Sponsored

Ginell, comforser and other Chinese offbrand tires, are they any good for the price? Looking for m/t, offroad and daily driving use

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
As noted ST (trailer) tires from China are questionable at best, and most commonly horrible.

I'm not a big China hater but for tires I would not risk it. One reason the Chinese aren't afraid to suck is because there's zero liability or blowback - if you die in a fiery crash worst case the imports of THAT tire are halted (and even that would take a near-literal act of Congress). They'll just change their name and resume imports. They would never be held remotely responsible for your death. And they have no qualms stamping something DOT certified or giving it a speed rating or weight rating with zero testing or actual QC
Sponsored

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Shoes. Tires. Mattresses.

Always spend good money on the things that keep you off the ground.

Politics of boycotting China where possible aside, I have serious reservations about Chinese tire quality and the impacts that can have on my vehicle and my safety. A blown tire on the highway can roll your rig.

A car-nut friend once pointed me towards a tire shop in Quebec that ships for cheap and has waaaay better prices than like Canadian Tire etc.

Quattro tire sounds familiar. It might have been them.
Bought from Quattro tires before(I believe you're right, that's the name) they were re-molds and aggressive mud tires. .. softer rubber therefore didn't last as long and were hard to balance.... probably not made for extensive road use.... but they were cheaper.

Great in snow!

OP
OP

dajaga

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport
Well how about taking a nice weekend trip down to the great US of A and spending a little of that Canadian money here for cheaper prices on tires? However you may need to find a tire dealer that takes that northern money. Do you really call them "loonies"?
Not free at all, someone has to pay for it. I still got premiums every month plus the government still double dips on taxes at the end of the year.

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
WOw, what is the actual price difference vs your life on the highway. due to a failure. CHinese have zero integrity when it comes to ANY product, why would tires be different?

Spend the extra $400 for a set and get REAL tires, that'll last 40k+ and not kill you with hydroplaning, blowouts, poor traction, etc. Ask the tire dealers about zero interest plans and such that can spread payments out over 12mo..

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
It ain't free.... pay taxes out our A$$...

Sponsored

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
It ain't free.... pay taxes out our A$$...
Still cheaper. We pay less in tax/fees for healthcare than they pay in premiums and out of pocket expenses on a per-capita basis.

Our tax burden is generally less than American taxes and health care combined.

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
This is really good advice! @dajaga

As of now, $1 CAD equals $0.74 USD. For 33 inch tires:

Falcons will cost, on average, $236.99/each in USD

BFG TA KO 2’s, will cost on average, $262.99/each in USD

(There is a $30 handling fee that is factored into the prices above)

Buying on this side of the border means you lose 26% of your money in the conversation. Is it worth it to you to buy here? I’ve no idea what these same models cost over where you’re at.

As other have mentioned, don’t shortcut your tires. Avoid the Chinese knock off brands if possible.
FYI... the falcons in CAD

236.99usd x 30% x5 x 15%(tax) + whatever they charge for disposal fee....($5 or 10 bucks per tire)

$1771 CAD without the disposal fee so add another 25 to 50 bucks.... compared to 1184.95 plus whatever tax you pay....

That's quite a difference.....

If my Math is correct....

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Still cheaper. We pay less in tax/fees for healthcare than they pay in premiums and out of pocket expenses on a per-capita basis.

Our tax burden is generally less than American taxes and health care combined.
Could be but my experience of living in both countries things in general came out cheaper in the states.... although I have been living back here in Canada since 2005.... things may have changed...

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Could be but my experience of living in both countries things in general came out cheaper in the states.... although I have been living back here in Canada since 2005.... things may have changed...
It’s A general thing, not individual. If you make more money you’ll often do better in the US than Canada.

And lets not get into the cost of housing in much of the US. God damn. Count me jealous there.
Sponsored