GMRS Handheld over Micromobile

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
So, I am going to the Jeep Jamboree in Moab this year, and they are requiring GMRS radios. I don't really want to mount anything, and was curios if anyone has used the Midland Handheld GMRS Radios? do they have enough range to be used? Are they worth the $90 for two of them? Any other brand of GMRS that would be a better handheld?
Sponsored

TonyM

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A JL Soon.
Vehicle Showcase
So, I am going to the Jeep Jamboree in Moab this year, and they are requiring GMRS radios. I don't really want to mount anything, and was curios if anyone has used the Midland Handheld GMRS Radios? do they have enough range to be used? Are they worth the $90 for two of them? Any other brand of GMRS that would be a better handheld?
Gmrs radios are great. i went ahead and got the license so I can use the higher wattage. Look under specifications to get the range. Most people only get half the range that is advertised. If you only need a mile or so you should be fine. You may Be able to get a longer antenna to increase your range. I think midland also makes a micro unit that comes with a magnetic antenna that you can place on your hood. You can get a cigaret lighter adapter and plug it in for temporary use if you don’t want a permanent mount. https://midlandusa.com/product/micromobile-2-way-radio-mxt105/
https://www.amazon.com/Roadpro-Repl...2+volt+lighter+adapter&qid=1605392616&sr=8-38

I mounted the unit on a scrap of wood and can and have it on my garage work bench most of the time and can easily move to the Jeep when I need there.

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
The MXT275 has a 12V plug so it wouldn't be permanent. It comes with a magnetic antenna mount too. I personally did that and the magnetic mount with NMO connector and the 3dB antenna. My Jeep group usually uses the little GMRS walkie talkies and this can communicate with them. I also have a CB mounted up. If everyone is running GMRS their high power units will still be able to send to you from far away and you probably won't get far enough away for it to matter too much. The message could just be repeated up the chain if need be.

I would honestly recommend that if you typically go out with a group you might think about hard mounting a GMRS radio in, unless you already do CB or something.

OP
OP
jellis4148

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What’s a good way to mount the MXT275 where it’s not visible? Under passenger dash somewhere?

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
What’s a good way to mount the MXT275 where it’s not visible? Under passenger dash somewhere?
My CB is mounted up in the passenger footwell under the carpet and wired through the firewall to the battery. My MXT275 is going between the center control and the passenger seat. Then I used one of these (kind of a pain in the butt to install, but I was taking the dash apart any way) and will wire it under the carpet. The antenna is on the sports bar and fits under a soft top but not a hard top, could get one of these mounts for the antenna as well. There is another hood mount I see a lot and some company just made a post about theirs. Here is a good thread by Shawn about doing a radio install.

Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
I keep ours in the center console and pull it when we get back. All the wiring can run there and it works great for us.

brett

relayer4u

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
There is also a 12v plugin adapter available for the BTECH that snaps on in place of the battery pack.

Sponsored

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
This looks like a great option for occasional trail use.

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
I have the Midland MXT275 hard mounted and 2 Midland GXT1000VP4 hand held for when out and about. The great thing about the MXT275 is you don't have to hard mount it with the 12v plug in and magnetic antenna if you just want to throw it in the vehicle for a trip and remove it when you get home. I just wanted to keep it in mine.

Wkaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
I have a pair of the Wouxun KG-805G handhelds. Better than the blister pack radio's. Well worth the money, Midland micro mobiles I've heard aren't programmable for transmit/receive
Jeep Wrangler JL GMRS Handheld over Micromobile wouxun-kg-805
on diff frequencies for repeater use.

OP
OP
jellis4148

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a pair of the Wouxun KG-805G handhelds. Better than the blister pack radio's. Well worth the money, Midland micro mobiles I've heard aren't programmable for transmit/receive
Jeep Wrangler JL GMRS Handheld over Micromobile wouxun-kg-805
on diff frequencies for repeater use.
I like that one.

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
It may be useful to keep in mind that as a guest at a JJ you will primarily use the GMRS radio to receive information from your guide.

The guides will likely be out fitted with radios that have adequate transmitting range.

Your radio, for practical purposes will primarily serve as a receiver and its sensitivity will be, more or less, a function of your antenna placement rather than the power rating of the radio appliance you choose to bring along.
Sponsored