First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
hi everyone

Sorry for the dumb question.

I know I saw a post or video somewhere but how do I get from the inside of my cabin to the fusebox in engine bay? Trying to wire radar detector. I thought there as an access grommet.

Thanks

Alex
Sponsored

EZMFE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
hi everyone

Sorry for the dumb question.

I know I saw a post or video somewhere but how do I get from the inside of my cabin to the fusebox in engine bay? Trying to wire radar detector. I thought there as an access grommet.

Thanks

Alex
Through the clutch cable hole in the firewall if you have an auto. It is up under the dash on the drivers side. Just grab a flashlight and look way up there on the left of your pedals but a little farther up. It'll be a black circle. You take it out from the engine compartment so once located from the inside, open the hood and take it off from the engine compartment. If popped out the other way, you could easily loose it. Ask me how I know :facepalm:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
There is a high grommet in passenger side. Remove passenger front inner fender well
Sorry, but no way would I recommend a guy (a novice especially) to "remove the front passenger inner fender liner". Do this and he'd be having to spend lots of $ for rivets, a rivet tool, etc.. A lot of stress, work and more.

IF you needed access to that area the whole JL flare pops right off, fairly easily. No need at all to break rivets and remove the fender liner.

Anyway, in regard to installing a radar detector, no way would I say pull a fender liner or remove a flare. Overkill at best..

@Blu bi Kong
Research how to remove the JL fender flare. You will be surprised how easily it comes off. No clips to be broken, etc..

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@alrola

No way, with a JL, would I bother to go to the power distribution center in the engine compartment to access a fuse to power up a radar detector.

With a radar detector, I would want a ignition switched 12v power source. A source that plays well with the CANbus system. Note: If your JL has Aux switches you have an easily avail. switched acc. wire already.

With such a power source, the radar detection would come right on when you started the JL and turned off when you turn off the JL.

There are such sources right in the cab of the JL but what I recommend you do, is to just buy one of these.

This goodie is very very easy to install. No headaches going through fire wall grommets, etc. This goodie is plug and play!

https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/12-volt-power-adapter-jeep-wrangler-jl

@Quadratec is a forum sponsor... Thanks for that Quadratec!
Quadratec-JL-APT-12-Volt-Power-Adapter-Jeep-Wrangler-JL_0.jpg

Sponsored

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
You don't have to remove the whole fender well. just the one bottom screw then pull it back a little and there is plenty of room to work from underneath, and disconnect the plug attached just inside to gain more working space.
That's how I did mine, now reaching up is a little more difficult, but I had enough of a coat hanger wire to fish it down far enough to grab with my hand.

Edit: come to think of it, I am not sure I even unscrewed anything (That was the LED turn signal install), just kind of peeled it back from the inside.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Sorry, but no way would I recommend a guy (a novice especially) to "remove the front passenger inner fender liner". Do this and he'd be having to spend lots of $ for rivets, a rivet tool, etc.. A lot of stress, work and more.

IF you needed access to that area the whole JL flare pops right off, fairly easily. No need at all to break rivets and remove the fender liner.

Anyway, in regard to installing a radar detector, no way would I say pull a fender liner or remove a flare. Overkill at best..

@Blu bi Kong
Research how to remove the JL fender flare. You will be surprised how easily it comes off. No clips to be broken, etc..

Fair enough, go with that plan

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
I use one of these in my current car, but for the JL I'm probably going to get a fuse tap like Rhinebeck suggested since I want to power a dash cam as well.

1.jpg

Sponsored

Quadratec

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.quadratec.com
Vehicle(s)
CJ, YJ, XJ, TJ, JK, JL
@alrola

No way, with a JL, would I bother to go to the power distribution center in the engine compartment to access a fuse to power up a radar detector.

With a radar detector, I would want a ignition switched 12v power source. A source that plays well with the CANbus system. Note: If your JL has Aux switches you have an easily avail. switched acc. wire already.

With such a power source, the radar detection would come right on when you started the JL and turned off when you turn off the JL.

There are such sources right in the cab of the JL but what I recommend you do, is to just buy one of these.

This goodie is very very easy to install. No headaches going through fire wall grommets, etc. This goodie is plug and play!

https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/12-volt-power-adapter-jeep-wrangler-jl

@Quadratec is a forum sponsor... Thanks for that Quadratec!
Quadratec-JL-APT-12-Volt-Power-Adapter-Jeep-Wrangler-JL_0.jpg
Thanks for the recommendations - we really appreciate it!

-Rick

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@InvertedLogic

IF you want an in front of cab, 12v power source that is always ON (not ignition switched) for that dash cam of yours, you might want to consider the JL PowerPort Kit, made available by Cool Tech, LLC, a forum sponsor.

"This is a kit that takes less than 5 minutes to install and converts the cigarette lighter in the front of the Jeep to be powered on even when the Jeep is off." Cost is $24.95

@CoolTech is a forum sponsor... Thanks for that, Kendall at Cool Tech, LLC

Read about/buy here:
https://www.cooltechllc.com/2018-jeep-wrangler-jl/111-jl-powerport-kit.html

OP
OP
alrola

alrola

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Thank you all for your answers.
The Aux seems a good idea but won’t I have to turn it on all the time to power it or can it be programmed ?
Easy or not I’m not taking fenders off... too scared for that.
I do remember seeing a video or post of someone going from the cabin to engine bay and doing a fuse tap.
I thought it would be next to the trim panel on side of dash but nope.
I’ll keep looking but for not the six idea seems cool. Don’t understand the wire from quadratec though....

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@alrola

Do you have Aux switches in your JL ? If so you have an ignition wire, direct to battery 12v wire and 4 switched wires in the cab of your JL.

If so, watch this video and you will see info on how to program your Aux Switch(s) if you chose to use:

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

@Blu bi Kong
I pulled off my fender flare based on a video I saw and I still broke two clips. :(
Fortunately they are inexpensive so I bought a couple packs of them. The dealership had them for me by the next day.
Sponsored