Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
  • Banned
Originally, I was thinking I'd just get myself an older Jeep, like a Y/TJ or a JK, since I'd have around $10-15k between selling the Audi and using some savings, get it one and done.
But now, even though it's been awhile and I'm not sure on the status of the Manuals, thinking I could also get a 2dr Sport/+/Freedom and then pay it off fast.

Primarily, be the weekend toy/off daily when I want to drive stick, and as you see here: https://www.mfcomics.net/post/off-roading-and-birthdays, going off roading and want to build a rig, though want it to also be a bit of a Joat (Jack of all trades)

Cruise with it, go on the beach, go off roading, work on the engine as I can't help myself, etc..

That said, for $15k, just using autotrader, found 36 2dr's, mostly TJ's and JK's, https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...rtBy=distanceASC&numRecords=100&firstRecord=0, though again, with what I should have, could get a brand new sport or find a used 2dr JL as well.

Regardless, 1st Wrangler, so more which one to get after I sell the Audi, as while the Bronco looks promising, things are on hold and it's delayed

Thanks in Advance,

Rogue

*Should of mentioned, with used, not as concerned about mileage as I am with mods. Intakes and exhausts don't bother me, but the closer to stock, the better
Sponsored

ChimpanZed

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
As a weekend toy and occasional daily, I don’t think you can beat a TJ; cheap, iconic, and perfectly proportioned for sportiness.

If you asked about a daily and ever need to transport people or stuff, I’d steer you towards a JL. I had a 2 door JK Willys that I loved, but the JL manual transmission is lightyears better with the 3.6L, so much so that it takes the JK completely out of the running IMO.

OP
OP
Rogues Gambit

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
  • Banned
As a weekend toy and occasional daily, I don’t think you can beat a TJ; cheap, iconic, and perfectly proportioned for sportiness.

If you asked about a daily and ever need to transport people or stuff, I’d steer you towards a JL. I had a 2 door JK Willys that I loved, but the JL manual transmission is lightyears better with the 3.6L, so much so that it takes the JK completely out of the running IMO.
Gotcha, also surprised this wasn't listed on Autotrader: https://www.michaelsmotorcars.net/v...r-sahara-suv-04ecb296fa9e9b4eb4208b384b89ac50

Not too far away and besides inspecting it for any under chassis rust, seems fine, though I wonder if there's wiggle room with the price a bit.

There's these guys if I want to do things with it, https://www.urbanjeepoutfitters.com/ and already see rear disc conversions and stroker kits: https://www.extremeterrain.com/scat-stroker-40l-10-7-1-1-96010bi.html

Yeah, heard the JK's manual was meh, hows the TJ's though in comparison?

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
My previous Jeeps where a Willys CJ3a and a Willys Utility Wagon both of which I heavily resto mod'd over many years. I was looking for a newer project and was really interested in a TJ Unlimited. Shopped and drove a couple with the wife in tow and she didn't think much of them. Even recommended stopping by the dealer and test driving a new JL. No going back after that and I have no regrets.

Last edited:

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
@Rogues Gambit i'd go for the 2 door jl in a base model with either no or few options. the jl is a great jeep and very comfortable. theres plenty of aftermarkets to build it they way you want it. going this route will gain you a new 0 mile trouble free wrangler vs someone elses problems. now if i was to go the other way, i would look into a cj7 or 8. the pros on the cj is no eletronic crap. simple to work on. the tj are also a great jeep to work on and build up. i like keeping things simple.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

i was in the exact same boat. just wanted an off road weekend toy. was sold on getting an LJ (TJ Unlimited). found a clean, super low mileage sample for sale, for $17k. all the clean TJs around here, in so cal, are $$, especially LJs. anything less is typically clapped out with a ton of miles. i had a mechanic inspect the LJ as i was ready to buy it. he said it was leaking from everywhere it could possibly leak....and.... possibly some oil in the coolant. anywhere from a couple grand to many grand. and that's bone stock on tiny tires. to make it off road worthy, add many more. i figured at least $10k when all said and done. (and thats not a beast mind you lol).

my wife said, maybe you should just look at a newer one. i researched Jks and determined it had to be 2012 or newer. as new as possible. i ended up looking at Sports in the high 20s with some miles on them.

then her cousin said she got a JL on sale and it wasnt too much more than i was looking at for a few years old JK. went and test drove both back to back. my wife said we're getting the JL. practically bone stock (Rubi tires) im sure my JL Sport could outdo what the modded LJ i would have had could do. plus, when i go off roading and i see some poor guy/s out in the sun under a hood or trying to fix some broken part on their old rig i am sooo glad my new JL can drive to the trail, bash all day, and drive back home, no problem. i got tired of dealing with old cars/trucks that easily break while playing with them.

the LJ to the JLU is like comparing a golf cart to an escalade. my wife would have hated the LJ. now, she loves the Jeep. loves driving it to work, wants to take it camping, etc..

ive been slowly modding it over the past two years but have taken it off road many times. it has failed to perform.
Sponsored