kurt rustle

First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS 2.0T
Vehicle Showcase
I bought the 65" SRM500 with the gutter mounts and returned it.

It's a decent looking rack and probably not a terrible system if you're planning on using the roll-cage mounts but I'd definitely recommend against it if you're planning on using the gutter mounts.

My experience wasn't great. Once I finished assembling it, I noticed it was visibly crooked:

Jeep Wrangler JL Go Rhino? Screen Shot 2021-08-26 at 7.03.03 PM

I figured maybe it'd sort itself out once installed so I gave it a shot... I had the 6 gutter mounts.

The gutter mounts are probably the worst system of the kind I've ever come across. The design is completely ass backwards. By the time you align everything according to the instructions, you barely have any access to the bolts you need to drive to lock the gutter mount clamp. I ended up doing it like in this video, but that came with its own set of alignment issues. Would have been so much easier to drive those bolts from below, so the rack wouldn't interfere with the bolts.

Once it was mounted, it felt pretty flimsy, even with 6 gutter mounts.

As a replacement, I bought the Rhino Rack Pioneer and damn, they're worlds apart in terms of build quality, instructions, and fitment. It's 2x more expensive but you get what you pay for.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
JLRyder

JLRyder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
I bought the 65" SRM500 with the gutter mounts and returned it.

It's a decent looking rack and probably not a terrible system if you're planning on using the roll-cage mounts but I'd definitely recommend against it if you're planning on using the gutter mounts.

My experience wasn't great. Once I finished assembling it, I noticed it was visibly crooked:

Jeep Wrangler JL Go Rhino? Screen Shot 2021-08-26 at 7.03.03 PM

I figured maybe it'd sort itself out once installed so I gave it a shot... I had the 6 gutter mounts.

The gutter mounts are probably the worst system of the kind I've ever come across. The design is completely ass backwards. By the time you align everything according to the instructions, you barely have any access to the bolts you need to drive to lock the gutter mount clamp. I ended up doing it like in this video, but that came with its own set of alignment issues. Would have been so much easier to drive those bolts from below, so the rack wouldn't interfere with the bolts.

Once it was mounted, it felt pretty flimsy, even with 6 gutter mounts.

As a replacement, I bought the Rhino Rack Pioneer and damn, they're worlds apart in terms of build quality, instructions, and fitment. It's 2x more expensive but you get what you pay for.

Hope this helps.
Oof! Good to know, thanks for the heads up!

Dave

stg1

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I run the 75" rack. Looks great IMO. Very low profile. I run a rooftop tent with no issues. I think it's a well built rack with lots of mounting options including quick release tent mounts. I did drill into the hardtop to mount. Very simple installation. All parts lined up perfectly.

SRM500.jpg
Sponsored