Getting rid of the old vehicle

Doug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 69 firebird convertible
How does everyone plan on getting rid of their old vehicle to make room for their new JL? Trading it in is basically a waste of money although extremely convenient, and selling privately is more lucrative but comes with its own issues. I posted my truck on Craigslist today and had scammers try the whole google VOIP thing within five minutes. As for the dealership they offered $5000 on the vehicle im seeing for $11-$12 everywhere. What is everyone doing, and what is the best way you have found to sell a used car or truck lately?
Sponsored

Tykoehn1

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUR
My dealer offered me 31k for my JKUR. I bought it for 35.5k almost 3 years ago (not including tax, dealer fees, etc). I always sell my old vehicles private but I couldn't pass that deal up. The tax savings make it worth it for me in this scenario. I think I would have a hard time selling it for much more on the private market.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
doug what year is your rig and how is it set up? Mine is 2008 with a 170k an dthe dealer said they woul just wholesale it. that doesn't sound good.

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR
Yeah! A 2018 Manual Trans Tacoma TRD Pro. Anyone want it? Dealer made a pretty sweet offer, but I know I could sell if I wanted to.

OP
OP

Doug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
doug what year is your rig and how is it set up? Mine is 2008 with a 170k an dthe dealer said they woul just wholesale it. that doesn't sound good.
It’s an old 2005 Chevy avalanche, but it’s in great shape and has low miles. I don’t really care how much I get for it, but I just don’t want to leave money on the table since that my upgrade fund. It’s been so long since I’ve had to sell one I didn’t know the best way to do it. I’ve already had one scam job and want to avoid another. It’s probably another 3-4 weeks before my rubi shows up so I have time.

Sponsored

jaldeborgh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 400, 1949 Triumph 2000 (under restoration), 2004 Ducati Monster S4R, 2003 BMW K1200RS, and 4 Vespa scooters.
Occupation
Semiconductor Capital Equipment Sales Executive
I’ve bought and sold a number of cars on eBay with mostly good results. You are appealing to a national audience so this sometimes makes the transaction a little more complicated than a local sale but still manageable, IMHO.

wesbowhunts

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
It’s an old 2005 Chevy avalanche, but it’s in great shape and has low miles. I don’t really care how much I get for it, but I just don’t want to leave money on the table since that my upgrade fund. It’s been so long since I’ve had to sell one I didn’t know the best way to do it. I’ve already had one scam job and want to avoid another. It’s probably another 3-4 weeks before my rubi shows up so I have time.
take it to carmax. they will give you the higher of their value or the kbb instant offer value. they came in $1500 higher than my dealer did. ended up getting the dealer to come up about half way and still traded it for the tax savings.

OP
OP

Doug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
take it to carmax. they will give you the higher of their value or the kbb instant offer value. they came in $1500 higher than my dealer did. ended up getting the dealer to come up about half way and still traded it for the tax savings.
I was planning on doing that tomorrow morning. Thank you.

JLWF Dealer Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Occupation
Jeep Dealer / Singer of Sentimental Ballads
Anything close to 10 years d and 100k miles is a wholesale piece. The reason is that banks don’t generally finance anything in those ranges. So, even if it’s top notch, the dealership makes its money on finance and it rules those vehicles out.

OP
OP

Doug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anything close to 10 years d and 100k miles is a wholesale piece. The reason is that banks don’t generally finance anything in those ranges. So, even if it’s top notch, the dealership makes its money on finance and it rules those vehicles out.
That makes total sense. I will try carmax and then just play the private seller route.

Sponsored

brantb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ram 1500, charger daytona 392
I plan on trading a 17 392 charger daytona. I didn't get the best trade quote, but will also save over 3k in taxes. Maybe I will go to a car max and see what they can do.

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Think it all depends on what you have and who you can deal with.

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I'd use carmax as a backup (they seem to hit REALLY low), negotiate with a dealer for trade value if you special order and let them know you may still sell/keep it. Then try private sale.

I'd assume most dealers will want the new car sale, thus let you take or leave the trade...

Ralph2018JL

First Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How does everyone plan on getting rid of their old vehicle to make room for their new JL? Trading it in is basically a waste of money although extremely convenient, and selling privately is more lucrative but comes with its own issues. I posted my truck on Craigslist today and had scammers try the whole google VOIP thing within five minutes. As for the dealership they offered $5000 on the vehicle im seeing for $11-$12 everywhere. What is everyone doing, and what is the best way you have found to sell a used car or truck lately?
I'm selling mine outright on Facebook marketplace, and I'll probably put it on Craigslist also. Didn't even try trading it, since it's a 1996 Cherokee.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
so will carmax take a 10 year vehicle with 170 K on it?
Sponsored