ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

Many people prefer the aesthetics of a rear mount but with virtually no flat metal surfaces, there’s no ground plane. Admittedly this is more critical for CB than it is for the much shorter wavelength of GMRS. Front/cowl mount often works better because of the large metal hood - but realize that transmission range will be asymmetrical with best range out across hood as opposed to back over windshield.

Note that there is no such thing as a pre-tuned antenna. If you want the best possible performance, use a GMRS SWR meter and tune the antenna post install.
Thanks Kendall, much appreciated! For those of us that are laymen at this kind of stuff, what do you recommend I do?
Sponsored

OP
OP
GearWhore

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Thanks Kendall, much appreciated! For those of us that are laymen at this kind of stuff, what do you recommend I do?
The ideal place to mount the antenna would be at the dead center of the hood but practicality/aesthetics really prohibit that. Mounted off to the side is the most pragmatic solution and will produce an asymmetrical transmit pattern. Areas over the hood and maybe even slightly forward will be more accessible than areas toward the rear or on the back side of the antenna. The Cool Tech mount allows you to use either cowl bolt for mounting. Differences in antenna tuning/antenna quality & gain would far outweigh the difference in performance from being 10" farther forward.

IMHO the Midland 6db 32" whip is a good antenna - certainly good value for the money, but there are better antennas. The Midland NMO mount/coax is quite nice... and because NMO is a standard, it would be quite easy to spin on an antenna from Larson as an example if you absolutely want the best possible range.

Larrymuld

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Where did you run the power cable and did you use an extension for the mic?
Good evening, to answer the easier of the two questions. No I do not need an extension for the mic. I will have to go out and look how I ran the power since it has been a while since I installed it.
Larry

Sponsored

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JL, 2011 JK Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
Yeah Larry I'd be interested in your gook up also.

Moose568

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Rubicon
What kind or range can one expect with a 50watt Midland and a Ghost antenna mounted on the rear tailgate? I know it’s not the idea mounting location but I didn’t want to see it.
Sponsored