Shawn_1121

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
Hey Jeep Fam,

Wife’s lease is up next spring so we have started the preliminary research on what the next vehicle will be. She has brought up that she enjoys my wrangler and loves the ease of the Sky One top and also our daughter loves it more then anything.

So I thru out the idea of getting a Gladiator and it being my daily driver and her having the JLU. She’s fully on board as long as I‘m 100% okay with it. Never driven one... so how different could it be. I would most likely get the eco diesel option as right now the wrangler is the 2.0T and would like to have something with more juice and towing capacity.

I know there’s Gladiators forums (starting creeping already) But wanted to see if anyone here has both or has had both.

look forward to any advice, experiences, and comments.

thank you,
Shawn
Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Having driven both the driving experience and feel is about the same, with the Gladiator being a little smoother because of the additional wheel base. No experience with the diesel so can’t speak to that.

Gregj

Tdurden032

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
I’ve heard nothing but great things about the gladiators - haven’t driven one yet myself but the Jeep owners that I know that have really like the added functionality and slightly smoother ride.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
As long as you can fit it in your garage, it's all good!

Tellurian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My understanding is that as a DD, the Gladiator is a smoother drive due to the extended wheelbase; however, whilst fully capable off-road, it can be a bit of a boat on the the trails - especially wooded ones.

That said, it’s a Jeep first and a pickup second.

Sponsored

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
As long as you can fit it in your garage, it's all good!
Amen to that. My wife was considering getting a Gladiator instead of her JLU. We browsed the dealer lots on a Sunday so we wouldn't be pestered by sales people. They looked larger than her old JK but just about everything does.

I suggested that we go home and look up the specs for a Gladiator and see how it'll fit in the garage. I have some storage cabinets in the front of the garage and a Gladiator parked in there with just enough clearance for the back bumper to close the door there would have been about 12 inches of room between the cabinets and the front bumper. Those things are about as long as an 18-wheeler.

Anyway, she settled on a JLU. While still a bit longer than her old JK, it fits OK in the garage.

Wiggy

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I have a 2020 Rubi Gladiator and my wife has a JLU. I’d say they drive consistently I actually like driving the gladiator just a little bit better.

whiteglad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
After two JKUR's, I now have a JT and love it. Better highway ride, good off-road (but not the ultimate rock crawler, of course, with the extra wheelbase), and extra capability with the pickup bed and towing capacity being over double that of the JLU.

Steevr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon, 2015 F-150 Platinum
Just don't expect more towing capacity with the diesel than the 3.6L and as a matter of fact, it is less. TFL Trucks just did a video on the upcoming diesel for the Gladiator and while it's 7,000lbs for a Rubicon with the 3.6L, it's only 6,500 with the diesel. Most likely because the Diesel engine weighs more than the gas and thus takes away from the GVWR.

m3lover1

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR, 2007 Yamaha R6
My uncle has the JT Rubicon. Drives very similar, but it is slower compared to my JLUR (yes I can tell). It is more stable on the freeway with the longer wheelbase. For me, of course I'm biased cause it's mine, I like driving the JL more lol.

Sponsored

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
I’m picking up a Tremor for the same price as a gladiator rubicon.

TheWingman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JLUR
Owned a JLUR for 20k miles before trading it in on a Gladiator. We go camping a lot and the Wrangler just didn’t have the room we needed (family of 5) or towing capacity to pull a trailer. Ended up getting a max tow model last November. With a soft tonneau cover everything in the bed stays dry. It’s a more versatile vehicle overall, but less capable off road because of the wheel base. It is my daily and it is smooth as butter on the road compared to the JL. Longer wheel base cuts down on the bucking and smooths out the ride very nicely. At 8k miles and no issues so far.

konakona

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSD
Build Thread
Link
My friend has one. Ever since moving 2 houses down from him I take it weekly for Home Depot/ Lowe’s runs :) I will say it drives smoother but I’m guessing that has to do with the longer wheel base. Dash readout shows 19mpg every time I drive it. 2 1/2 lift on 37s. It fits in a standard size garage barely length wise.

Jeep Wrangler JL Gladiators! Who has one? 8D4FAD45-8A95-4B4F-9CF3-767C1095BD1B