Gladiator Suspension on a JL Sport???

BajaJL

First Name
Gilberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Just another thought, if you just use the shocks, and the JL is lifted, maybe one can have shock extensions up front, and still use the rear (without shock extension). I guess someone will have to get hold of the shocks and measure how much longer it is.

P.S. is this the fox 2.5" wide body shocks?
The rear won’t fit on a JL.. JT has 5 link rear suspension, and uses different points, and the springs are much longer.
But dang, that price is nice though..
You should be able to get around 2” lift up front though, since the JTs have 0.2” more ground clearance than JL rubicon.
I know m reply is a little late, I had this done to my 2018 JL, however you will need to get springs for the back, the ones from the Gladiator will not work, I bought these from SkyJacker:
JLU15RDR - Jeep Wrangler JL 4 Door Rear Dual Rate Long Travel Coil Springs 1-1.5 inch Lift
and had adapters made for the rear shocks, it is a budget solution that worked for me, pretty happy with results.

thance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Commander, 2002 Liberty, Looking for JLURD
I know m reply is a little late, I had this done to my 2018 JL, however you will need to get springs for the back, the ones from the Gladiator will not work, I bought these from SkyJacker:
JLU15RDR - Jeep Wrangler JL 4 Door Rear Dual Rate Long Travel Coil Springs 1-1.5 inch Lift
and had adapters made for the rear shocks, it is a budget solution that worked for me, pretty happy with results.
@BajaJL can you elaborate? How much lift did you get, what’s the difference in shock lengths, what do the new brackets look like, pics? How does it ride on and off road? This is a great op for a write-up.

Sponsored

BajaJL

First Name
Gilberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
@BajaJL can you elaborate? How much lift did you get, what’s the difference in shock lengths, what do the new brackets look like, pics? How does it ride on and off road? This is a great op for a write-up.
Hi Thance,

Please keep in mind that I had a buddy do the work for me (I'm not mechanically inclined, at least not at that level yet).

I first bought complete suspension off a 2020 Jeep Gladiator from someone in Craigslist for $300, a week later I took my 2018 JL sport to my buddy I left it there and he was only able to swap the front shocks and spring, but on the rear shocks he had to use "adapters" I don't have a picture of what he used but here is a pic of the difference:
Jeep Wrangler JL Gladiator Suspension on a JL Sport??? rear shock difference with text

Please note that the adapters are only needed on the top part of shocks, the other end of shocks do match JL (see below)
Jeep Wrangler JL Gladiator Suspension on a JL Sport??? rear shocks bottom.JPG

The rear springs were no compatible either, the ends on the spring are different so I had to purchase these from Skyjacker:

https://skyjacker.com/shop/jeep/wra...ate-long-travel-coil-springs-1-1-5-inch-lift/

Here is the before and after:

Jeep Wrangler JL Gladiator Suspension on a JL Sport??? Shocks before and after

And this is what it looks like with 35's

Jeep Wrangler JL Gladiator Suspension on a JL Sport??? with 35s.JPG

Over all I think I spent about less than $500, I think I got about 2 inch lift, this being my first Jeep and me being new to Jeeps I can't really tell any difference from the stock shocks, perhaps maybe a little stiffer ride but not enough to really notice...

I wish I could provide you better technical/mechanical details, if you have any questions shoot me a msg and I can probably ask my buddy for better info.

hope that helps

BajaJL

thance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Commander, 2002 Liberty, Looking for JLURD
Looks great! Thanks for the details. Are you running wheel spacers, any rubbing at full lock?

BajaJL

First Name
Gilberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Looks great! Thanks for the details. Are you running wheel spacers, any rubbing at full lock?
Thanks, yes I have 1 3/4 Spider Trax spacers, ther was some rubbing on the front bumper, oddly it was only at full turn going in reverse, i trimmed about half inch to the plastic bumper on both sides, haven't noticed any rubbing on the fenders...

Nuckleslandscaping

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jl
OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Been there did that springs work and made the spacers on rear shocks and they work great on my wrangler jl. And it was the same lift as rubicon suspension.
post up some pics if you can

rockclimber

First Name
Tara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Purchasing Assistant
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Thance,

Please keep in mind that I had a buddy do the work for me (I'm not mechanically inclined, at least not at that level yet).

I first bought complete suspension off a 2020 Jeep Gladiator from someone in Craigslist for $300, a week later I took my 2018 JL sport to my buddy I left it there and he was only able to swap the front shocks and spring, but on the rear shocks he had to use "adapters" I don't have a picture of what he used but here is a pic of the difference:

Please note that the adapters are only needed on the top part of shocks, the other end of shocks do match JL (see below)

The rear springs were no compatible either, the ends on the spring are different so I had to purchase these from Skyjacker:

https://skyjacker.com/shop/jeep/wra...ate-long-travel-coil-springs-1-1-5-inch-lift/

Here is the before and after:

And this is what it looks like with 35's

Over all I think I spent about less than $500, I think I got about 2 inch lift, this being my first Jeep and me being new to Jeeps I can't really tell any difference from the stock shocks, perhaps maybe a little stiffer ride but not enough to really notice...

I wish I could provide you better technical/mechanical details, if you have any questions shoot me a msg and I can probably ask my buddy for better info.

hope that helps

BajaJL
This was really helpful for me to see! I have to ask.. why did you get springs for a 1-1.5” lift instead of a 2-2.5” lift since the rubicon is about 2”? Do you have any idea where he got the adapters so the shocks could be mounted?

I have a 2.5” spacer lift from rugged ridge so I’m thinking maybe I just swap out the shocks and springs and call it good with the spacers still mounted…if anyone else knows, are there any other parts that would be good to swap out while I’m doing this? I’d also like to get some new ball joints since I only have stock.
Sponsored