Sponsored

Getting more power out of the 3.6 (even a little)!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR, 2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Hehe , no argument here... just posting facts and experiences....
In regards to the sound, My AFE power hi tuck muffler fixed the OEM beer can sound and bloated shape. Just another mod and easy fix to that old argument...

Also when I subtract 16 from 20, I get 4mpg but maybe my calculator is broken... but I don't know anyone who gets 18mpgs with a n/a v6 on 35s or 37s with a decent lift. But maybe you're that guy 😆

Maybe with a stock build someone will manage to get 18mpgs but then a stock 2L i4 is getting 24 mpgs. So there's that...
Not sure where you're getting your numbers man...It's 1 MPG, see image below.

And just in case you doubt it, it's been tested:

(The above comparison video even has the 6cyl with 35's and the 4cyl with stock wheels. The 4 banger still only 1-2 MPG better bud : )

Jeep Wrangler JL Getting more power out of the 3.6 (even a little)! fuel.JPG
Sponsored

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
I just put 5.13s in mine and it feels like it has the factory tires on it even though I am running 37s.
Dont get me wrong I am not going to be winning any races, but its close if not the same as stock. I am getting 16mpg now. And with re-gear I am driving aggressive. I have 8th gear back...If I am on flat land I can hot 8th gear at like 50mph. Tranny isn't hunting anymore. Definitely feels much improved. Does it feel powerful, no, but it feels "stock"

That being said I test drove a few lifted f-150s as I considered moving away from my jeep if the re-gear wasn't much improvement. You'll never feel that much power unless you get a jeep/truck with a V8 or throw a turbo on a 6cylinder. All the COI and exhaust in the world won't defy physics.

Hope that input helps

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
You've got the 6 speed so you aren't going to get the response you are looking for. I had one as well and I always wanted more out of it and it just wouldn't give it to me. Even with 4.88 gears with my 37s, maybe 5.13s would have been better. I bought a HikeIt and it helped a little but the fact is the auto is way more responsive especially if you put a HikeIt on it.
I sold my 6 speed and went back to an auto and I am much happier.
I did the same thing, my 2 door Rubi was such a dog and from a dead stop almost impossible to not be a traffic hazard if going up hill.

AndrewFerg

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Does anyone have real world experience with getting more power out of the 3.6? Perhaps with a CAI, better flowing exhaust, or other cheaper mod? Without going forced induction due to the cost. Just looking to squeeze even a little more out of it!
I added the following and immediately felt my 2021 Jeep jlu Rubicon with a 35-in package to be more lively. Sounds a heck of a lot better too. Red Rock axle-back exhaust ($334)
Red Rock cold air intake ($143)

Sponsored

AndrewFerg

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Does anyone have real world experience with getting more power out of the 3.6? Perhaps with a CAI, better flowing exhaust, or other cheaper mod? Without going forced induction due to the cost. Just looking to squeeze even a little more out of it!
I have a 2021 Rubi with the 35" package, 4.65 rear, and tow package. With the air and cat back exhaust, and a very heavy foot it feels quick. My other cars are 400 and 600 HP so I have good comparisons. One thing to consider is range vs power which is why I wasn't interested in a 392 or to supercharge. The range is already low . . . even carrying an extra 6 gallons, I want more range. I won't do anything to add more power if the MPG goes down - unless I get that aftermarket extended fuel tank. When I'm off road, the nearest gas station is a LONG ways away. Towing a small trailer dropped my MPG by 2. If you are just running around town, I'd get the 392 or look at a supercharger or plan on carrying extra fuel.

jimbobbeg

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
To actually answer your question. This is what I did resulting in a power increase of 13.76 HP at the top end. I installed the following (and nothing else):
  • aFe Power Momentum GT CAI
  • aFe Twisted Steel 2.25" Y-pipe
  • aFe Rebel Series 2.50" Cat-Back Exhaust
Here's the before and after. And it sounds much better!

Attachments

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Current gt is 4.2, which is still slower than 4.0 in the 392 xr according to car and drivers testing? Explain how 4.2 beats 4.0? Now let's put them on the Rubicon trail. Pretty pathetic that a lifted jeep on 35's beats the mustang to 60, but not as pathetic as the mustangs off road performance.
I wouldnt say it is pathetic.

Theres a lot to sports car after 60 mph. In fact. Sure maybe the 392 can surprise the Mustang from a stop light in the city. But on a freeway the 392 does not have a chance, once both of them are already at speed. Add some dynamics to the track and that brick is gonna end up upside down.

No professional race driver will choose a Jeep. that's just nonsense. From 0-60mph it is all that V8. After that, the game ends.

The Mustang isn't even the best choice when it comes to speed. It is not all about acceleration and a lot needs to be balanced when building a sports car. The 392 is as much as a sports car as the Mustang and I am honestly not surprised by that, since it looks like a brick and has a V8.

But if all the driver wants to do is floor it from a red light until the next traffic light over and over again until they hit a cyclist or pedestrian. Then sure we can buy a V8 Jeep and jerk around town. But that's all the Jeep can do in terms of "speed". Jerk around town.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I wouldnt say it is pathetic.

Theres a lot to sports car after 60 mph. In fact. Sure maybe the 392 can surprise the Mustang from a stop light in the city. But on a freeway the 392 does not have a chance, once both of them are already at speed. Add some dynamics to the track and that brick is gonna end up upside down.

No professional race driver will choose a Jeep. that's just nonsense. From 0-60mph it is all that V8. After that, the game ends.

The Mustang isn't even the best choice when it comes to speed. It is not all about acceleration and a lot needs to be balanced when building a sports car. The 392 is as much as a sports car as the Mustang and I am honestly not surprised by that, since it looks like a brick and has a V8.

But if all the driver wants to do is floor it from a red light until the next traffic light over and over again until they hit a cyclist or pedestrian. Then sure we can buy a V8 Jeep and jerk around town. But that's all the Jeep can do in terms of "speed". Jerk around town.
It's definitely not a sports car, and was never intended to be. The fact that it will embarass most sports cars while being a lifted brick on 35's capable of running the Rubicon trail in stock form is nothing short of amazing. The gt weighs 1500lbs less and also has a v8, still pathetic that it loses 0-60 and in the 1/4 mile to any stock wrangler in my opinion.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
It's definitely not a sports car, and was never intended to be. The fact that it will embarass most sports cars while being a lifted brick on 35's capable of running the Rubicon trail in stock form is nothing short of amazing. The gt weighs 1500lbs less and also has a v8, still pathetic that it loses 0-60 and in the 1/4 mile to any stock wrangler in my opinion.
Maybe because the Mustang is geared for top speed? idk just throwing a hypothetical here.

I guess the 392 hemi is a better engine than whatever Ford throws in the Mustang.

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure where you're getting your numbers man...It's 1 MPG, see image below.

And just in case you doubt it, it's been tested:

(The above comparison video even has the 6cyl with 35's and the 4cyl with stock wheels. The 4 banger still only 1-2 MPG better bud : )

Jeep Wrangler JL Getting more power out of the 3.6 (even a little)! fuel.JPG
Interesting apples & oranges comparison 🤔 But what is impressive is the gains that the E-torque gives the v6 wagon vs the non E-torque i4 turbo wagon.
It would have been really cool to see an Apples to Apples comparison with both engines WITH E-torque...

FYI, I got the rare unicorn 2 door JLR 2L turbo WITH E-Torque which is now available in the v6 but sadly no longer with the i4...

NOTE: my stock sticker MPG estimates are 2-3 higher than those 2L i4 without e-torque (see below)...

Jeep Wrangler JL Getting more power out of the 3.6 (even a little)! 20220531_182518

My Intial comments of lower v6 mpgs were based on personal experience with NON E-torque engines & 35 tires. So for the those v6 owners WITH E-torque congratulations!!! SERIOUSLY impressive to see them come closer to my 20mpg (actually 19.8). But remember I'm running 37s... sooooooooo with 35s I might be at 22mpg, which would be 4 mpgs better than that v6 @18 mpg... but who cares at this point...Capeesh!?!?
Sponsored