Getting transaxle ready for flat tow

DoubleD So Cal

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
Any tips on putting the transaxle in neutral with an automatic transmission when getting ready to flat tow? I have followed the owners manual to a “T” and have to really struggle with moving the transfer case shifter into neutral and then when done moving it back to 2H. The manual calls for the trany to be in neutral, turn the engine off, then shift the transfer case in neutral. The challenge is moving the transaxle lever to neutral without a lot of muscle and a lot of effort. It’s even harder to move the transfer case lever back to 2H from neutral when you are done towing. Are there any tricks to this as it doesn’t seem you should have to struggle so much with the transfer case lever.
Sponsored

areuriding

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon XR
What would happen if you moved it to neutral with it running and then shut it off? I wouldn't think it would hurt anything to try it that way.

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
I have no knowledge of towing. I have driven off road.

When changing from 4H to 4Lo you have to go through neutral. And you have to be moving at 3kph to 5kph at the time. Which means you are not stationary.

OP
OP

DoubleD So Cal

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
I think you pinpointed one of the issues and that is I am totally stationary when I am doing this so I am sure it is easier when moving slightly. When I tried this with the engine running I heard a little grinding so I didn’t like that

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
After you shut off the engine with the transmission in neutral, make sure that the parking brake is off, and your foot is not on the brake.

if you still have trouble try rocking a little.

also, if this is your first time, it can be stiff, it gets better with use & practice. Mine was really tough the first couple times, and better after that.

Donkey Fluffer

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
Terminex speaks truth. I've towed Wranglers, and now a Gladiator, behind motorhomes for years. For some reason the JL/JT are harder to operate until "broken in." Eventually they smooth out.
Sponsored