Glock Guy advice needed.

1. JeepU4IA

JeepU4IA Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Rod
    Vehicle(s):
    2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport
    Liked:
    I love my Glock 17 (9mm). At first, I was shooting tight groups but low left as you mentioned. Then I learned this is due to a tight grip. I loosened my grip a little and saw much improvement.

Wabujitsu and Gadsden11 like this.
  2. Gadsden11

Gadsden11 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLU Sport
    Liked:
    Glad you could fix your grip with a little adjustment!! Low left is very common for right handed shooters. So.etimes its grip and sometimes it's a jerky trigger pull or a sympathetic Squeezing of the other three fingers on your right hand tightening as you pull the trigger.

Wabujitsu and JeepU4IA like this.
  3. cbr954

cbr954 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Gmc Acadia Ford Edge
    Liked:
  4. Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLU Sport on 33s w/LSD
    Liked:
    Retired US Army
    Having taught on military and civilian ranges for years, my gut is telling me it’s what others have said - trigger control, with recoil anticipation. There are a number of ways to drill this out. Here’s my suggestion:

This is a dry-fire drill. Get a snap cap of the right caliber to protect your firing pin. Rack the slide. Take your normal grip and stance that works for you with your other firearms. Slowly squeeze until seer release. LEAVE THE TRIGGER FULLY DEPRESSED. Very slowly release pressure on the trigger until you hear/feel the seer reset, then STOP at that point without releasing full trigger pressure. Take note in the feeling of your hand/hearing where the seer reset point is. Release, and repeat the entire procedure.

After you do that a few hundred times, go to the range and do the same thing with live ammo, EXCEPT when you stop at seer reset, squeeze again with your following shot. Try to pause at each seer reset to fire the next shot. If you accidentally completely release pressure on the trigger, just start at the beginning again.

Does this make sense?

Sean L likes this.
  5. Wabujitsu

First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    Retired US Army
    Also, don’t be too concerned about not hitting all of your shots into a tiny little target. That of course is great if you can do it, but for self-defense purposes, ALL you have to achieve is hitting a HUGE torso-sized target, somewhere around center mass, at no more than 20 meters. Most self defense engagements take place inside that range. You don’t have to be Jimmy Bond to take out the bad guy; he’s a huge target for you, after working on half-dollar-size groupings.

In a shooting, the guy who gets off the quickest rounds and shoots the most rounds usually perseveres. That doesn’t mean that you can shoot willy-nilly, of course - because you, being the good guy, don’t want to hit innocent targets accidentally. But there’s no breath control, no trigger discipline, and many times there’s not even a sight picture under the heat of battle. With that said, look up some videos of body alignment shooting - where you don’t use the sights to hit your target.

6. Wabujitsu

First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    Retired US Army
    I had the EXACT same issue with Glock and XD.

JeepU4IA likes this.
  7. Wabujitsu

First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    Retired US Army
    Absolutely; GREAT point! This really came home to me when I started shooting a compound bow. Beginners always grip with the bow hand through the shot, which adversely impacts accuracy. Correct form is to leave your bow hand completely open, the pressure of your draw holding it against your hand. Release the shot with your draw hand leaving your bow hand completely open. That’s why they make a wrist strap for the bow hand, so you don’t drop the bow.

The same principle somewhat applies with pistol grip. A death grip screws up the impact point. A firm but pliable grip that allows muzzle flip is the sweet spot.