Sponsored

GMRS radio wired to aux switch: good or bad?

tomd

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' JL
I read from some purists (radioreference site) that ground must be to chassis, power to battery, etc.

others on Jeep forums seem to support splices and other wiring options.
Anyone here have first hand experience with wiring via aux?
Sponsored

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
If you have a JL with the trailer tow package and the factory switches, there is internal wiring (passenger side floor board area) and external wiring (under the hood).

I would think it is best to go right to the battery. When I installed my CB, I used the internal wiring and one of them goes straight to the battery and is always hot (not on a switch), and used a ground location passenger side floorboard.

Just need to remember to power off whatever device is connected directly, just as you would need to remember to move the switch to the off position.

I am interested to see what others have to say on this subject.

OP
OP
tomd

tomd

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' JL
If you have a JL with the trailer tow package and the factory switches, there is internal wiring (passenger side floor board area) and external wiring (under the hood).

I would think it is best to go right to the battery. When I installed my CB, I used the internal wiring and one of them goes straight to the battery and is always hot (not on a switch), and used a ground location passenger side floorboard.

Just need to remember to power off whatever device is connected directly, just as you would need to remember to move the switch to the off position.

I am interested to see what others have to say on this subject.
thanks. Yes, (I forgot to specify) via the factory 4 aux switches. I did see on another thread these switches can be switched or battery via unconnect programming.

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
those aux switches are pretty prime real estate i'd find a little less versatile of a power connection. i tapped my gmrs to the front lighter port with a splice p'n'p' connector. it works fine.

OP
OP
tomd

tomd

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' JL
those aux switches are pretty prime real estate i'd find a little less versatile of a power connection. i tapped my gmrs to the front lighter port with a splice p'n'p' connector. it works fine.
Good suggestion, thanks

Sponsored

Vahdettin

First Name
Vahdettin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I have a ham VHF/UFH radio and not GMRS but for this question, there should be no difference. Mine is supposed to be wired straight to battery on both sides but IMHO that is overkill and I suspect manuals say that mostly to keep things simple and to ensure that there will never be a "rush" of power from a switched circuit at ignition time. Also, some older electronics still require a tiny bit of current to hold settings in memory.

Either way, I have my radio wired to AUX 1 on hot and to the chassis mount in the passenger foot sidewell for ground and it works just fine, both from a transmitting perspective and safety. Although the radio has it's own power switch, I just like being able to completely disconnect it from power so I don't come back from a week long hike and find my battery dead at the trailhead because of some feature I didn't know the radio had.

Jeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD 06 Corvette. 16 FLTRU
Occupation
Lighthouse Keeper, Retired Electrical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Good Luck on your install. Take your time. I sold my radio and antenna with my JK and have not figured out yet what to do with my JL. Wiring directly to the battery is generally recommended to reduce interference from the vehicle to the radio, and from the radio to the vehicle.

For some more information about mobile installations:
http://www.arrl.org/automotive

OP
OP
tomd

tomd

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' JL
Good Luck on your install. Take your time. I sold my radio and antenna with my JK and have not figured out yet what to do with my JL. Wiring directly to the battery is generally recommended to reduce interference from the vehicle to the radio, and from the radio to the vehicle.

For some more information about mobile installations:
http://www.arrl.org/automotive
Thanks Jeff. Feedback definitely a concern. Want to do this right
Sponsored