Sponsored

Thetickz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Sport S
If you'd like a great looking metal skid plate, the Jeep Gladiator JT steel skid plate is a great option. For around $200 you can install the silver Mojave or black Rubicon skid plate on your JL. It provides about one inch of additional clearance to the ground compared to the plastic ones. It also works with a lot of aftermarket bumpers. Parts list, instructions and pictures below.

You'll need one of these JT steel skids. Same thing, different colors.
  • 68409966AA x 1 - Mojave silver skid plate
  • 68356721AB x 1 - Rubicon black skid plate
Then you'll need all of the following brackets, screws, bolts and nutserts.
  • 6512587AA x 4 - Skid plate mounting screws
  • 68353836AB x 1 - Skid Plate Bracket, Right
  • 68353837AB x 1 - Skid Plate Bracket, Left
  • 68356520AA x 1 - Skid Plate Bracket, Right
  • 68356521AA x 1 - Skid Plate Bracket, Left
  • 6511076AA x 8 - Nutserts for mounting the brackets to the frame horns
  • 6104414AA x 8 - Hex head bolts for mounting skid plate brackets into the nutserts

1. - Remove your factory plastic air dam
Jeep Wrangler JL Gladiator JT Steel Skid Plate on a Wrangler JL - Install & Pictures Screen Shot 2021-03-05 at 10.00.16 PM

2. - Remove the metal skid plate behind it
Jeep Wrangler JL Gladiator JT Steel Skid Plate on a Wrangler JL - Install & Pictures Screen Shot 2021-03-05 at 10.00.25 PM

3. - Install the 8 nutserts into the holes on each frame horn. That's 4 nutserts for each of the 2 frame horns.
Jeep Wrangler JL Gladiator JT Steel Skid Plate on a Wrangler JL - Install & Pictures Screen Shot 2021-03-05 at 10.00.32 PM

Jeep Wrangler JL Gladiator JT Steel Skid Plate on a Wrangler JL - Install & Pictures Screen Shot 2021-03-05 at 10.00.44 PM

4. - Install the 4 brackets with the 8 hex head bolts (2 bolts per bracket)

5. - Secure the new skid plate to the brackets using the 4 screws

For more pictures, see this thread on the Gladiator forum.
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/installing-stock-rubicon-skid-plate-on-sport.26170/

Jeep Wrangler JL Gladiator JT Steel Skid Plate on a Wrangler JL - Install & Pictures PXL_20210724_205927866.MP
Sponsored

Last edited:

lordcon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Wondering how the clearance on the OEM skid plate interacts with larger tires? I know with my 35s I had to trim both sides of the plastic bumper valence so that the wheels wouldn't rub into it at full lock. Not something you can do with the metal skid plate.

OP
OP
Thetickz

Thetickz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wondering how the clearance on the OEM skid plate interacts with larger tires? I know with my 35s I had to trim both sides of the plastic bumper valence so that the wheels wouldn't rub into it at full lock. Not something you can do with the metal skid plate.
I think this would provide better clearance side to side. It's a lot smaller than the plastic one. It provides about 1 inch more clearance from the ground because it doesn't drop down as far. Side to side it measures about 39 inches across the top and 36 inches across the bottom.

lordcon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
I think this would provide better clearance side to side. It's a lot smaller than the plastic one. It provides about 1 inch more clearance from the ground because it doesn't drop down as far. Side to side it measures about 39 inches across the top and 36 inches across the bottom.
Ok cool 36 inches wide is what I wanted to know. Ill have to check how wide my cut plastic one is.

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
So... is this any different than the one that comes with the steel bumper group?

Also... be sure to not overtighten those nutserts. It's a huge pain if you do.

Sponsored

rickrogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
I have a JTR running 35s (Ridge Grappler on AEV Pintler) and clearance is fine with this skid plate. YMMV with a JL, but a JT is kinda-sorta, mostly JL up-front, as this crowd knows

(And yeah, I'm one of the folks on the Gladiator thread mentioned by the OP)

OP
OP
Thetickz

Thetickz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So... is this any different than the one that comes with the steel bumper group?
Yes this JT skid plate is different than the one that comes with the steel bumper group. That skid plate screws into the bottom lip of the metal bumper so it won't work with anything but the metal front bumper.

This skid plate will work with any factory bumper and even some aftermarket ones. I'm planning on getting the Rugged Ridge Arcus Front Bumper and this skid works great with it.

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
Have you never used a grinder?

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 JT
For anyone else wondering about clearance, I'm running 37x12.50 Ridge Grapplers on Quadratec Recon wheels (+11 offset), and have no clearance issues with this skid plate.

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
Yes this JT skid plate is different than the one that comes with the steel bumper group. That skid plate screws into the bottom lip of the metal bumper so it won't work with anything but the metal front bumper.

This skid plate will work with any factory bumper and even some aftermarket ones. I'm planning on getting the Rugged Ridge Arcus Front Bumper and this skid works great with it.
Very cool, thanks!

Sponsored

bio86250

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys, 2022 JL Willys Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I did the same on my willys but my only concern is the steel bumper. I was told there will be rub on mopar steel bumper if you have the mojave skid plate. It needs a modification for the bumper.
Now I am targeting the rugged ridge Spartacus bumper, what do you guys think?
Jeep Wrangler JL Gladiator JT Steel Skid Plate on a Wrangler JL - Install & Pictures 3C17BE54-B01E-4791-AE9D-15C70C91B147
Jeep Wrangler JL Gladiator JT Steel Skid Plate on a Wrangler JL - Install & Pictures 1619721883915

Grayson

First Name
Gray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - Sting Ray
Old thread sorta. Wondering if anyone can help. I have a '21 rubicon that came with factory plastic bumpers. I now have a molar steel bumper on the front and the steel skid plate that came can't be fully istalled. The issue I'm running into with is the bottom 2 bolts that bolt into the frame rail ends (not the 5 or 6 that go into the bottom of the bumper) have no place to bolt into.

I read the gladiator thread and ordered the parts not realizing the JT has a different skid. I believe I need
1) brackets left and right sides that bolt into frame rails to allow for skid plate to bolt up
2) Nutserts to bolt bracket left and right brackets
3) bolts to go into nutserts

Can anyone help? Thank you so much, I can't find any info

OP
OP
Thetickz

Thetickz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Old thread sorta. Wondering if anyone can help. I have a '21 rubicon that came with factory plastic bumpers. I now have a molar steel bumper on the front and the steel skid plate that came can't be fully istalled. The issue I'm running into with is the bottom 2 bolts that bolt into the frame rail ends (not the 5 or 6 that go into the bottom of the bumper) have no place to bolt into.

I read the gladiator thread and ordered the parts not realizing the JT has a different skid. I believe I need
1) brackets left and right sides that bolt into frame rails to allow for skid plate to bolt up

I think you need these brackets - 68353836AB and 8353837AB. These are the 2 brackets that fit on the bottom of the frame rails. These come on JT Rubicons from the factory. Then the 4 nutserts and 4 bolts are the same parts in the original thread.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Thetickz

Thetickz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Heads up, some 2018 and 2019 JL's don't have holes for the nutserts on the outside of the frame horns. Check your JL before ordering or prepare to drill your own holes for the nutserts. My 2020 had these from the factory.

Jeep Wrangler JL Gladiator JT Steel Skid Plate on a Wrangler JL - Install & Pictures PXL_20210605_135635307~2

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

Jeep Wrangler JL Gladiator JT Steel Skid Plate on a Wrangler JL - Install & Pictures A00012B7-29BA-4326-98A4-031EE5179D7C
Sponsored