of rubber makes. Stayed with a true 2.5 inch lift and it looks perfect.

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
Remember, opinions are like belly buttons, everybody has one. So for my belly button I think 37's would be awesome on your rig. You could sell your current tires and pay for 1/2 of the new ones. Maybe. :)

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Remember, opinions are like belly buttons, everybody has one. So for my belly button I think 37's would be awesome on your rig. You could sell your current tires and pay for 1/2 of the new ones. Maybe. :)
@Chipe is right

Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
I like 37s on these JLs. That said, the rubi can compensate with stock gearing much better than the sport/sahara. For your use, I’d suggest a true 35/12.5 before a 37 unless a regear is in your future. The 37/2.5” lift is a great look, there’s just other considerations to take into account before going down that rabbit hole.

Jeeps looks great too

Brett

OP
OP
Logger

Logger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I’m leaning pretty hard toward 37s. Curious how the typical driving experience will be impacted. I have the 3.6 manual, probably won’t see much of 5th gear any longer, never really saw 6th considering all the hills around here. How about comfort and ride quality?

Thanks for all the replies so far.

OP
OP
Logger

Logger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I like 37s on these JLs. That said, the rubi can compensate with stock gearing much better than the sport/sahara. For your use, I’d suggest a true 35/12.5 before a 37 unless a regear is in your future. The 37/2.5” lift is a great look, there’s just other considerations to take into account before going down that rabbit hole.

Jeeps looks great too

Brett
Thx Brett, and thank you again for all the advice from afar while I installed the lift. Does a manual transmission offset need to regear or is it the same as an auto? What else is in that rabbit hole?

Jerrybizzle

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Tech
Manual is actually worse than the auto. The gear ratios are more spaced out on the manual than the auto.
I have a rubicon with 3.6 auto and went with light 37s (mastercraft mxt 37x12.5 17 that weigh 69 pounds and my wheels are 26 pounds for a total of 95 pounds per wheels and tire) and I feel it has plenty of power and can still see 7th and 8th.
Definitely look in to the weight of the tire you are purchasing. I think people often over look this. If we were driving diesel trucks the weight wouldn’t be as big of a factor. A toyo mt 37 weighs 84 pounds. That’s 15 extra pounds per tire.
Only you can judge what’s acceptable power loss, but if you go 37s I would plan for a regear.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Thx Brett, and thank you again for all the advice from afar while I installed the lift. Does a manual transmission offset need to regear or is it the same as an auto? What else is in that rabbit hole?
My 6 speed on 37s is running 5.13s. Stock gearing was terrible. My wife’s 8 speed with 37s drives fine. Could handle some 4.88s but as it is, it’s working good

Brett
Sponsored