Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Yep... I'm really hoping someone like TFL does an offroad comparison of the Gladiator and the Power Wagon. At the Denver auto show they had them sitting very close to each other. They look remarkably similar in the break over and departure angles. Of course the Power Wagon is much bigger overall. but it would be interesting to see a comparison review between the two. In terms of truck capability and off road capability I think they're much closer than people realize and they're similar money. Seems to me that you're getting a lot more for your dollar with the Power Wagon. V8, more power, much more interior space, bigger bed. The Gladiator is a more city friendly size, convertible, and has a better approach angle.
That would be pretty cool to see a direct comparison video with the two trucks. I know a few months ago they did a Power Wagon vs Rebel video.
Sponsored

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Want to do truck stuff, save about $10,000 dollars

2019 Ford F-250 XLT 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Super Cab Short Box
Pickup truck

MSRP: $51,955
Towing capacity: 12,600 lbs
Curb weight: 6,360 lbs
Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain 2019 Ford F-250 Super Duty, F-350Super Duty and F-450 Super Duty vehicles. An incorrect transmission case casting may cause the park pawl assembly to not be secured, possibly resulting in unintended vehicle movement. ... The recall began December 7, 2018.
Every company has issues (EVEN FORD)

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain 2019 Ford F-250 Super Duty, F-350Super Duty and F-450 Super Duty vehicles. An incorrect transmission case casting may cause the park pawl assembly to not be secured, possibly resulting in unintended vehicle movement. ... The recall began December 7, 2018.
Every company has issues (EVEN FORD)
It is not about Ford quality. It is about the cost of the Gladiator and its ability to do actual truck stuff. I just think if you want a truck for towing, there are many WAY better options for a lot less money.

The only reason that I would buy a Gladiator is because I would want a truck that go topless.

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
It is not about Ford quality. It is about the cost of the Gladiator and its ability to do actual truck stuff. I just think if you want a truck for towing, there are many WAY better options for a lot less money.

The only reason that I would buy a Gladiator is because I would want a truck that go topless.
Exactly. More than being able to get rolling with a load attached us involved. You need to be able to stop, but more importantly, keep it under control. The control part is tow vehicle length and weight.
I wonder about the reality in these towing numbers on trucks today. The manufacturers are in some sort of arms race to see who has the highest to ratings.

If you need to tow, get a real truck.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone know how heavy the trailer in the original post weighs? I can't see the branding on the trailer clearly enough to look it up. Its got a double axle so its possible it exceeded the 7000 lb rating of a Gladiator Rubicon.

Sponsored

LunchBoxFab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
It is about the cost of the Gladiator and its ability to do actual truck stuff.
cant do truck stuff if its in for re-call!!

i kid i kid.

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
People are guessing and making I don't know comments

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Does anyone know how heavy the trailer in the original post weighs? I can't see the branding on the trailer clearly enough to look it up. Its got a double axle so its possible it exceeded the 7000 lb rating of a Gladiator Rubicon.
I had a 2010 Rockwood Roo hybrid travel trailer with dual axles. It was about 3500 lbs unloaded. This trailer could have been over the Gladiator tow rating but I don't think the tell tale would be dual axles.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I had a 2010 Rockwood Roo hybrid travel trailer with dual axles. It was about 3500 lbs unloaded. This trailer could have been over the Gladiator tow rating but I don't think the tell tale would be dual axles.
Very well, so the problem seen in the original post could just be slamming on the brakes without trailer brakes, and that could make even a full size truck jackknife. :facepalm:

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Very well, so the problem seen in the original post could just be slamming on the brakes without trailer brakes, and that could make even a full size truck jackknife. :facepalm:
Could be. Trailer sway, improper loading, wind, abrupt lane change, who knows. Lots of things could cause it. Tractor trailers jack knife in wrecks quite often and they are made for the loads they are pulling.

Sponsored

jack0351

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys, 2013 Ram 3500, 2000 HD FXST,
Having survived a much more serious RV accident, I am now paranoid about having WAY too much safety built in. I tow my toyhauler (40' 5ver- Voltage 3600) with a Ram 3500 because I learned the hard way about how all those towing numbers interact.

I wrecked a 34' toyhauler pull-behind and an F350 dually because of that. I fell into the "it's a diesel dually, of course it will tow that" mindset. As a result, my RV, motorcycle, and dually were all totaled, and the interstate I was on was closed for hours. There's a much longer story, but that's the gist. Know your limitations, and that of your tow vehicle; and how those numbers can lead to a false sense of security.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
For doing truck stuff, there are so many better options for the same money.
Exactly. If I were interested in towing that much, I got the Ram atm for that.

What a damn shame regardless, hopefully everything's ok
Sponsored