AucturitasJones Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    Liked:
    Business Management
    Garage Profiles:
    I find Jeep guys often own guns and have some valuable hunting/ Shooting advice. Plus this is the only forum I participate in currently and don't really know many shooting forums. I need some advice about my new Glock 20. I normally shoot 1911 (.45, 10mm, and a 9mm), and also own an XDM 9MM. My groups on the 1911 are tight I've been shooting them for 20+ years. About 8-9 years ago I bought the XDM which was my first tupperware gun and learned to shoot it but my groups are just slightly looser at all ranges than the 1911. I think there's just a different feel to the pistol but by looser I go from a half-dollar size group at 25 feet to a silver dollar group. So it's not an extreme difference. I bought the Glock because I found it unshot but privately owned for $400 and I have shot my dads smaller framed Glock 19 which is a fun gun to shoot. I also have thought the Glock and XDms are fairly similar and expected a reasonably similar experience.

Not surprisingly the glocks 10MM rounds are a lot hotter than the 9 and like I said I shoot 10mm out of a 1911 and have nice tight consistent groups. But on the lighter Glock 20 10mm I am all over the place shooting this thing. Literally on the silhouette I cant hit it center of mass to save my life, except by accident. Frustrated after a box of 50 I brought it home checked it with a laser bore sight, it appears dead on.

Went back and sand bag shot it. A little better but still all over the flippen place. At this point I have got to be either gripping it wrong, or sighting it wrong. It is a super stock pistol, nothing has been done to it, and it does not give me any reason to think something is wrong with the firearm, its got to be something with me.

So glock guys, where should I start troubleshooting? I have been gripping it basically the same as my other pistols right hand high as possible, palm gripped with loose thumb, left hand on the grip fingers locked on top of right fingers with index finger up to the bottom of the trigger guard, both palms on the grips, both thumbs loose and pointing up to left, in an isosceles stance. When I sand bag it's similar but seated on the bench buried in the bag.

Wabujitsu likes this.
  2. UKCATS

UKCATS Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Rubicon 2 door/2020 Gladiator Rubicon
    Liked:
    I play piano in a whorehouse
    Some guns just fit a given individual better. I have a lot Glocks, including a 20, but I tend to shoot my M&P’s a little better. I carry the G20 when Jeeping the back country of Colorado, just in case of a angry bear or moose. Glock triggers take awhile to master. I would say just keep practicing. And check out Underwood Ammo’s selection of 10mm stuff. Nice and hot.

AucturitasJones and Sean L like this.
  3. roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
    Liked:
    Engineer
    I'm not a Glock fan, but I have one in 40 cal in the safe. I don't shoot it much. It was a gift from a friend. Of course, being a 1911 fan myself and having shot them for 40 years, I find the grip angle a bit unnatural in the Glock. But there are aftermarket do-dads that can help with that. But all 1911 guys will note the long, spungie feel of the Glock trigger. I think that's your issue. I don't know a way other than a lot of shooting to get used to that trigger. Especially for rapid fire. This is one of the reasons I prefer a gun with more conventional single action trigger.

Wabujitsu and AucturitasJones like this.
  4. Gadsden11

Gadsden11 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLU Sport
    Liked:
    Are the rounds consistently hitting, say low left, if you are right handed for example. It is easier to diagnose some shooting errors by where the rounds hit compared to where you are aiming.
    The trigger is going to be wildly different that a nice tuned 1911 trigger and takes some adjustment as stated above.
    I do love my Glocks!!
    20180405_153002.png

Sean L and UKCATS like this.
  5. Sean L

Sean L Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Sean
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2017 Honda Accord Sport, 2003 Yamaha V Star 650 Silverado, 2014 Yamaha V Star 1300 Tourer
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    Slow steady trigger pull is all I can think of. The glock pistols are about as close as you can get to double action in a striker fired pistol. The striker spring is compressed by the trigger pull itself and I've always sucked at double action only hammer fired pistols. I've eventually learned how to smoothly pull the trigger and allow a reset for my follow on shots and my Glock 22 shoots dead on when I get it steady enough. I also find the .40 S&W rounds to be plenty for my useage.

6. Stormin’ Moorman

Stormin’ Moorman Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 JLUR and Shelby GT 500
    Liked:
    Forester
    Garage Profiles:
    Everyone shoots 1911s better than glocks, that’s the way god intended it. Keep in mind a glock weighs roughly half of a steel frame 1911 and you’re shooting a round that travels roughly twice the speed of a big, fat, slow 45.

AucturitasJones, bellts and Sean L like this.
  7. 2019RUBI

2019RUBI Member

First Name:
    john
    Vehicle(s):
    2012 Camry, 2017 Camaro 2SS, 1990 Mustang, 2019 Rubi on order
    Liked:
    Glocks have a different grip angle than most guns and simply don't point or feel natural for some. I bought a gen 2 Glock 19 in 9mm back in the early 90's. Everyone was telling me how great they were so I gave it a shot. After about a year of owning it I realized I wasn't shooting it as well as I liked and started looking around. I found that Sig's fit me better and moved to a P226.

I've been a Sig guy ever since. My guess is that the grip angle is your issue as well.

8. bellts

bellts Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Timmy!
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport (Timmychanga!), 2001 Toyota Tacoma XtraCab 4X4
    Liked:
    The thing that has helped me on every pistol that I own is to be "hyper" focused on the front sight. I could go on and on with other things to worry about but first master your front sight. The issue is you, not your glock (while I own several, I'm a sig guy myself).

And... dry firing is your friend!

9. OP
    OP
    AucturitasJones

AucturitasJones Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    Liked:
    Business Management
    Garage Profiles:
    I am familiar with the troubleshooting targets that help find anticipation or pulling on the trigger and unfortunately I'm all over the target at least the size of a big pie pan. If anything everything's slightly higher instead of lower. I went to a gun show in Minnesota a couple weeks ago and talked to the Glock rep who is also an instructor. He says it's not uncommon when switching from the 1911 to a Glock to see some trouble for some guys but he had me hold a pistol and had me correct the angle of my left support hand, and turn my right elbow down to lock it tighter in place. It seems to have helped, I'd say my groups have shrank by a couple inches. If anything I'm reaquiring the front sight a lot faster. I've determined that I just need to put lots of time in with this gun until I get it dialed in. Thanks for the advice everyone, I'm going to try and integrate everybody's suggestions to see what helps. :)

Sean L and UKCATS like this.
  10. Gadsden11

Gadsden11 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLU Sport
    Liked:
    Glad you are shooting better! More trigger time always helps. If you ever make it down to Milwaukee hit me up and we will go shoot. I'll bring the ammo.

UKCATS likes this.
  11. Squibbles

Squibbles Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    GTI, Ranger
    Liked:
    Glocks also have kind of a high trigger pull since they’re DAO. Do like a 2lb trigger and you’ll be surprised at the difference a hair trigger makes for accuracy, I wouldn’t recommend that on a conceal carry though.
    I forgot the Glock 20/21 has a really awful grip, normal sized hands tend not to be ideal. A lot of people have them machined or reshape them.

12. Sean L

Sean L Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Sean
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2017 Honda Accord Sport, 2003 Yamaha V Star 650 Silverado, 2014 Yamaha V Star 1300 Tourer
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    Yep, and I think they make slim frame versions of those now. I always thought the older Glocks in .45 were too bulky but since I've seen my uncles G36 I like em.

13. roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
    Liked:
    Engineer
    When I don't like a gun, I usually sell it.

There's something for everyone. But some things are not for everyone.

14. CJ7nvrstk

CJ7nvrstk Member

First Name:
    Glenn
    Vehicle(s):
    85 CJ, 11 JKU
    Liked:
    Maybe these can help!

image.jpg

image.jpg

JeepU4IA, Sean L and UKCATS like this.
  15. UKCATS