Sponsored

Getting warranty service at a different dealer than you purchased from

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
If this applies to you, how has your luck been getting warranty service from a different dealer than you purchased from?

My 3 local dealers couldn't (well wouldn't) come anywhere near Guptons deal.

Since I am located in a very small market and know all these people, I fear revenge in the form of refusing warranty service or the age old, 2-3 week delay while we service our buying customers bullying routine.

What has been your experience?

Way back when I bought my Mustang GT the local salesman arrogantly said "Where are you gonna get it serviced if you don't buy it here?" I said "Right here!" He said "Maybe. Maybe not"

If that happened today I'd just punch him in the face and walk out. Back then I was young and naive.

:)
Sponsored

PetePetePete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport (WTB)
My local dealer. If I felt that there was ANY game being played, I would open dialog with corporate and make sure the world knew about it.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
I've never had an issue getting warranty service from another dealer than I purchased from. Honda, Chevy, Toyota.... Never been a problem. I used to live in St. Petersburg and I'd go over to Tampa (more competition there) to buy but almost exclusively had warranty work done in St. Pete. I think dealerships like the revenue and whether it comes from your wallet or from the OEM it increases profitability.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I've dealt with over a dozen Jeep dealers over the years. They don't seem to be concerned at all about whether they sold the vehicle, or not. Also, dealers make most of their profit on parts/service - warranty repairs included. Finally, I suspect that department managers are judged by their department's profitability. Supporting a Sales Department "grudge" in the Service Department is counter-productive.

The sales guy is blowing sunshine.

Sponsored

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
In 2015 I bought a new Power Wagon. I inquired at my local dealer first. They didn't seem interested in helping much so I drove 6 hrs to Denver and bought one off the lot. A few months later two of the four shocks were leaking so I called the local dealer for warranty work. 2+ week wait for an appointment just to verify, then another appointment once the parts came in to get the work done. I live in a rural area as well and know local customers were getting much faster service than that.

Is what it is. Corporate won't do a darn thing about it, dealers are independent entities. Making a stink won't change a thing. they have to fix it but can do so on their schedule. If they are slow, you will probably get right in. If they are busy, you are risking being put to the end of the line.

I sucked it up on my wifes Jeep and bought local for this exact reason. I paid a little more but they have done well by me thus far.

I just ordered a new truck as well. This time just 90 minutes from home in Grand Junction where we go pretty often anyway. I bailed on the two closer dealers over a $500 savings this time but it isn't big hardship to run it up there if I need to.

Good Luck deciding on that balance.

CWRUYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
I've never had a problem with getting warranty service at a different dealership than where I purchased. For me, it's been a combination of buying out of the area, then getting service locally (no hassles) and moving out of the area and getting service in my new location (also no problem).

Although dealerships are independent, FCA service is nationwide. It wouldn't make business sense to treat a potential new customer poorly.

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
I bought a few hours away and used my local dealership for warranty work with no issues. Never even see anyone in sales when I would go in as service is a separate entity. However, with my newest Jeep I found that the local dodge and ram dealer is Jeep certified. So now I go there and have been getting even better service!

xylodan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm guessing the dealers make a lot of money from warranty work, regardless of whether they sold you the vehicle or not. I was under the assumption that they bill FCA for the work done.

Chazdog

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Honda Pilot for now
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm guessing the dealers make a lot of money from warranty work, regardless of whether they sold you the vehicle or not. I was under the assumption that they bill FCA for the work done.
Your assumption is correct however what folks here are saying is that you, a non-buyer at their dealership, might be less of a priority in terms of scheduling and ease of the transaction. A more positive spin would be that they prioritize their customers who bought from them, thus bumping others farther down the line service wise.

Sponsored

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
There is a very large publicly traded company in Canada that owns a significant number of dealers. This means, as a public company, you can find out a lot of interesting financial tidbits, including where much of their profits come from. Suffice to say, servicing vehicles offers a much better margin than selling them, so I think most dealers would not have an issue taking on new vehicles.

OP
OP
LuvHydro

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
Thanks everyone. From watching a lot of former salesman videos, they all claim the money is made in F&I and Service, not on the sale of new vehicles.

From what I understand, the service departments luv warranty work. They can perform many services much faster than book times and the manufacturer pays in a timely fashion.

I totally understand the selling dealer would most likely fight more for me when needed and honestly, I'm OK being of a (slightly) lesser priority than someone who purchased their vehicle at the selling dealership.

I choose to buy outside the local market because it pisses me off there was a 10% price difference. I gave all of them numerous chances to come close to Guptons deal and no one was interested. Had they been, I probably would have purchased locally.

That and it was very refreshing to not have to do the tennis match back and forth just to get a fair deal. I like the way Daniel does business, assuming the rest of the transaction goes as smoothly as the ordering process. 🙂

BrooksC

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S 2D, 2020 Gladiator Max Tow
I wondered this too, so I just asked. Service manager at my local dealer said he doesn't buy his cars there either, so who cares. Loved that answer. It's one of those "promotion" dealers with high prices and mandatory "free" lifetime warranties where they sell to the poor and the ill informed. I talked to them on all 3 of my recent Jeeps since I'm in a small town and you never know what might have changed every few years. So far, nothing. Good service department though.

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
Warranty service is not dealer specific. You can go to any dealer you want to get warranty work done.
Sponsored