Sponsored

Ghost of Jeeps Past

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Just a general thread for those that have looked back on past jeeps and where they are now. Sold, handed down, etc.... no longer in your possession. If you have pictures when you owned and and what it looks like now, share them here. Tell your Jeep's history if you can.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DamekDasterdly
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
looked for a thread like this and didn't find. If anyone else can point to one, I'm happy to post there. Was inspired to make this because I am finally rejoining the Wrangler family after selling mine back in 2015. New JLU Sahara order is almost to the dealer and it made me think of doing a search on my old VIN. It was an '04 TJ X. Only 8 miles on it when I drove it off the lot. Unfortunately, I found it, in bad shape, and now destroyed. I hope who ever owned it at the time is ok. I'm just disappointed to see my first jeep come to this end.

Jeep Wrangler JL Ghost of Jeeps Past 20141028_181959 - Copy

Jeep Wrangler JL Ghost of Jeeps Past 20141028_182023 - Copy

Jeep Wrangler JL Ghost of Jeeps Past 20141028_182036 - Copy

Jeep Wrangler JL Ghost of Jeeps Past 20141028_182120 - Copy

Jeep Wrangler JL Ghost of Jeeps Past Screenshot 2020-12-11 132416 - Copy

Jeep Wrangler JL Ghost of Jeeps Past 427d14d9-efde-46de-a32e-35aed2c0fc5d

Jeep Wrangler JL Ghost of Jeeps Past 3422c513-665e-45b0-8872-5399cd1d2747

Jeep Wrangler JL Ghost of Jeeps Past 7072978a-6b0c-45b9-a891-bd69ed28d423

Jeep Wrangler JL Ghost of Jeeps Past cf6be8e4-be75-445a-a71c-d4763f80d69f

Jeep Wrangler JL Ghost of Jeeps Past d435fad9-be03-4d5c-9e6a-51cdd700afc9

N875ED

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
OK...had to chime in on this topic...

Attached is a photo of my 1966 CJ-6, my first Jeep that I purchased in 1971 as project. (Laast month I just purchased Jeep #13 - JLU80). The Hurricane-4 engine was in pieces, floors rusted through, metal "lunch box" hardtop, and old Goodyear Suburbanite tires.

So what is a sophomore in high school working at Texaco supposed to do? What else, install a 283 Chevy small block! Had to re-route the steering, get an Advance Adapters unit to couple the engine with the T-90 3-speed, and headers. I ended up re-wiring the whole thing with all red wire...no labels. (Pity the next owner who had to diagnose an electrical issue!) Oh, and it was used in mail delivery service so it had right hand steering; resulted in moving all the pedals and steering column over to the left. I guess I was ahead of my time with the black front grille. All in all, a fantastic learning experience for an engineer wanna-be.

Drove it for a year then had to replace the clutch on December 31, 1972. Long story short...rolled it sideways off the lift from 7' in the air. Closest I ever came to getting killed, really! Destroyed the windshield and soft top, big dent in the hood, but other than that it was pretty much OK. (That was how my 1973 started.)

I love these damn things; some would say a character flaw for sure. Might want one instead of a coffin in another 20 years.

1966 CJ-6.jpg

OP
OP
DamekDasterdly
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
OK...had to chime in on this topic...

Attached is a photo of my 1966 CJ-6, my first Jeep that I purchased in 1971 as project. (Laast month I just purchased Jeep #13 - JLU80). The Hurricane-4 engine was in pieces, floors rusted through, metal "lunch box" hardtop, and old Goodyear Suburbanite tires.

So what is a sophomore in high school working at Texaco supposed to do? What else, install a 283 Chevy small block! Had to re-route the steering, get an Advance Adapters unit to couple the engine with the T-90 3-speed, and headers. I ended up re-wiring the whole thing with all red wire...no labels. (Pity the next owner who had to diagnose an electrical issue!) Oh, and it was used in mail delivery service so it had right hand steering; resulted in moving all the pedals and steering column over to the left. I guess I was ahead of my time with the black front grille. All in all, a fantastic learning experience for an engineer wanna-be.

Drove it for a year then had to replace the clutch on December 31, 1972. Long story short...rolled it sideways off the lift from 7' in the air. Closest I ever came to getting killed, really! Destroyed the windshield and soft top, big dent in the hood, but other than that it was pretty much OK. (That was how my 1973 started.)

I love these damn things; some would say a character flaw for sure. Might want one instead of a coffin in another 20 years.

Jeep Wrangler JL Ghost of Jeeps Past 1966 CJ-6
Would love to have that mechanical knowledge. But even with my limited knowledge, that's what I liked about jeeps. Figuring things out was easy and everything was pretty accessible. On top of that, you can pretty much find anything jeep documented by someone online. Not so much back when you were doing all that work. Hats off to you!

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Nice Jeeps.

My first Jeep(Wrangler that is, I had an older Grand Cherokee and KK Liberty prior) was a 2014 JKU I bought brand new off the lot. I owned it for 5 years. My dream vehicle has always been a Jeep Wrangler but for one reason or another I never followed through on buying one. My brother ended up buying a 2014 Willy's Wheeler and I joined him on the trip to the dealer. Out of curiosity I test drove a Wrangler myself and that was all she wrote. I actually brought mine home a day before he did for some reason. He rode in a brand new Wrangler to pick up his.

I sold the JK to my dad for my trade in price in 2019 so it's not far away. She gave me 5 problem free years. Just last week my dad had to change the coolant sensor which is the first and only "blemish" it's had in almost 7 years now. The JL has been great but has big shoes to fill.

Jeep Wrangler JL Ghost of Jeeps Past 2014jee

Jeep Wrangler JL Ghost of Jeeps Past mojitofreshlywaxe2020

Last edited:
OP
OP
DamekDasterdly
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Nice Jeeps.

My first Jeep(Wrangler that is, I had an older Grand Cherokee and KK Liberty prior) was a 2014 JKU I bought brand new off the lot. I owned it for 5 years. My dream vehicle has always been a Jeep Wrangler but for one reason or another I never followed through on buying one. My brother ended up buying a 2014 Willy's Wheeler and I joined him on the trip to the dealer. Out of curiosity I test drove a Wrangler myself and that was all she wrote. I actually brought mine home a day before he did for some reason. He rode in a brand new Wrangler to pick up his.

I sold the JK to my dad for my trade in price in 2019 so it's not far away. She gave me 5 problem free free years. Just last week my dad had to change the coolant sensor which is the first and only "blemish" it's had in almost 7 years. The JL has been great but has big shoes to fill.

I'm not usually a fan of wheels with color but I think those look really good with just the subtle accents.
Sponsored