Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I'm sold on a black Rubicon but can't make the decision on matching painted fenders and/or roof or save the $1700 and go with the Matt black fenders and roof. Been reading the pros and cons of color matched vs. the matt black finish but the discussion is always about non black colors, not black on black. Looking for opinions from those that have black JL's... what did you do? I definitely want the hard top, just don't know if it makes sense to go gloss painted or matt? Especially the roof. Leaning toward the painted fenders. Thoughts?
Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Mall crawler….go with painted fenders. Off road warrior…go with flat black, cheap to replace fenders.

I do occasional off road….scratches on flat black are less noticeable.

Tree branch scratches are easier to touch up on the unpainted hardtop.

OP
OP
dragoneggs

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Mall crawler….go with painted fenders. Off road warrior…go with flat black, cheap to replace fenders.

I do occasional off road….scratches on flat black are less noticeable.

Tree branch scratches are easier to touch up on the unpainted hardtop.
Thanks bud... I just realized I accidentally posted this question twice under different titles. First time poster here so apologies. Mostly a daily driver but will be off-roading a couple times a month. Around here in the PNW, the trails are in the forests so I imagine the scratches will be more often than being in the desert or rocks.

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I have a white JLUR and it was a easy decision for me, I went unpainted hardtop and fenders, its cheaper, if you off road they are going to get scratched, unpainted it doesnt show really and im not worried about it, I think it looks better in my opinion, looks more rugged.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Matt black.

Sponsored

OP
OP
dragoneggs

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Matt black.
Short and sweet response but got me. I repriced without the color match. That $1700 savings plus a badazz look vs. the city slicker finish is convincing me. Some good detailing products and I gotta think the matt finish is the best solution. Pretty much sold. Going to the dealer to order on Friday. Anyone want to talk me out of it?

BVES4

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BLACK 2019 Wrangler Unlimited
I'm sold on a black Rubicon but can't make the decision on matching painted fenders and/or roof or save the $1700 and go with the Matt black fenders and roof. Been reading the pros and cons of color matched vs. the matt black finish but the discussion is always about non black colors, not black on black. Looking for opinions from those that have black JL's... what did you do? I definitely want the hard top, just don't know if it makes sense to go gloss painted or matt? Especially the roof. Leaning toward the painted fenders. Thoughts?
I have a Black jeep with painted matching fenders and roof. To me, looks-wise it's the only choice. I say that because it's a Black Jeep....the other color Jeeps lend to a more visually appealing look with the flat black fender/roof combo. Black Jeeps look great clean and at night...they are a real bugger to keep that way. Great choice and enjoy...you could always get the whole Jeep wrapped in Flat black.

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
I have a Black jeep with painted matching fenders and roof. To me, looks-wise it's the only choice. I say that because it's a Black Jeep....the other color Jeeps lend to a more visually appealing look with the flat black fender/roof combo. Black Jeeps look great clean and at night...they are a real bugger to keep that way. Great choice and enjoy...you could always get the whole Jeep wrapped in Flat black.
On my morning commute I often see a guy in a black JL Rubi 2-door with painted fenders and steel bumpers. It looks great, but I don't think he wheels it. It's absolutely immaculate, not a mark on it, and always clean.

If you're going on forest roads and trails you'll want the unpainted fenders, as the brush can get quite close.

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
Short and sweet response but got me. I repriced without the color match. That $1700 savings plus a badazz look vs. the city slicker finish is convincing me. Some good detailing products and I gotta think the matt finish is the best solution. Pretty much sold. Going to the dealer to order on Friday. Anyone want to talk me out of it?
City slicker finish...LOL. If there was no cost to go painted, what would you do? There is your answer.

vegasblue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Boy. Brave to go black if taking off road. I had a black truck once, not good for my marriage at all. I HATE swirls and man does black like to show them off if not washed correctly. Anywho, I like the matte fenders and top so much more. Plus, you can cut them for the slimmer look which you will do....one day. In my case I knew I was taking all the plastic off the Jeep before I bought it. I knew I was going to run Metalcloak so easy choice for me. I also have Hydro Blue and while I love the color, too much of it is not a good thing.

Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I've owned two black Wranglers and trying to order a third. They get wheeled, scratched, scraped, all of it. It is what it is.

Black, soft top, matte fenders.

Luke3.0

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 3.0
With black you can’t go wrong either way. At first I was going matte, but ended up ordering full gloss fenders and top after I saw one in person. Pictures don’t do it justice. The upgraded finish is worth the cost in my opinion. For perspective, it would have been one of the first option deletes if I needed to trim the cost when I ordered.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I've had black vehicles. No more. But they look great when clean and unscathed. You're brave going black on a Jeep that sees the forest. Maybe think about a full protective film.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
That's a unique approach for background. :LOL:
Sponsored