Go Rhino Dominator D-6 with Removable Drop Step Review

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Finally received the Go Rhino D6 Dominator Running board/Slider with removable drop steps. I have a Sahara which comes stock with the Mopar plastic running board which are virtually useless for two reasons:

1. they are too high you might as well just step into the jeep because once you step up on them you are in a awkward position for getting in.
2. When they get wet they are very slippery.

My wife being only 5'2" really struggled getting in and out of the jeep I needed something that really assisted with this. I considered the Power steps however of the three manufactures I Talked to two said they could not handle impacts or submersion they were street power steps, the the other (Rock Slider) were sliders with a power step however their motor was also not designed or warranted for submersion. For the power rock sliders by the time you added a couple nessasary options the cost was pushing $2500 I just could not justify it, also the power steps do not function well when doors are off since there is no door opening to trigger the step. As well the other issue I did not like with the power steps is they tucked up under the door when retracted and provided NO protection to the jeep body or fender flares from rocks and debris that the tires would kick up. The one feature I liked about the stock running-board is they kept most of the road grime, dirt, and rocks from coming up and hitting or hitting on the doors and fenders.

After an exhausted search I settled on the Dominator D6 running-boards that are also designed as rock sliders however what really sold me was the optional drop steps that can be positioned wherever you want them. However best of all they are REMOVABLE for when yo go off road. As I mentioned these are sliders however I would not recommend them for hardcore rock crawling but for the average off-roader should be more than adequate protection.

Once installed this checked all the boxes for us.
  • Functional two level step that made it easy for my height challenged wife, I am 6' and it also made it mush easier for me getting in and safer getting out. If you have kids this will also be a great step solution.
  • They are wide enough to eliminate the dirt and rock throwing that would likely damage the paint on the side of the Jeep.
  • They have an incredible grip design that will prevent slipping in not only rain but likely snow and ice as well.
  • I installed a Barricade Alloy Bumper with winch and the finish of the D-6 Dominator is almost identical so aesthetically looks great and aggressive and it all flows (just need the matching rear bumper now).
  • These are designed like a slider whereas the way they are mounted the brackets are are all above the bottom of the board/rail so there is nothing to catch on, The Brackets are also higher than the frame of the jeep as is the running board itself. So these will function as sliders when the drop steps are removed.
  • Steps can be removed in less than 10 minutes.
  • Steps are wide enough so you can easily stand on them to get to a roof rack/storage or a higher elevated view of the terrain.
  • No more worries about door dings from parking lots....
  • Even without the drop steps they sit lower than the stock running-board, they are about the same height as the ROAM and LOD steps
The only down side I have found so far is they are a bit heavy not too bad though, Weight is important for us as this is our TOAD for our RV and we are nearing our 5000lb max towing capacity.

As for installation I tackled this by myself, the instructions said 1 hour it was 4 hours and now that I have done it once it is 1.5-2 hours with drop steps. The main running board came without instruction however I found them online it takes a little studying to figure out and then attaching the board to the brackets once the brackets are installed on the jeep is a challenge especially solo my arms were burning by the time I was done.The only time two would be of assistance is attaching the board to the 1st Bracket

Note: For the Go Rhino D6 Board/Slider I found them on Carid.com for $375, however I ordered via Quadratech (they were at $440 however they price matched and do not charge/collect sales tax whereas carid does). The Drop steps are sold in pairs I paid $93 per pair again carid was lower and Quadratec matched whereas Quadratec was $130 before price match).

Also I am running KO-2 35" with a 2" spacer lift (however going to 2.5"-3" spring/shock lift in a couple weeks). See clearance pics below, The Running Board is about 1.25" above the bottom of theframe of the jeep

below are a few pics
Step%20wheels%202%20Chrome_zpsmvwbrusx.jpg

Step%20wheels%203%20chrome_zpse2mrs4ih.jpg

Step%20Wheels%20%204%20chrome_zps2wcbdoer.jpg

Steps%20Wheels%20Chrome_zps683dvhie.jpg

step%202_zpsloasdwks.jpg

elevationn_zpsiposfqbc.jpg
Sponsored

LennyV

First Name
Lenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl
Wow great, write up!

I am looking at these for myself. Did you have to remove any Body Mount Bolts for this install? I have read of that Body Mount Bolts have snapped when removing them, and I don't want to get involved with that drama.

Thank You!

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Thanks for taking the time to post/share. Could you describe the process of removing/attaching the drop steps? Thanks.

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Wow great, write up!

I am looking at these for myself. Did you have to remove any Body Mount Bolts for this install? I have read of that Body Mount Bolts have snapped when removing them, and I don't want to get involved with that drama.

Thank You!
I have a A Sahara so it came with the stock plastic running boards, they where bolted to the under body which is the bolt I think you are referring to the other bolts go through the pinch mold those are very small molts that have a bolt and a nut, whereas the body bolt has a nut pre attached to the underbody. I had no issue and frankly could not see why anyone would have this issue as it is a hefty bolt. That bolt however is not reused whereas Go Rhino provides a new bolt for that location. I removed those bolts with a ratchet maybe those that had the issue used an impact wrench, however I did re install the new bolts with an impact wrench/driver. Most running boards or sliders you will likely have to deal with those bolts anyway

Here is the installation guide for the running-board/slider
http://www.gorhino.com/images/ePIM/original/D64506T-i.pdf

Thanks for taking the time to post/share. Could you describe the process of removing/attaching the drop steps? Thanks.
The Drop Steps bolt through the step with 3 bolts on each side of each step, these bolts are very easy to get to it takes just a few minutes to put on or remove each step. There is also two screws that go into a rear backing plate however the tree main bolts made the step so secure that I decided not to use the two rear backing plate screws, this makes removal and re attaching very easy and fast.. I may even permanently remove the rear steps since these steps were mainly for my wife and myself, I anticipate few if any backseat riders, the upside is I can always put the backs pair on if I need them.

here are the installation instruction for the steps
http://www.gorhino.com/images/ePIM/original/D6410000T-i.pdf

I had looked at Every step system outthere and the only other step that really provided a functional step that did not impeded ground clearance was these (due to the removable nature of the drop step) at $560 and the Rockslider electric steps at nearly $2500 with accessories and those did not function well with doors off and they are mechanical which is just something more to fail in the future.

Note: it is the drop step that makes these unique, like I said I had the stock Mopar running board and it was just too high to be functional and it was awkward to get in and out which would be consistent with any single level running-board or slider (assuming you have a lift), whereas the drop step really makes getting in and out so much easier for all body sizes and shapes.

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
One other observation regarding the drop step, what takes the most time to remove or install them is just putting the washers and nuts on the bolts. I am going to install nutcerts on the drop-step flange (the part that bolts to the board) this will eliminate the handling of all the nuts and washers (except the top bolt and washer) I expect removal and re installation of the steps will be 1-2 minutes with a small handheld power srewdriver.

Go Rhino if you are reading this please consider adding nutcerts (or a welded nut) to the drop step since step removal for off road use is the key feature of this system.

Sponsored

LennyV

First Name
Lenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl
I have a A Sahara so it came with the stock plastic running boards, they where bolted to the under body which is the bolt I think you are referring to the other bolts go through the pinch mold those are very small molts that have a bolt and a nut, whereas the body bolt has a nut pre attached to the underbody. I had no issue and frankly could not see why anyone would have this issue as it is a hefty bolt. That bolt however is not reused whereas Go Rhino provides a new bolt for that location. I removed those bolts with a ratchet maybe those that had the issue used an impact wrench, however I did re install the new bolts with an impact wrench/driver. Most running boards or sliders you will likely have to deal with those bolts anyway

Here is the installation guide for the running-board/slider
http://www.gorhino.com/images/ePIM/original/D64506T-i.pdf

The Drop Steps bolt through the step with 3 bolts on each side of each step, these bolts are very easy to get to it takes just a few minutes to put on or remove each step. There is also two screws that go into a rear backing plate however the tree main bolts made the step so secure that I decided not to use the two rear backing plate screws, this makes removal and re attaching very easy and fast.. I may even permanently remove the rear steps since these steps were mainly for my wife and myself, I anticipate few if any backseat riders, the upside is I can always put the backs pair on if I need them.

here are the installation instruction for the steps
http://www.gorhino.com/images/ePIM/original/D6410000T-i.pdf

I had looked at Every step system outthere and the only other step that really provided a functional step that did not impeded ground clearance was these (due to the removable nature of the drop step) at $560 and the Rockslider electric steps at nearly $2500 with accessories and those did not function well with doors off and they are mechanical which is just something more to fail in the future.

Note: it is the drop step that makes these unique, like I said I had the stock Mopar running board and it was just too high to be functional and it was awkward to get in and out which would be consistent with any single level running-board or slider (assuming you have a lift), whereas the drop step really makes getting in and out so much easier for all body sizes and shapes.
Thanks for the Info!

LennyV

First Name
Lenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl
@lightsout did you get the drop steps from quadratech? I can't find them on the website.

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
@lightsout did you get the drop steps from quadratech? I can't find them on the website.
The D-6 running Board is here https://www.quadratec.com/p/go-rhino/d6-dominator-steps-jeep-wrangler-unlimited-jl also note there is a $50 prepaid reward card right now also. Personally the Price Quadratec match with Carid price saves you more...

Note: I see that Carid at the lower price is also offering the rebate so yo should be able to get the lower price at Quadratec as well as the reward card since that comes from Go Rhino.

Here are the boards on Carid and to see the step price select product options (however looks like the price just went up on the steps to $122 although the running board/slider is still $377) https://www.carid.com/2018-jeep-wra...055605.html?parentsubmodel[]=SUBMODEL|4+Doors

As for the Drop steps quadratech is working on getting those added to the website so for now you need to call them and order, besides if you want the price match with Carid you have to do that by phone anyway. The Part Number for the drop step is D6410000T so just call Quadratech.

LennyV

First Name
Lenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl
The D-6 running Board is here https://www.quadratec.com/p/go-rhino/d6-dominator-steps-jeep-wrangler-unlimited-jl also note there is a $50 prepaid reward card right now also. Personally the Price Quadratec match with Carid price saves you more...

Note: I see that Carid at the lower price is also offering the rebate so yo should be able to get the lower price at Quadratec as well as the reward card since that comes from Go Rhino.

Here are the boards on Carid and to see the step price select product options (however looks like the price just went up on the steps to $122 although the running board/slider is still $377) https://www.carid.com/2018-jeep-wra...055605.html?parentsubmodel[]=SUBMODEL|4+Doors

As for the Drop steps quadratech is working on getting those added to the website so for now you need to call them and order, besides if you want the price match with Carid you have to do that by phone anyway. The Part Number for the drop step is D6410000T so just call Quadratech.
That is awesome! Thanks again!

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Go Rhino currently has a $50 Rebate/Reward offer for these right now

Sponsored

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
have you thought of anything, trim or something, to hide the pinch seam gap on the D-6 rails?

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
have you thought of anything, trim or something, to hide the pinch seam gap on the D-6 rails?
That gap is very small and you have to be at eye level with it to even see it

Budagreg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2-Door Turbo, 2012 BMW 328i, 1999 Miata, 38' Fleetwood Expedition RV
Unfortunately, they don't have plans for the 2 door anytime soon...

john adams

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD, Bolt
Installed this over the weekend. It looks great and rugged. I love that I can if I want add another lower step but you wouldn’t know it.

The install was both easy and a bitch. There are three brackets that will make you want to kill the engineer who designed them. Minus those brackets, install less than an hour with no helper. With those brackets (and a helper), install took 3 hours. That’s how frustrating they are.

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Installed this over the weekend. It looks great and rugged. I love that I can if I want add another lower step but you wouldn’t know it.

The install was both easy and a bitch. There are three brackets that will make you want to kill the engineer who designed them. Minus those brackets, install less than an hour with no helper. With those brackets (and a helper), install took 3 hours. That’s how frustrating they are.
There is a learning curve I can now remove or install the entire platform in about 10 minutes.
Sponsored