Sponsored

Gladiator getting a redesigned 3.0 turbo diesel?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito JL Wrangler Unlimited

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
The 3.0 gladiator engine will be the same engine fitted to the Ram 1500 and JLU. It is the same basic 3.0 as the prior generation Ram 1500 and WK2 Grand Cherokee, with upgraded injectors, emissions controller, and other minor internals to improve both efficiency and NOx emissions after FCA got slapped for the last 3.0ā€™s emissions control software. Autoblog talked with the head of Ram trucks at the NYIAS and were told the EPA certification and initial 3.0 sales are still expected ā€œlater this yearā€...whatever that means. The 1500 and JLU 3.0s will be in the order banks around the same time...figure late summer at the earliest.

OP
OP
reality_tunnel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito JL Wrangler Unlimited
Do you think the improvements will help with the reliability of the motor? Is it just more emissions crap? I heard that these engineers are not the greatest and was thinking this was the reason for redesign.

Technoman

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 CJ-5/2015 JKURHR
I just hope it doesn't mean lower performance and more soot to deal with if we leave it stock. Seems like we've been waiting for this forever.I'm starting to get tired talking about it. LOL

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Does anyone know if there is anything any merit to this? Do you think that's the engine that will make it in the JL?
That's an old article, yes they will all share the updated version...

"Starting in 2019, the EcoDiesel V6 engine implements new turbocharger technology with a low-friction bearing designed for low-end and transient performance. The upgraded EcoDiesel V6 engine now also features low-friction pistons to improve fuel economy, reduce greenhouse gas emissions and provide an enhanced combustion system ā€“ new injector nozzle, piston bowl, and glow plug with an integrated combustion pressure sensor to optimize combustion."

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
As someone who has owned and loved two Audiā€™s with a 3L v6 diesel I really hope this is a winner. But sadly the facts are pretty clear that diesels are really tough to get to pass many of the more stringent emission regulations and still being performant,

The Audi ā€˜fixā€™ for the 3.0L neutered it to be a slug and poor economy. I lost a ton of performance and 4 mpg around town and 8 to 10 on the highway. What was a fantastic engine is no more.

I am a bit concerned that by the time FCA gets this certified and released it also will be so restricted it becomes pointless, I hope Iā€™m wrong but if the Germans canā€™t get a diesel right and have many more decades of putting them in commercial vehicles I donā€™t have a lot of faith in FCA to get it right either,

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you think the improvements will help with the reliability of the motor? Is it just more emissions crap? I heard that these engineers are not the greatest and was thinking this was the reason for redesign.
Letā€™s put it this way...itā€™s not often that a company is forced by EPA delays to leave an engine off the market for well over a year. The silver lining is they've had a ridiculous amount of time to invest in further R&D on an engine that is far from a complete redesign. If ever there was an opportunity for it to be right from the factory, this would be it. Any and all excuses related to rushing an engine to market to keep up with the joneses are no longer valid.

bruno747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rubicon Recon 2dr 6spd
Emissions was majority software issues.

In addition to the things already mentioned, I read somewhere that they addressed the two most common causes of failure in the engine. At least as far as catastrophic failure goes.

Redesigned oil cooler to stop the failures that leak coolant into oil resulting in bottom end failures.

Somehow addressed the cam gear slippage issue.

Wish I could find that discussion. Basically more or less the updates are for efficiency and reliability rather than a complete redesign.

rfr002

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 JKUR
I was told one of the delays for the diesel was figuring out how to deal with the regen cycle when offroad. The cycle (in the Rams) requires a certain speed to start and keep working. If you are say, overlanding, then you may not see that speed for quite a while.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was told one of the delays for the diesel was figuring out how to deal with the regen cycle when offroad. The cycle (in the Rams) requires a certain speed to start and keep working. If you are say, overlanding, then you may not see that speed for quite a while.
Good news if itā€™s not a great overland/offroad tune...just delete the DPF. Take the EGR while youā€™re at it.

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
That's a really good point. Thank you for the reminder. My 2006 Ram with the Cummins was pre-EGR and before any of that other nonsense was installed, so that's what I've been basing my interest and wants for a diesel on. But now that you mention it, I think about my friends with a new 6.7 Cummins and the hassles they go through or have gone through when the engine was stock.

This has me rethinking my plans. Sure, I can delete or bypass stuff, but that could be a hassle for warranty. The easy thought it just reinstall all the parts removed, or convert back to stock, but what would I do if I was on a trip and it failed, and I need to take it to the dealer for warranty/repair I didn't have the stock parts with me? hmm....
Sponsored