Sponsored

Getting ready to order questions- color, options, aftermarket support?

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
First time poster, long time lurker/ Jeep guy.

The time has come to start acting on my decision/ planning process for my next vehicle to replace my current daily driven 2004 Rubicon (more on that later). I love it, but it's getting old, and with a growing family (Wife + Son, possibly one more child in the future) it's getting a bit cramped. Naturally, I've started looking at JLU Rubi's. So, I have some questions that I wasn't able to find solid answers to via the search function. Also, some things I'd like to hear from the perspective of others, including people who have had actual seat time and trail time with JLUR's.

Ordering:
Walk me through the ordering process. I just built one on Jeep.com, what do I do now? I've never ordered a vehicle in my life. I've always been a big proponent of buying slightly used, but given the combo I want is nearly impossible to find (Orange, Dual tops, Rubicon, Manual Trans- 8 in the USA according to Autotrader search), I'm probably going to have to order. If I'm paying, I don't want to settle for a color or options I don't want (unless I'm getting a substantial deal).

How much lead time should I allow if I order? I've been hearing horror stories of long waits. My target date for first payment/ delivery would probably be some time after October 2018.

Are there any option groups I should avoid when ordering to avoid a long delay?

Does anyone know the cutoff for color options? I have 3 choices, but would still want to make sure I get the color I want before Jeep unceremoniously ends this run of obnoxious colors I have always loved.

Technical:
Curiosity: What is the curb weight of the JLU Rubi?

Does anyone know the Bolt pattern?

Do JL Rubi's come with OEM skidplates? I read somewhere they were going to but can't find any info or pics other than rock rails and a mention of a gas tank skid.

Does anyone have the Trail rail gear tie down system? Thoughts? I would be using that and some other additions to tie down my tools/ Hi-Lift jack for safety on the trail and when daily driving.

JL Lockers are electronically actuated, right?

Has anyone had any issues with the JL Rubi lockers? I only ask because the OEM TJ Air lockers are kind of garbage and you can't get a direct replacement for them anymore- so that means going to ARB or something else which will require some modification and money.

Is the Mopar steel bumper set up to accept a Winch, or would I need additional stuff?

I read somewhere some of the late JK model parts (bumpers, seat covers, etc) would fit with slight modification. is that true?

Aftermarket:
A few questions on Aftermarket support:
Are there any JL Bumpers on the market? What is the average price? I was considering the Mopar Steel bumpers because I do like the look and utility but for almost $1300 I wonder if there are better options out there.

Dual tops: I could save some cash on that option if I could buy an aftermarket soft top. My trektop for my TJ cost ~$800, Even if it is a little more expensive, I could save money over the almost $2200 listed for dual tops. Does anyone know if they will have aftermarket tops available in 2019?

Are there currently any overhead CB mounts for the JL?

Backstory:
My daily use cases for my Rubi have changed drastically in recent years. I need something that is fairly reliable and more livable with a wife and a 1 year old, but that I can take on the trail as well. I do a fair amount of off roading, and while it isn't as much as I'd like these days, it's still more than your average casual Jeep owner. Likewise, I've done my fair share of difficult, technical trails here in the northeast and I would like a vehicle that I can keep going to and conquering my favorite wheeling spots. Initial build plan is for a winch, and that's pretty much it- maybe an aftermarket tire carrier. After a few years and a little research I'm aiming to go 37's and a lift. After buying my TJ Rubi, I will never buy another non-Rubi Jeep again unless I'm going into a stupid build (40" tires, 1 tons, etc). The Rubi is the perfect dual sport rig for my use case- a rig i can take on a hardcore trail, and still load up my family and take them to beach vacations (Cape Cod), camping, snowboarding, and just general road tripping as well as commuting to work and hauling my guitar rig. I wasn't a fan of the JK models, their styling always seemed just a little off and the various quirks were... troublesome to say the least. In my research on the JLU, it seems Jeep absolutely nailed it- stylistically, mechanically, etc. The dyanmic will change a little for me, as I'm probably going to use my Rubi as trade-in and take a step back from some of the difficult and technical wheeling I've been doing- which is fine for now. As I'll be trading in, this will be a bit of an all in move for me and i am curious as to how the JLU performs on both the highway, and the trail.
Sponsored