Sponsored

Getting Your Jeep from A to B (Without Driving)

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
Maybe a better alternative is arranging a jeep rental at your destination ahead of time....
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ismor

Ismor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Maybe a better alternative is arranging a jeep rental at your destination ahead of time....
I considered that! It would certainly be cheaper.

But when I read the fine print in the standard rental agreement, I found that offroading is expressly prohibited. If the rented jeep is damaged, I'll be responsible for thousands out of pocket.

MaineBumpkin

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU, 2021 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
Hello all, I was just about to post this same question and was very happy to see this info! It's really awesome to have such a great community!!

Slight hijack here just to share our situation ;) Next year my wife and I have 3 weeks for our 'Epic road trip' with our JLU/camper from Maine to overland in the Southwest. 3 weeks sounds like a lot but there is SOOOOO MUCH to see and do! When you add in a 4 day drive on each end it really limits our time 'in country' so we decided it would be best to ship the rigs back to Maine and fly home at the end.

I just requested a quote from DIY Transport but I think it's the same company as U Ship (screens look exactly the same). Likely going to be looking at close to 3.5k (Las Vegas to Maine) but it will be worth it!

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
look for shipping company with own truck/fleets, NOT brokers. such as reliable carriers, Intercity Lines, etc. They are expensive but will be on time.

OP
OP
Ismor

Ismor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Update on U-Ship

I’ve been in touch with U-Ship, which some of us recommended (@Chocolate Thunder @Redbaron73) and one had serious delay with (@dgoodhue ). I have a couple of tips to share:

• U-Ship is a “platform”, like eBay or Airbnb. They don’t operate trucks or drivers. They connect shippers and brokers. They also act as an escrow, which can give you some leverage if a shipment goes terribly wrong.
  • The Instant Rates (left side) aren’t guaranteed for pickup or delivery. There weren’t even the cheapest.
  • To negotiate guaranteed pickup or delivery dates, choose the Marketplace option (right side). I specified the pickup and delivery addresses and gave a range of about two weeks for pickup and two weeks for delivery.
  • I wrote “although the pickup date is flexible, once you pick up the vehicle, you must be ready to guarantee a delivery date”. I received a bunch of offers, some guaranteed and some just “we estimate”, “we expect”, or something fuzzy like that. The ones that were willing to guarantee a date wanted at least 50% premium on the shipment.
  • TD;LR: If you need a specific delivery date (or date range), you must receive a written guarantee from the provider - and be ready to pay extra for that. Depending on the value of your vacation days, this may or may not be a good investment.

Jeep Wrangler JL Getting Your Jeep from A to B (Without Driving) uShip screenshot

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ismor

Ismor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
look for shipping company with own truck/fleets
It'll be funny to have my rugged rig transported in a closed container like some beauty pageant winner, but I'll request some quotes and report back.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I work in transportation health and safety. It’s almost impossible to guarantee a definite delivery date and time on a shipment like this. There are too many factors that fall outside of the shipper’s control. Drivers are limited as to how many hours per day they may drive. They have no control over traffic, weather, accidents, construction delays, and other factors that may delay them. If delivery of another car in the shipment delays them for just a couple of hours, it can throw them off by an entire day. Multiply this by however many cars are on the transport scheduled to deliver before yours and it may be several days late.

coupedncal

First Name
CoupednCal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking at Jeeps
In order to ensure the jeep will land there on time, why not ship it ahead of time and have someone at the other side receive and store it? You could rent a storage on the phone and have them store the car for you until you get there. This is provided you can manage without your car before your trip.

Mcwilldo

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Sahara
Maybe you can have Jeep ship it. They hardly charge anything for shipping and know the exact time they are going to pick up and deliver a vehicle!

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
Maybe you can have Jeep ship it. They hardly charge anything for shipping and know the exact time they are going to pick up and deliver a vehicle!
Do you have details?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ismor

Ismor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Do you have more information?

OP
OP
Ismor

Ismor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
There are too many factors that fall outside of the shipper’s control.
I agree. But the same is true for civil aviation or ocean-going ships, yet passengers and shippers have some idea of when they'll take off and when they'll arrive. Imagine that your airline says: "The flight will happen sometime over the next five weeks. We'll give a you 24 hours in advance." :)

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I agree. But the same is true for civil aviation or ocean-going ships, yet passengers and shippers have some idea of when they'll take off and when they'll arrive. Imagine that your airline says: "The flight will happen sometime over the next five weeks. We'll give a you 24 hours in advance." :)
Hmm… the next time that I hear of a major ship collision on the high seas or mid air collision of planes causing bumper to bumper traffic for hours holding up ships and aircraft will be the first time. Road, sea, air, and rail logistics are apples and oranges logistically and can’t really be compared to one another directly.

For example, the unexpected fuel supply issues in the southeast right now that’s causing fuel outages has huge potential to hold up a road going shipment, possibly for days. I doubt any ships or planes will be delayed because of it. Possibly. But not nearly as likely. So they can tell you when you should expect a shipment to arrive. But if you just shipped from the east coast and the truck carrying your Jeep is sitting at a truck stop out of fuel, it won’t get there when it should.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
To add the what Choclate Thunder just brought up , look at hat the hacked pipeline issue has done to fuel supplies on the east coast. There are just too many variables to expect it to 100% be there on time.

Hell, I can’t even get contractors or service providers to show up when they say they will. And keep in mind, the lowest bid is likely to be the carrier that is not going to put a high priority on timeliness or care for your Jeep.

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Hmm… the next time that I hear of a major ship collision on the high seas or mid air collision of planes causing bumper to bumper traffic for hours holding up ships and aircraft will be the first time. Road, sea, air, and rail logistics are apples and oranges logistically and can’t really be compared to one another directly.

For example, the unexpected fuel supply issues in the southeast right now that’s causing fuel outages has huge potential to hold up a road going shipment, possibly for days. I doubt any ships or planes will be delayed because of it. Possibly. But not nearly as likely. So they can tell you when you should expect a shipment to arrive. But if you just shipped from the east coast and the truck carrying your Jeep is sitting at a truck stop out of fuel, it won’t get there when it should.

Not dragging you, but remember that the Suez Canal was pretty heavy in headlines just lately, and we aren't going to catch up for months yet.

A month detour in the jeep going around the Cape of Good Hope sounds pretty amazing though.
Sponsored