First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Software Engineer
I am not so sure I made the right choice going for the non painted fender flares.

You cannot get rid of the scratches, they scratch very easy, and replacing them is not that cheap.

The painted ones can be touched up, repainted or even covered with a protective clear 3M film.
Agreed - the plastic fenders are no bueno

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Consider upgrading the fasteners that hold on the fenders
Thanks for this recommendation, but I've never heard of any upgraded fasteners. Can you please explain further or provide a link? I am replacing a plastic fender flare with one that I got on CL, so definitely interested to understand this better. Many thanks!

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for this recommendation, but I've never heard of any upgraded fasteners. Can you please explain further or provide a link? I am replacing a plastic fender flare with one that I got on CL, so definitely interested to understand this better. Many thanks!
American Adventure Labs makes nice ones. In the pic I posted you can see the white clips that hold the fender on. They don't fare well to abuse so they computer print off some beefy ones and supply nuts and bolts to bolt them back on. They work great on the front fenders to really help stiffen them up after you shave the liner out.

Sponsored

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
It's a Jeep. This scratch will in no way affect the resale value. Don't worry about it. When it's broken in good and you're ready to get a new one, there will be some dude ready to buy it, rip the fenders off and put ridiculous tires on it.

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel
I discovered I can't get as close to our neighborhood mailboxes with a wrangler as with a normal car. At least I have plastic fenders. I would have been bummed if had nice painted fenders. I imagine a replacement plastic fender is much cheaper than a body colored painted fender.

Any suggestions on fixing these goudges?

Jeep Wrangler JL Glad I got the black plastic wheel Fenders ace-ventura
I recommend adding more scratches instead of fixing the ones you have. Preferably from very large rocks this time. ;)

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport (sold), 2021 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
This is why I opted for plastic fenders, too. I don't worry about scratching them up like I would painted.

Not on my JL, but I did that on my JK the first month I had it, scraping it against the side of the ramp to my parking garage at the time (couldn't see it from the angle of the turn and hadn't learned the distances on the Jeep yet). I didn't bother cleaning up the scrapes. Over time, the rest of the fender faded to match the lighter scraped parts.

Then I also gouged up the JK's rear ones years later in a very dumb way, enough that it looked like a potato peeler had come after it. Big curls of plastic sticking up. I ignored those too, until it was time to sell it. Then I took a razor blade and shaved off the chunks of peeled plastic. And, when working on restoring the fenders in general, I found that Meguiar's Ultimate Black helped make the color match and then the gouges were barely noticeable.

Haven't tried using heat, but I'd be worried about making it worse that way. Better off just slapping some conditioner on it and making up a better story about how you got your battle damage. ;)
Sponsored