Sponsored

Getting towed to dealer. Got warning "Service Transmission Continue in D. Do Not Shift or Turn Engine Off"

bikeindirt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
2021 JLURD 3100 miles...

got this warning
"Service Transmission Continue in D. Do Not Shift or Turn Engine Off"

A steady check engine light...some chimes and the Jeep would not go over 35(limp mode) all the temps seem fine. On the "offroad page" it showed trans temp @401 deg (no way that's right).

Drove ~2 miles home, and promptly turned off the engine,,, now it wont start or "turn off". The engine is not running but the computer/hvac/radio is clearly on...

disconnected the battery.. car still "on"... LOL

loaded on tow truck and off to the dealer.

Feels like a sensor? or at least something computer controlled... any ideas?
Sponsored

JeepVT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
As I wait for my JLURD to be delivered, I can't wait for the outcome of this. Sorry you had bad luck

OP
OP
bikeindirt

bikeindirt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
I will say, it is super fun,,, love the Jeep,, happy we did the diesel... assuming we get it back working...

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JLU Willys
Same thing happened to me. They replaced valve body, did not fix. They sent me home 2 other times with “reset” and new battery since it would not turn off and killed the battery. No fix. 4th time towed to the dealership and they said wiring harness. They bought it back before I know if that did fix it. Loved Jeep so much bought another one lol. Good luck. Seems to me it is an electrical issue of some kind. Last tech said when he wiggled the transmission wiring harness it would work...

Sponsored

JohnT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
4-minutemiles.weebly.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-door
2021 JLURD 3100 miles...

got this warning
"Service Transmission Continue in D. Do Not Shift or Turn Engine Off"

A steady check engine light...some chimes and the Jeep would not go over 35(limp mode) all the temps seem fine. On the "offroad page" it showed trans temp @401 deg (no way that's right).

Drove ~2 miles home, and promptly turned off the engine,,, now it wont start or "turn off". The engine is not running but the computer/hvac/radio is clearly on...

disconnected the battery.. car still "on"... LOL

loaded on tow truck and off to the dealer.

Feels like a sensor? or at least something computer controlled... any ideas?
oh wow... that message almost sounds like a virus. Did it demand bitcoin? (sorry - I know it's serious just the message sounds bizarre)

OP
OP
bikeindirt

bikeindirt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
first off,,, yes, it's serious, $60k for 3k miles is not what I signed up for.

But at the same time,,, it's a object,, a jeep,,, the humans are fine... In those 3k miles, more than a handful of times we been well outside (>20miles) of cell service,,, by ourselves,,,, sometimes in the snow,,,,(i don't need a lecture, I get it)

So to have this happen ~2 miles from the house on a sunny day... feel pretty good about that part....

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
Let us know what happened after you turned the engine off. WTF kinda warning is that.lol

OP
OP
bikeindirt

bikeindirt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
So just to put everything out there,,, @8:15pm last night I got an email from "jeep service",,,

" Your 2021 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited has detected issues that require your attention. "

my assumption is this is a OTA data dump, and FCA send these out like if you had a low tire...so I laughed,,, my wife not so much.

anyway here is the body of the email,,,

VHR_warning_Transparent.png
Engine and Transmission System​
VHR_suggestion_red.png
VHR_etc.png
Electronic Throttle Control​
Your vehicle's Electronic Throttle Control Warning Light recently indicated a problem. If the light is on when the engine is running, be sure to schedule a service appointment at your dealer. If the light is flashing while the engine is running, your engine could stall and your vehicle may require towing to your dealership to be serviced immediately.​
VHR_suggestion_yellow.png
VHR_mil.png
Malfunction Indicator Light​
Your vehicle's Malfunction Indicator Light recently indicated your vehicle needs service.
WARNING: Prolonged driving with the Malfunction Indicator Light on could cause damage to the engine control system. If the Malfunction Indicator Light is flashing, severe catalytic converter damage and power loss will soon occur. Have your vehicle serviced at your dealership immediately.​
VHR_suggestion_Transparent.png
Safety​
VHR_suggestion_yellow.png
VHR_blindspot.png
Blind Spot Monitoring System​
Your vehicle's Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM) Warning Message has recently been displayed in your vehicle. Your BSM system is inoperable or limited. Clean the sensors on the rear fascia, or bring your vehicle into your dealer for service.​

they recommended taking it to the dealer... LOL

anyway,,, the interesting one (to me) is the "throttle control" wondering if a fault in that system would freak the transmission computer out?

whiskey jack

First Name
marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jl
My daughter's jeep did something similar. Ended up being the transmission control module, which was inside the transmission. Once the part arrived, one day fix, plus new tranny fluid 🙂. It was under warranty.

Sponsored

OP
OP
bikeindirt

bikeindirt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
Thanks for the info,,, I hope mine is that simple,,, how long did you wait for the part?

And to keep this thread updated,,,
Just got off the phone with the service writer,,,
They have not looked at the Jeep yet,,, to be honest I am little frustrated about that @JeepCares. The "good" news, I can go pick up a loaner tomorrow,,, "smaller jeep product" wife is not going to like driving that,,,

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Same thing happened to me. They replaced valve body, did not fix. They sent me home 2 other times with “reset” and new battery since it would not turn off and killed the battery. No fix. 4th time towed to the dealership and they said wiring harness. They bought it back before I know if that did fix it. Loved Jeep so much bought another one lol. Good luck. Seems to me it is an electrical issue of some kind. Last tech said when he wiggled the transmission wiring harness it would work...
If you experience any concerns with your Jeep in the future, please feel free to reach out to our team for support through private messages.

Thanks for the info,,, I hope mine is that simple,,, how long did you wait for the part?

And to keep this thread updated,,,
Just got off the phone with the service writer,,,
They have not looked at the Jeep yet,,, to be honest I am little frustrated about that @JeepCares. The "good" news, I can go pick up a loaner tomorrow,,, "smaller jeep product" wife is not going to like driving that,,,
Hi @bikeindirt,

We understand how frustrated you must be! Please send us a message with your VIN and dealer so that we can set up a case for additional assistance while in service.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

OP
OP
bikeindirt

bikeindirt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
todays update,,,
Dealer had a loner ready this morning, a Cherokee, seems OK for a $30k car,,, not excited to be driving this...

Saw my JLURD sitting off to the side in the service area, looks like it has not been touched since it came off the flatbed 3 days ago,,,

OP
OP
bikeindirt

bikeindirt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
Update,,
So we moved the JLURD to a different dealer.

The lack of a timeline was frustrating. Most of the time I heard "as soon as we can", "w/covid we are short staffed", "even our long term customers have to wait"... the last one was a winner....

Closest, I got to "info" was Thursday morning "there are 2 cars ahead of yours"... so today (Saturday) we had it towed to a different dealership...

Before we did that we called around every dealer said they could have a tech looks at Jeep on the first day... tow truck dropped it mid-day Saturday. I will be happy with info on Monday....
Sponsored