GMRS Radio Install Location Questions

Rb75

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I also mounted my MX275 in the glove box. I tucked it on the right and pulled it against the plastic with velcro tape.

Jeep Wrangler JL GMRS Radio Install Location Questions MXT275 Glove Box Setu

I ran an RJ45 extension cable to connect to the mic cable. I ran the Midland antenna cable down below, across to the drivers side and through the opening into the engine compartment up above the brake (assuming where clutch would go if I had a manual).

I also used a CoolTech Mic Mount:

Jeep Wrangler JL GMRS Radio Install Location Questions CoolTech Mic Mount.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL GMRS Radio Install Location Questions Mic

Then decided to mount on the front using the CoolTech Front Antenna Mount. And because I'm a bit anal I primed and painted the steel the same color as my JL (5oz spray can of touch up paint was $13).

Jeep Wrangler JL GMRS Radio Install Location Questions CoolTech Front Antenna Mount 2.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL GMRS Radio Install Location Questions Midland MXTA26 32%22 whip antenna.JPG
Sponsored

OP
OP
GearWhore

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
My wife isn't too thrilled with the bare stainless antenna mount, so I may be doing some color match there (or just black to match the cable and ghost antenna.

I tried to find a place behind the glovebox but didn't feel like anything was secure enough (or not part of the HVAC systems). I'll have to check out the far right side.

As-is, it is now just under the steering column behind the driver's knee panel. Works well here, and I could easily cut at least another 6' out of the antenna cable. I'm going to install the trailer brake controller, but the Mopar unit seems to have the brains mounted in just about the same area so I might have to move the radio base.

I though the Cool Tech mic mount was going to be great, but the plastic clip that now comes with them holds the mic much lower. It is enough that it interferes with the tune knob and any bumps to the radio or pick it up/replacing it turn the dial enough that it is really annoying. I pulled it out and just mounted the mic to the dash between the tune knob and passenger grab handle. Works for me and actually seems a little less intrusive.

EXPFDR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Billet Silver JLU
Occupation
Army Retired
Vehicle Showcase
A couple photos of my MXT275 installation.

MXT275 Base unit attached to top of electronics box behind driver's knee panel. Extra antenna cable coiled on right, extra mic extension cable coiled and zip-tied to right side metal support. There is a lot of extra cable; I could probably use only 3-4' and have more than enough:
Jeep Wrangler JL GMRS Radio Install Location Questions Midland MXTA26 32%22 whip antenna.JPG

I like this install and will mount the head unit in the same location, what's the trick to remove the trim panel in front of here? Only thing I am gonna do different is S fold the antenna wire through the cowl below the wipers instead of coiling them up under the dash, read it was not good to coil it.

MNWIlKO

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
A couple photos of my MXT275 installation.

CoolTech front mount antenna base and Ghost antennea:

Antenna cable routed to suggested clutch plug in firewall. CoolTech mount has a plastic cover that fits between the cowl and fender seam, however bottom edge of cowl has full contact for length with paint on metal. Not sure if this will move/vibrate enough to damage the cowl paint:

Firewall plug with antenna cable and silicone near center of frame. Brake booster on left side, inner fender on right:

Clutch plug and cable from inside driver's footwell. Brake pedal in upper right foreground:

MXT275 Base unit attached to top of electronics box behind driver's knee panel. Extra antenna cable coiled on right, extra mic extension cable coiled and zip-tied to right side metal support. There is a lot of extra cable; I could probably use only 3-4' and have more than enough:

Back side of base unit with steering column directly above:

CoolTech mic mount. I generally like the placement, however it does contact the radio control knob on that side and changes the radio station any time we pick up or replace the mic. This will probably have to go and I'll find a different mic location (probably just attach to right of radio control where it won't interfere).
Great write up. Looking to do this as well. Curious how you ran the mic cable?

OP
OP
GearWhore

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Short extension run along the top of the transmission tunnel. Plug secured to the metal brace under the glovebox bottom left. Easy to clip & unclip mic at edge of plastic without exposing plug.

Sponsored

gbjeeper

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU

Back side of base unit with steering column directly above:
I may see if my Wouxun KG-1000G will fit in this spot, how did you secure it into position on top of the inverter box so it doesn't shift around?

OP
OP
GearWhore

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
I may see if my Wouxun KG-1000G will fit in this spot, how did you secure it into position on top of the inverter box so it doesn't shift around?
10-lb Velcro with sticky backing. on the radio mount. Hasn't moved in over a year with a lot of off-road, gravel, rocks, and bouncing.

Gersh10

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Antenna location
Best location is not at the cowl because it is to close to the A pillar. An improvement is the Topsy products which move the antenna further forward. i have been using this location for years and prefer it.
Which antenna are you using? I'm currently have the ghost antenna but haven't mounted it yet.

Gmanjeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
I also mounted my MX275 in the glove box. I tucked it on the right and pulled it against the plastic with velcro tape.

I ran an RJ45 extension cable to connect to the mic cable. I ran the Midland antenna cable down below, across to the drivers side and through the opening into the engine compartment up above the brake (assuming where clutch would go if I had a manual).

Then decided to mount on the front using the CoolTech Front Antenna Mount. And because I'm a bit anal I primed and painted the steel the same color as my JL (5oz spray can of touch up paint was $13).

I am going to install a cobra 75 radio behind my glove box. Did you find a good grounding point up in that area. Several forum members say a good grounding point is behind the passenger side kick panel but it looks like it is kind of a pain to remove that panel.

Rb75

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I originally had a Cobra 75 and swapped to the Midland GMRS. I had the Cobra mounted right behind the glove box.

Sponsored

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

What RJ45 cable did you use? I ordered one but it doesn't seem to work, I can't get the radio to power up.

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

Bumping this thread because I have the front mount complete 275 setup enroute from @CoolTech . Earlier posts seem to indicate an issue using the cowl mount and ghost antenna. Thatā€™s what I was going to do and now Iā€™m worried itā€™ll work poorly.

Additionally, I am wondering where I should pull power from. I am leaning toward using one of the Aux switches. Does this work well for this application or would connecting straight to the battery be best?

OP
OP
GearWhore

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
The Cooltech cowl mount didn't give me great results, especially with the Ghost antenna. I tried the longer Midland unit there too, and still not great. I got another, similar mount that moved the antenna about a foot forward and it seems to have much better range & reception now.

Also, Cooltech mic mount didn't work for me, as the cord constantly interfered with the radio tuning knob.

I pulled power from the Aux 4 switch. Tap in passenger footwell I beleive.

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

The Cooltech cowl mount didn't give me great results, especially with the Ghost antenna. I tried the longer Midland unit there too, and still not great. I got another, similar mount that moved the antenna about a foot forward and it seems to have much better range & reception now.

Also, Cooltech mic mount didn't work for me, as the cord constantly interfered with the radio tuning knob.

I pulled power from the Aux 4 switch. Tap in passenger footwell I beleive.
Got a link for the mount you used? I figure since I have the Cooltech mount already coming Iā€™ll try it out and see if itā€™s go/no go. If it gives me issues Iā€™ll use what you did.

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Many people prefer the aesthetics of a rear mount but with virtually no flat metal surfaces, thereā€™s no ground plane. Admittedly this is more critical for CB than it is for the much shorter wavelength of GMRS. Front/cowl mount often works better because of the large metal hood - but realize that transmission range will be asymmetrical with best range out across hood as opposed to back over windshield.

Note that there is no such thing as a pre-tuned antenna. If you want the best possible performance, use a GMRS SWR meter and tune the antenna post install.
Sponsored