Getting over all of the $$$

CheapWrangler

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Grand Caravan
I've never owned a Wrangler. Always have wanted one, and there's a few things to me that I want. Automatic, cold weather group (I'm in Chicago), and at least the 7" touchscreen. With everything I've seen it looks like I'll be looking at $37k before I add tax/title, etc which is going to be roughly $4500.

Now I'm not rich by any stretch, but am in a household where we could afford a $500 payment.

That's with me putting down like $10k (no trade in as the wife and i have been rolling with one vehicle).

How do you all make a purchase like this and just keep rolling? I fear that I will buy it and rather than enjoy the Jeep I will just stress over the money side of it.
Sponsored

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I would say first and foremost, if you are already stressing about the money and payment, don't buy it. You really don't want that regret.

However, the absolute joy of a wrangler will definitely get rid of some of that stress. They are far and away the most fun, interesting vehicles on the planet.

If you are even 51% thinking you should just go for it..... I would personally do it. Then you can tell your wife it was the forums fault :rock:

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
It's an easy decision... Go for it! You'd be buying one of the best models produced to date. This is my 4th Wrangler, 5th Jeep. There's just nothing like it, and it's the best bang for the buck convertible/all-terain vehicle you can buy. If you end up not liking it, selling it shouldn't be much of a problem. Though I'm pretty sure we'll see your "should I buy it woes" turn into "what's my next upgrade" woes. First world problems!

stuckinohio

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S 4 Door
The initial purchase is only the beginning..... I can't stop ordering stuff! Be prepared to buy accessories left and right. I did feel some financial guilt because the vehicle this is replacing was paid off, but I got over it!

Something to think about:
I got a similar JL to what you are describing. At a minimum, I wish I would have gotten the dual top group, that's for sure. Since I didn't, I'm jumping through hoops to get and modify a JK bikini for some sort of rain protection.

I Really wish I would have gotten the proximity keyless instead of the baseline keyless start. Very frustrating if coming from vehicles with true keyless.

Sponsored

MeanPeachMojito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester, 2019 JLU Sport S
I've never owned a Wrangler. Always have wanted one, and there's a few things to me that I want. Automatic, cold weather group (I'm in Chicago), and at least the 7" touchscreen. With everything I've seen it looks like I'll be looking at $37k before I add tax/title, etc which is going to be roughly $4500.

Now I'm not rich by any stretch, but am in a household where we could afford a $500 payment.

That's with me putting down like $10k (no trade in as the wife and i have been rolling with one vehicle).

How do you all make a purchase like this and just keep rolling? I fear that I will buy it and rather than enjoy the Jeep I will just stress over the money side of it.
I am right there with you! I'm in the final stages of lease or buy, having surpassed the "holy s#!t these things are expensive" phase. Here are a couple things I'm thinking about:

I'm 40, no kids. Classic penny saver. I'm very active and into hiking/camping. Recently lost a couple friends and family members of various ages. Life is short. Wranglers look like a crap load of fun! Everyone I know who owns one, cannot shut up about them. I've done the math on a lease, and understand that it's essentially renting a car long term. In the end it would be about $4500/year spent on enjoying my ride. I'd probably find a way to spend that on a vacation anyway.

Then the more I think about it, since they hold so much value, if I decided 3-4 years of ownership is enough, I can sell it at a decent enough price to justify buying it, customizing it, and not worrying about going over the mileage. The problem is coughing up my down payment. I have a small trade-in, but even still... I'm like you, thinking about $10k down. So in the end, yes it's a car payment that could easily be two boring cars in your driveway vs one really awesome Wrangler.

Enjoy the ride.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)

I don't know if I'd buy something if I felt stressed about the cost going into it? On the bright side… Join Tread Lightly for the 1%-under invoice if your employers are not on the list. Cost $100 and it's for a good cause. You have to be a member for 30 days before qualifying. Dealers are discounting 6%-6.5% under invoice at some dealers with the Tread Lightly voucher number. Tyson in Shorewood IL comes to mind, think someone said they are about 6% below invoice? Double check. Maybe try buying outside of Chicago and Cook county to save a little on sales tax. Plus I would shop around for loan rates if you are financing. I think banks are around 3.9% so a credit union is probably a better choice. I think you should be able to get around 2%-2.5% through a credit union if you have top tier credit and use direct pay or something. There is $250 you can get back if you qualify for a Bonus Drive promo. Good Luck.

Last edited:

CarterRuss

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 07 RS4
For me it's getting over the fact that it's not a performance car lol Coming from a Porsche, Mustang GT and RS4 I am not sold that I will be happy with the lack of speed. I like my lead foot. Seems like these hold their value so I would think you should not be too word about the financial side if you get a good deal.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
I don't know if I'd buy something if I felt stressed about the cost going into it? On the bright side… Joint Tread Lightly for the 1%-under invoice if your employers are not on the list. Cost $100 and it's for a good cause. You have to be a member for 30 days before qualifying. Dealers are discounting 6%-6.5% under invoice at some dealers with the Tread Lightly voucher number. Tyson in Shorewood IL comes to mind, think someone said they are about 6% below invoice? Double check. Definitely buy outside of Chicago city limits to save a few percent on sales tax. Plus I would shop around for loan rates if you are financing. I think banks are around 3.9% so a credit union is probably a better choice. I think you should be able to get around 2%-2.5% through a credit union if you have top tier credit and use direct pay or something. There is $250 you can get back if you qualify for a Bonus Drive promo. Good Luck.
Sales tax for vehicles in Illinois isn't based upon where you buy it but the address to which it is registered. If you live in Chicago buying it in, say, Moline isn't going to save any tax.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For me it's getting over the fact that it's not a performance car lol Coming from a Porsche, Mustang GT and RS4 I am not sold that I will be happy with the lack of speed. I like my lead foot. Seems like these hold their value so I would think you should not be too word about the financial side if you get a good deal.
I have owned Corvettes, 911s, Cayman S, S4, Miata, Mini, M3, 370Z, BRZ, WRX and a few others. I have also owned a TJ and JK. I have always had a sports car with the Wranglers though. All were really fun in their own way. Friends always ask which was my favorite car. The TJ and JK are definitely in my top 5 for fun cars. The TJ was by far the most unreliable car I have owned but it was one of the most fun. lol. Resale is exceptional on Wranglers. It's a wash though... you spend in gas what you save in depreciation. lol.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
I'm not going to lie, this thing is expensive.

Would I do it again? Hell yes.

After a bit of tooling around you will agree. I've no doubt.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last edited:

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Lots of owners with deep pockets on this forum. Also statistics show the median income for people who buy the Wrangler is over $100k annually. So depending on what other bills/debt everyone has will determine if they can afford to buy.

Also, it doesn’t stop with just the purchase. You’ll get the bug to upgrade pretty quick.

Right now you say you and wife are rolling with one car so is the second vehicle needed or just wanted. How will adding this monthly payment plus insurance and gas impact your budget and overall financial goals. Is this something you need now.

All good things to think about.

OP
OP

CheapWrangler

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Grand Caravan
Lots of owners with deep pockets on this forum. Also statistics show the median income for people who buy the Wrangler is over $100k annually. So depending on what other bills/debt everyone has will determine if they can afford to buy.

Also, it doesn’t stop with just the purchase. You’ll get the bug to upgrade pretty quick.

Right now you say you and wife are rolling with one car so is the second vehicle needed or just wanted. How will adding this monthly payment plus insurance and gas impact your budget and overall financial goals. Is this something you need now.

All good things to think about.
Solid post, and interesting. Where did you pull the stat around median income for Wrangler owners?
Sponsored