First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
  • Banned
Anyone else see this yet?
https://tfltruck.com/2020/10/the-je...ke-controller-will-also-work-with-a-wrangler/

Official info and parts # of Gladiator Trailer Brake Controller via JeepGladiatorForum.com:

Mopar Trailer Brake Controller for Jeep Gladiator Officially Released

The part # for the Mopar Trailer Brake Controller is
  • 82215652AB
Mopar Introduces New Factory-backed Trailer Brake Controller for Jeep® Gladiator

October 13, 2020 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - Mopar, FCA’s service, parts and customer-care brand, is enhancing the towing experience of the Jeep® Gladiator with the release of a new trailer brake controller.

The new Mopar trailer brake controller will give Jeep Gladiator owners the ability to activate the electronic brakes on properly equipped trailers. Independent from the truck’s brakes, the additional trailer brake control allows for greater stopping power when needed, such as on downhill grades, while helping to minimize wear and tear on both the trailer and vehicle. The amount of brake force on the trailer may be customized depending on load requirements.

“At Mopar, we continue to expand our comprehensive Jeep portfolio, which includes more than 500 factory-backed, quality-tested parts and accessories,” said Mark Bosanac, Head of Mopar Service, Parts and Customer Care, FCA – North America. “Our new trailer brake controller improves Jeep Gladiator’s braking efficiency and maximizes safety when towing.”

The new trailer brake controller is easily integrated into the Jeep Gladiator’s instrument panel. Installed in front of the transmission shift lever, the round controller knob provides a consistent look and feel with the vehicle’s interior. The new controller may also be retrofitted into Jeep Gladiators that are already on the road.

Available for purchase as a stand-alone part in the U.S. and Canada, the new Mopar trailer brake controller has a manufacturer’s suggested retail price of $299. The standard Mopar factory-backed warranty coverage includes two years/unlimited miles from date of purchase or up to the remainder of the new-vehicle’s warranty of three years/36,000 miles.

r-jeep-gladiator-trail-brake-controller-knob-1-jpg.jpg

r-jeep-gladiator-trail-brake-controller-knob-2-jpg.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Gadgettr1

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
college student
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone have the installation instructions for us to view?

PaulwithJeep

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500, 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Anyone have the installation instructions for us to view?
When my parts department looked it up for me it said the guide was "under development" so not sure when we will have that. Although the part is available it isn't even technically in the catalog yet.

Sponsored

mdelzer

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.undercontrollabs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JULR Sting-Gray
Occupation
Developer, Home Automation and AV
A couple of the different online parts suppliers that are already listing this part show that is only works on the 2019-2021 JLs. I wonder what is different the 2018s? I'm pretty sure if you have a 2018 with the towing package it already is pre-wired for trailer brakes on the left side of the wheel. Maybe you just have to extend some wires that are pre-ran on the 2019-2021?

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
This is a much more valuable addition to my Jeep than a keyed cigarette lighter /DC outlet.

And I don't even tow a trailer.

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
Preordered for my wrangler last week. The website ordered from said it would fit my 2019 wrangler. I can report when get the part and installation.
Note : At that time, did not show available for 2018 IDK

rcr1340

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon(LJ)
Occupation
retail manager
I was wondering if it deletes the 12v plug or does it get installed somewhere else?

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
Deletes the plug, Some are saying they will try and relocate the plug to another location. But from Mopar the plug gets deleted

Sponsored

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Wow! Thanks for the heads-up! I tow regularly and this will be a welcome addition! Really was hoping for a factory controller. Never did get one for the Grand!

Parratt

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUD, 1988 MJ, 2010 XK (Sold)
Would this theoretically increase towing capacity on the JLU? 3500 on the diesel and you can barely tell anything is behind you.

JRMedic19

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLURD, '14 Toyo Highlander, '19 Toyo Camry
Occupation
Wang-Jangler
Vehicle Showcase
@Parratt I've done a lot of research into this topic and this happens to be my vocational wheelhouse. The short answer, no.

The reason is two fold, and there will likely be someone who will disagree with me. The wheelbase on JLU's is too short and makes wrangler-trailer combinations prone to jack-knife when braking under heavy load. Second, engine and oil cooling is not sufficient in the current diesel (Wrangler specific) setup to compensate for the additional heat generated from the extra work. These are engineering limitations.

Now, people have had some success in avoiding problems by adding a brake controller, Weight distribution hitch, Air assist kits, and switching out the front grill inserts with the JT, or any combination of the four. These modifications will help you avoid the two problems but you have begun playing a a balancing act in regards to roadworthiness.

Safety is your first priority. Consider the monetary and legal ramifications of your decisions. Chances are, you'll be a safe driver and will have no problems. However, if i load up my wife and kids in the car, hook up the boat and head out to the lake consider how valuable (read, irreplaceable) my family is. Then, consider how much money I've invested into these two vehicle's. Worse case scenario consider the family driving on the freeway in the lane next next to you. A good lawyer will easily be able to squeeze every single last penny from you.

Just something to consider.

RonAZ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Looks like they just copied the Redarc design. Thats what I went with on my 2018 JLUR.
In 2019 the Jeep engineer in Moab told be that they didn't put a brake controller with the tow package because they could not decide on where to put it. The Redarc one works very well.
Sponsored