Getting rid of that moth ball smell

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
A couple weeks ago we had put a bag of moth balls in a large garbage bag to haul to the dump and somehow one fell out. At first we thought we just needed to air out the Jeep but the smell continued and today we did a clean out of the cabin and found it underneath the rear seats. Went to the car wash and used their vacuums to clean out the inside but even though it's all gone the smell persists.

What's best way to get rid of this damn smell? Thinking of having it detailed and the entire carpet inside the cabin and trunk shampooed, but thinking if that is not enough, maybe it's best to just have the carpet inside the cabin replaced?

My in law said it's nearly impossible to get rid of this smell.
Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe there’s another one left somewhere in the jeep that you haven’t found. It’s possible that one slid under the carpet or something.

Sounds like you have a good plan though, I would definitely try that and mention the smell to the detailer. I personally wouldn’t spend the money to replace carpet or anything like that... eventually it’ll go away on its own. Also remember that the carpets in a jeep can be relatively easily removed.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Your in-law is correct, unfortunately.

I would try an ozone machine if you have access to one or want to buy one.

I bought this years ago when my wife left a gallon of milk in her car. It was summer, and the rancid milk split the jug and it emptied into the carpet. Good times. It took shampooing a d several ozone treatments, but eventually we got the smell out.

Enerzen Commercial Ozone Generator 4500mg Industrial O3 Air Purifier Deodorizer Sterilizer (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JAP7388/

http://digital.bnpmedia.com/publication/?i=94227&article_id=928818&view=articleBrowser&ver=html5

Sponsored

OP
OP
CT_LFC

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
You might want to try this or wipe the area with white vinegar.
https://www.amazon.com/SMELLEZE-Natural-Smell-Remover-Deodorizer/dp/B004SBLL2I

Because i don't know what exactly the area "is", is that i am thinking of having the whole interior shampooed.

I'll also call dealer tomorrow and see if they do detailing. Thinking it would be best to have rear seats removed so the entire carpet is easily accessible to shampoo and check underneath for remaining mothballs.

A 3rd party detailer may not be willing, or know how to, properly remove rear seats.

OP
OP
CT_LFC

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR

Big Hoss

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLU
Yes. Close the doors and windows. Shake it up, then hit the button on top and let it do it's thing. After sitting for an hour you should be good.

Zotch

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Sport S JL
"THE BEAST"

Don't worry. Seinfeld couldn't get rid of it either.

Sponsored

DanFelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Go to a pet store and get a product used to remove pet urine odor. It might take a few attempts but it can be done. Moth balls turn to gas and that is why they permeate everything.

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
Take the top and doors off. Voila! No more smell.

OP
OP
CT_LFC

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
Go to a pet store and get a product used to remove pet urine odor. It might take a few attempts but it can be done. Moth balls turn to gas and that is why they permeate everything.
Makes sense as to why after having the interior carpets shampooed the car still smells (though not as bad), because its probably also in the leather seats. %&# this is annoying.

I had tought of changing the carpets but if it permeated into the leather seats as well then there's no point.

At this point i think i'm going to try an odor bomb.

DanFelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Heat, as in a hot day and not a heater, and UV will expedite the gas decay.

LastMango

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon (replaced 2018 JLU Sport S)
A couple weeks ago we had put a bag of moth balls in a large garbage bag to haul to the dump and somehow one fell out. At first we thought we just needed to air out the Jeep but the smell continued and today we did a clean out of the cabin and found it underneath the rear seats. Went to the car wash and used their vacuums to clean out the inside but even though it's all gone the smell persists.

What's best way to get rid of this damn smell? Thinking of having it detailed and the entire carpet inside the cabin and trunk shampooed, but thinking if that is not enough, maybe it's best to just have the carpet inside the cabin replaced?

Lay a fresh filet of trout over the area. Simply remove the filet in 3 weeks, and boom! No more moth ball smell. Trust me, it works.

/s
Sponsored