Please close this useless thread so it doesn't get bumped in another 3 years

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
They are the same engine except for some of the top end packaging to fit the lower profile hood in the Alfa and obviously the exhaust for the same reason.

The Alfa engine cover and the Jeep's you can even swap and all the mount points and two rear snap points are the same. Sensors are the same, but some in different locations.

When the JB4 first came out for the Jeep we were running the Alfa 2.0 tunes on it, but now that they've gotten a Jeep on a dyno the tunes have diverged.

Do not underestimate what the Jeep drivetrain and wheel size robs from a chassis dyno run that the Alfa does not.
They are not the same. The giulia uses a totally different valvetrain (multi air) and the Jeep has 2 cams vs 1 in the giulia. That's about as different as you can get. I've even read some speculation the the blocks are different - closed deck on one vs open on the other. Not sure if that is true or not.

I'm very familiar with how dynos work, you don't need to underline and boldface your remarks about wheel weight impact.
Sponsored

OP
OP
AnnDee4444

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
They are not the same. The giulia uses a totally different valvetrain (multi air) and the Jeep has 2 cams vs 1 in the giulia. That's about as different as you can get. I've even read some speculation the the blocks are different - closed deck on one vs open on the other. Not sure if that is true or not.

I'm very familiar with how dynos work, you don't need to underline and boldface your remarks about wheel weight impact.
I'm sorry but you area very wrong. The Alfa used to be different but has now moved to the same GME platform in 2018 or so (maybe 2017). The engines are ~95% identical. They are the same long block.

And I will bold and highlight what I like. Just like you are now blocked as just another know-nothing asshat on here who wants to fight.

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
I'm sorry but you area very wrong. The Alfa used to be different but has now moved to the same GME platform in 2018 or so (maybe 2017). The engines are ~95% identical. They are the same long block.

And I will bold and highlight what I like. Just like you are now blocked as just another know-nothing asshat on here who wants to fight.
They are not the same engine. They have a lot in common, but they are not the same. They don't have the same valvetrain, they don't have the same heads, hell they don't even have the same amount of camshafts. If you want to believe that doesn't matter and they are still the same because there are lots of similarities, so be it.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
The euro compulsion chassis dyno only proves the point I've been making all along, throw away the goofy computer generated engine dyno chart. The giulia didn't get within 40 ftlbs of peak until 2800 rpms and didn't hit peak until 3755 rpms, higher than the jeeps 3500 peak. The overlays all illustrate my point, power for both coming on above 2500 rpms as expected, logical, and actually based in reality. Factor in expected drivetrain loss comparing the 2 (bigger tires, transfer case, etc increasing losses for the jeep)and I'd say power output in both peak and power ranges, they are damn near identical.

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

The 2019 Giulia uses a single cam shaft, it's a different engine than the Jeeps.
At least the head is different. Block MAY BE the same.

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
They are the same engine except for some of the top end packaging to fit the lower profile hood in the Alfa and obviously the exhaust for the same reason.

The Alfa engine cover and the Jeep's you can even swap and all the mount points and two rear snap points are the same. Sensors are the same, but some in different locations.

When the JB4 first came out for the Jeep we were running the Alfa 2.0 tunes on it, but now that they've gotten a Jeep on a dyno the tunes have diverged.

Do not underestimate what the Jeep drivetrain and wheel size robs from a chassis dyno run that the Alfa does not.
Is there a source for it saying it’s the same short block? I’ve seen it being said that the alfa gme 2.0 has a closed deck while ours has an open deck. From what I remember it was a tuning thread. But it’d be nice to have definitive answers.

Edit:
Found this link, our jeeps have open deck blocks.
https://www.motorreviewer.com/engine.php?engine_id=168

Last edited:

Inshan

First Name
Inshan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2.0 JL
So I can safely purchase a Giulia Long Block and use it on my 2.0 Jeep Wrangler without issue???

Sponsored

COJeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR, '23 Donkey because gas is too expensive
Clubs

What if you put a rocket engine on the roof, how much torque then?!???

Bill_P

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2023 JLUWSXR
Occupation
Can't tell you..shhh
If someone puts Rubicon stickers on an Alpha's hood, does it get the same 10HP boost that a JLU gets when you do it on there?

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys XR in Hydro Blue
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase