Glove Box Latch - Broken - JLU 2019

maddscot

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler Unlimited
Well our new 2019 JLU Rubicon got broken into last night. Nothing major happened, we believe one of the boys left the Jeep unlocked. It was a quick entry and out, probably minors or other checking doors for easy wins. They rooted through the mid console (unlocked) and took my good flashlight and a pocket knife, leaving the toolkit, first aid and other EDC supplies. The big issue is the glove box was locked, and they pulled on the latch hard enough to open the box (no pry marks) and broke off the latch itself. What is broken is the connection "c" plastic tabs the latch fits into.

I am going to order a new latch, however I need to get the box open.

Went the the dealer to see if they had a way to do so, but they had no idea and told it it would be two days before they could even get to see the Jeep to work on it (too busy). That's another story...

Any help would be appreciated as the trick I saw on the JK forum would not work which was a small screwdriver into a slot on the behind the latch... no slot.
Sponsored

OP
OP
maddscot

maddscot

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Solved my own problem... What is needed to open the glove box (if latch is broken and off) is to take two small flat head screwdrivers or two small awls and to the right and left of the cylinder space (round spot in latch area of glove box) insert at the top of the two "gears" and push down. It may take some hand finesse but this will pull the two bars out of the notch and allow the box to drop open. Now off to order the new latch parts.

regional_farmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Thanks for describing this issue, I just got mine broken in exactly the same way and am now working to fix it. Could you detail the place (and possibly part numbers) where you found the latch?

Thanks again much appreciated,
-Eddie

OP
OP
maddscot

maddscot

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for describing this issue, I just got mine broken in exactly the same way and am now working to fix it. Could you detail the place (and possibly part numbers) where you found the latch?

Thanks again much appreciated,
-Eddie
Unfortunitly I never did get a part number, lots of searching though. Went to the dealer and they could not find and wanted to repalce the whole glove box. When I stated that is ridiculous (I work for a major auto manf) that a lock cylinder was not available, they though perhaps it would work (same lock cylinder as in middle console) which they ordered. However when they tried to replace the glove box latch was broken by the tech, so they had to order a new glove box to get the entire unit and rekeyed to my vehicle. I could not believe this is how the dealer worked this and that this part was not a simple order / part #.

regional_farmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Oh wow thanks for sharing that follow-up. Seems like the tedious nightmare I was suspecting after I couldn't find anything either with extensive search. Still waiting to hear back from mopar before I head to the dealer.
Thanks again

Sponsored

Cynthiaxt

First Name
Cynthia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jp wrangler sahara
Solved my own problem... What is needed to open the glove box (if latch is broken and off) is to take two small flat head screwdrivers or two small awls and to the right and left of the cylinder space (round spot in latch area of glove box) insert at the top of the two "gears" and push down. It may take some hand finesse but this will pull the two bars out of the notch and allow the box to drop open. Now off to order the new latch parts.

I just has my car broken into last night and they broke the handle
On my glove box that was locked as well. I see you were able to fix that issue … can you give me a price on what you paid to have your glove box replaced? Also i still have the key cylinder would they be able to use that without having to rekey the box

OP
OP
maddscot

maddscot

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

pablosauli

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Good day, my glove box latch broke last night on my 2018 JL. After some research, I found that you need to order two different part numbers:
Entire Glove Box: 7FV19TX7AA (Replaces 6AB14TX7AC)
Cylinder: 68384451AB

My question is, how difficult is it to attach and set the key to the new cylinder?

20240305_223916.jpg

20240305_223926.jpg

20240305_223932.jpg

20240305_223938.jpg

20240305_223943.jpg

20240305_223949.jpg
Sponsored